Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What The ****, Google?

Conn

Yep I'm a douche and don't do IT work. :)

I know it came off kinda harsh, not all mac users are obviously...but you were coming off kinda arrogant about it all, almost like a Steelers fan from DC :)

My basic interaction with Mac users is:

Mac User: My mac is better than a PC

Me: Why? What makes it better?

MU: It just is, you wouldn't understand.

Me: Oh please enlighten me

MU: It will never have issues, PC's always have issues

Me: Rainbow wheel o' death

MU: What's that?

Me: How long have you had your mac?

MU: I dunno, a couple of weeks, I'd explain why it's better but you just wouldn't understand

Me: You have no idea what you are talking about do you?

MU: <crickets>

I relate Steelers fans to Mac users because I really do like both products, but to pretend like it has no flaws is stupid. They all have their flaws, use them long enough and you can find crap in them all.

EDIT: And I can buy 3 PC's for the price of 1 Mac and all 3 PC's will have better specs and better performance than the Mac, and will have less issues working with 3 party software/hardware

macs are for people who want to be douches....basically they buy it because it has the best commercials, yay commercials...smh

I stay out of the Mac vs PC debate, but I am going to assume you were joking. Because if not that is a 100% jackass statement, and one that is ridiculous

I have a Mac because 1. It works great for viedo editing for the film work I do and 2. It has given me a lot fewer problems then any PC I ever owned.

Then again, I never worked in IT so I guess I dont know what I am talking about :rolleyes:

I stay out of the Mac vs PC debate, but I am going to assume you were joking. Because if not that is a 100% jackass statement, and one that is ridiculous

I have a Mac because 1. It works great for viedo editing for the film work I do and 2. It has given me a lot fewer problems then any PC I ever owned.

Then again, I never worked in IT so I guess I dont know what I am talking about :rolleyes:

If you see the post I put up afterwards to chippy I openly admit its an over exaggeration, but the majority of Mac users I know claim they will never have problems...all electronic devices will have issues after a certain amount of use. I readily admit that Mac is fantastic for video, music, arts, etc., I don't dislike Macs, I dislike arrogant Mac users. I don't get the sarcasm at the end of your post if you aren't sure if I am joking or not, but realistically if you haven't done IT work, how would you know anything about anything?

If you see the post I put up afterwards to chippy I openly admit its an over exaggeration, but the majority of Mac users I know claim they will never have problems...all electronic devices will have issues after a certain amount of use. I readily admit that Mac is fantastic for video, music, arts, etc., I don't dislike Macs, I dislike arrogant Mac users. I don't get the sarcasm at the end of your post if you aren't sure if I am joking or not, but realistically if you haven't done IT work, how would you know anything about anything?

My apologies. I missed that post.

I am not naive enough to think an electronic device will not have problems. Hell, it has been proven I have a high electromagnetic field or whatever it is called. I go through watches like candy at any given time, and I could never work on hardware.

That said, I have had nothing but great experiences with apple, and the two times I had problems with it the apple store repaired it 100% free of charge.

I have two family members who majored in both computer science and computer engineering, and one who builds computers for less fortunate people from scratch in her free time. Though just growing up around computers I think it is fairly easy to pick up the basics, especially with the way colleges are requiring computer classes now a days.

My apologies. I missed that post.

I am not naive enough to think an electronic device will not have problems. Hell, it has been proven I have a high electromagnetic field or whatever it is called. I go through watches like candy at any given time, and I could never work on hardware.

That said, I have had nothing but great experiences with apple, and the two times I had problems with it the apple store repaired it 100% free of charge.

I have two family members who majored in both computer science and computer engineering, and one who builds computers for less fortunate people from scratch in her free time. Though just growing up around computers I think it is fairly easy to pick up the basics, especially with the way colleges are requiring computer classes now a days.

no worries, and I have an iPhone and can vouch for their customer service. while i think their genius'...well....aren't, their phone customer service is second to none, I love applecare.

i actually have the same issue with static electricity, an old boss of mine gave me a grounder and i've had it for awhile now, keeps me from destroying my laptop, iphone, universal remotes, basically anything electronic, and it being the winter does not help either.

in regards to the classes being available through college now and computers being a part of everyday life, I believe the basics are easy to pick up, but there's a reason the IT field is one of the biggest and best. it requires years of actually being hands on to know the ins and outs of just a basic workstation, and that's not even getting started on servers, webservers, VPN, etc. kids these days might know how to find their way around a computer and type quickly, but when they start getting redirected by google to random websites, lol, you will find them posting on the tailgate to have someone else fix their issue.

BTW I've only been doing professional IT work for about 8 years, but both parents are CS majors, mom double majored in Math, and worked for NASA. They still come to me when they need computer work done, BS in AIT for Databases and Programming and getting Masters in SWE. I act arrogant about computers for a reason :)

Iphone was my only apple product that was a lemon. Went through 4 in 2 months, finally just gave up.

I went to a small liberal arts college, and I had minimal computer work, but my fiance is a senior and they are making all students take at least one computer hardware class where they have to build a computer. Granted it is not 100% from scratch, but it is still pretty impressive.

I have no idea what those acronyms mean, except that if my computer breaks you can pobably fix it quicker then I could.

PS. Never heard of using a grounder. Where would I get one/ what is it.

Sorry for hijacking the thread Conn

Iphone was my only apple product that was a lemon. Went through 4 in 2 months, finally just gave up.

I went to a small liberal arts college, and I had minimal computer work, but my fiance is a senior and they are making all students take at least one computer hardware class where they have to build a computer. Granted it is not 100% from scratch, but it is still pretty impressive.

I have no idea what those acronyms mean, except that if my computer breaks you can pobably fix it quicker then I could.

PS. Never heard of using a grounder. Where would I get one/ what is it.

Sorry for hijacking the thread Conn

I haven't had issues with mine yet, but I have had friends that had a few complaints, nothing that apple didn't take care of ASAP. Again, applecare is the only warranty I will buy because I find they earn every penny of it.

Not trying to down what your fiance is doing at all because someone who builds a computer that does not have a computer background is actually doing pretty extensive work (I agree impressive since she is not majoring in an IT related field), but building one from scratch can be much trickier, unless they are generic builds (same computer every time, basic blueprint). I'm a geek, sort of, but MicroCenter is my bff, lol.

Acronyms: VPN - Virtual Private Network, CS - Computer Science, AIT - Applied Information Technology, SWE - Software Engineering

Grounder is just my nickname for it, i'm not sure if anyone else actually calls them that but here are links for what they are:

http://www.gtcomp.com/p-2517-antistatic-wrist-band-blue.aspx

http://www.gtcomp.com/p-1937-antistatic-wrist-band-adjustable.aspx

Basically, your static shock won't be staticky anymore and you won't break anything, lol

Conn should be fine, I posted the fix to his issue earlier. He's prolly fixing it himself as we speak.

If you want to do your online banking, credit cards, etc on a Windows box that will ultimately need some sort of norton, adware, malwarebytes scan, that is your prerogative. Just realize, malware is no joke. It's not something I trivialize, which is why I made the switch. If these things didn't exist, i would run Windows 7 with a smile :)

All I have is Comodo Internet Security. It's all I've had since I got this laptop. Takes no time to load on start up and has prevented any infection whatsoever. Is it fullproof? No, but no system is, and that includes Macs.

If the hacking etc. world decided, hey lets start making stuff to infect Macs, they could but why when PC's still dominate the market regardless of all the hipsters who have Macs.

(last sentence is sarcasm)

Agreed. I hate going in store, but the phone and internet support is great. And the few times I have gone in store they have been great, though I feel liek the turn around time is normally a bit of a drag (maybe I am just imatient)

Neat. Thank you, I will have to check those out.

I knew CS, but none of the others.

Yeah, she is really excited, esp. since she gets to keep the computer, but they are all using very generic dell parts, and the big objective (from what I can tell) if to be able to indentify the diffrent internal and external parts of a computer.

---------- Post added January-27th-2011 at 12:09 PM ----------

All I have is Comodo Internet Security. It's all I've had since I got this laptop. Takes no time to load on start up and has prevented any infection whatsoever. Is it fullproof? No, but no system is, and that includes Macs.

If the hacking etc. world decided, hey lets start making stuff to infect Macs, they could but why when PC's still dominate the market regardless of all the hipsters who have Macs.

Really? I have heard it is harder to do so because of the fact it is compartmentalized, or something along those lines

exactly, and I bet chippy wears skinny jeans too!

---------- Post added January-27th-2011 at 12:20 PM ----------

Agreed. I hate going in store, but the phone and internet support is great. And the few times I have gone in store they have been great, though I feel liek the turn around time is normally a bit of a drag (maybe I am just imatient)

Neat. Thank you, I will have to check those out.

I knew CS, but none of the others.

Yeah, she is really excited, esp. since she gets to keep the computer, but they are all using very generic dell parts, and the big objective (from what I can tell) if to be able to indentify the diffrent internal and external parts of a computer

Really? I have heard it is harder to do so because of the fact it is comparmetaziled, or something along those lines

it's pretty cool when you are building a computer that you are actually going to use yourself, if she's feeling really explorative have her POST test her motherboard

-POST Testing Your Motherboard

-To POST Test the motherboard we now need to turn the hardware on. To do this we will use a flat head screw driver to connect the power switch pins on the motherboard.

-Refer to your motherboard manual for help in identifying these pins. These are commonly labeled red, black, or green but can vary depending on the motherboard. It is always best to refer to the manual to locate these pins.

-Once you have located the two (2) pins for the power switch take your flathead screw driver and connect the two pins to power on the board.

-When you tap them with the screw driver you should see your CPU fan start to spin. In a couple seconds you should hear a beep from your motherboard. One beep means the board has successfully POSTed.

It's the one thing I still remember that I thought was really cool when I first started building computers, who needs a power button, lol, I have a flathead screwdriver!

Also, pretty sure comparmetaziled isn't a word, haha

My gripe with google is that now when you search, then you click the down/up arrows, it brings up some stupid in-page scroll where the down button goes from line item to line item, versus just scrolling the page down like it used to.

Thank goodness it's not just me that notices how annoying this is!

Lots of helpful information in this thread, I'll be looking through it all more carefully and deciding on a course of action when I get back and actually have my laptop handy. I'm still surprised that it even happened, I've got Kaspersky AV running all the time. But, stuff slips through the cracks.

Everyone's been crazy helpful, thanks! I'll update if I have any questions, and to let everyone know my progress :ols:

Lots of helpful information in this thread, I'll be looking through it all more carefully and deciding on a course of action when I get back and actually have my laptop handy. I'm still surprised that it even happened, I've got Kaspersky AV running all the time. But, stuff slips through the cracks.

Everyone's been crazy helpful, thanks! I'll update if I have any questions, and to let everyone know my progress :ols:

Once you get it fixed, you may also get the subscription to malwarebytes. It's like $26 one time, I think, and then you can set it to update/scan daily.

Conn - Don't waste money getting a simple anti-virus. Get an Internet Security suite that has antivirus, antimalware and a firewall in one. It'll be less confusing, cheaper probably in the end and lighter on system resources to not have to load up three separate programs or probably two since anti virus and andi spyware are connected nowadays.

So I just noticed that I have a redirect on one of my computers.

A google search brings up a list, then when you click a link, it takes you to a scour.com website. Not the requested link. The back browser takes you back, but it is annoying, and I don't know how dangerous in the long run.

So I just noticed that I have a redirect on one of my computers.

A google search brings up a list, then when you click a link, it takes you to a scour.com website. Not the requested link. The back browser takes you back, but it is annoying, and I don't know how dangerous in the long run.

I put the fix for this earlier in the thread. I have found that finding the registry keys associated with it and deleting them are the easiest way to go, but only if you are familiar with regedit.

Archived