Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins 27 Texans 10 3:51 left in 3rd

Houston2Taylor2Landry

For those of you who don't remember, this was the score week 2 against the Texans more than halfway through the 3rd Quarter. Texans would then proceed to comeback and beat us in overtime and IMO this is what changed the season for the 2010 Washington Redskins.

My question is to you.....What was going through your head when Cooley caught that pass to go up by 17?

For me....This team is gonna be unstoppable, We got Mcnabb and Cooley,we got Moss and Galloway and Freddy Davis. Clinton Portis and Larry Johnson haven't even gotten going yet and we are blowing out this team by 17 points!

Don't mention we got Orakpo and Landry is playing God Like!

I thought we were a legit playoff contender at that point and I was surprised we were this good---this quick under Shanahan's 1st year....but the realities of an inexperienced 3-4 defense came to realization. I'm not surprised it happened...I was dissapointed but ehh. We are a rebuilding team so I didn't ********* about it.

This was the turning point in our season, no doubt in my mind. Matter of fact, I wanted to start a thread entitled, "The season was over after we lost to the Texans" but I though people would accuse me of being pessimistic or fatalistic or whatever. But I just knew it.

It is one of those losses that kicks you in the throat and the team never recovers. That's exactly what it was. So discouraging.

To answer your question, when Cooley caught that TD I thought, "man we actually might have a good team. 2-0 here we come." Then Matt Schaub proceeded to throw all over us like we were a high school team. This is why I saw we need secondary help, or need to get away from the zone coverage. Because he made us look like fools. Pass rush would be nice too.

Reed Doughty learn how to jump.

In this game Gano goes 2 for 4 on FG tries and we lose by 3 points. I can't stress this enough, the single biggest point of failure for us this year was our kicker. No team wins when they leave points out on the field week after week. Yet many here simply overlook Gano and blame everyone else because not all kickers start off being very good and it's possible that he gets his **** together next season....

In this game Gano goes 2 for 4 on FG tries and we lose by 3 points. I can't stress this enough, the single biggest point of failure for us this year was our kicker. No team wins when they leave points out on the field week after week. Yet many here simply overlook Gano and blame everyone else because not all kickers start off being very good and it's possible that he gets his **** together next season....

It wasn't entirely his fault. On the block, that was all Sleepy Eyes 86, and to ask a second year kicker to hit two 50 yarders back to back is putting a lot on him.

It wasn't entirely his fault. On the block, that was all Sleepy Eyes 86, and to ask a second year kicker to hit two 50 yarders back to back is putting a lot on him.

Yeah this is true. Fred Davis straight up missed his block and you can't fault Gano for that. He also nailed us the game winner had the Texans not gone with the timeout right at the snap.

This was the turning point in our season, no doubt in my mind. Matter of fact, I wanted to start a thread entitled, "The season was over after we lost to the Texans" but I though people would accuse me of being pessimistic or fatalistic or whatever. But I just knew it.

It is one of those losses that kicks you in the throat and the team never recovers. That's exactly what it was. So discouraging.

To answer your question, when Cooley caught that TD I thought, "man we actually might have a good team. 2-0 here we come." Then Matt Schaub proceeded to throw all over us like we were a high school team. This is why I saw we need secondary help, or need to get away from the zone coverage. Because he made us look like fools. Pass rush would be nice too.

Reed Doughty learn how to jump.

I actually think the reason we lost was Landry....He was playing so Awesome that he was hurting himself....He left the game for 1 play and Horton blew his coverage and they were in FG range.

It was great seeing Landry slam Schaub to the ground on like 4 straight drop backs.

Imo, kickers are the second most important position on a team, after the quarterback. Kickers can (and will) single-handedly win or lose the game and can determine the field-position meta-game. Somewhat off-topic, but what baffles me is when people say kickers are not football players, useless, etc. It's possibly the hardest position to play in the league, as only 32 guys in the entire country can start as a pro and probably only 6 or 7 actually excel at the position. Basically I'm trying to say that there's not many options outside of Gano at this point.

What's your feeling on asking your kicker to hit anything from 50+? Now realize that Gano was perfect on the year from that distance missing everything he tried. He was also only 57% from all his tries from 30-39 yards. Not everything with a kick is perfect but you can expect better from a professional

---------- Post added January-17th-2011 at 11:22 AM ----------

Imo, kickers are the second most important position on a team, after the quarterback. Kickers can (and will) single-handedly win or lose the game and can determine the field-position meta-game. Somewhat off-topic, but what baffles me is when people say kickers are not football players, useless, etc. It's possibly the hardest position to play in the league, as only 32 guys in the entire country can start as a pro and probably only 6 or 7 actually excel at the position.

Actually agree with most everything you said here about kickers. They are incredibly important to the teams success. I disagree with your "only 6-7" good ones in the league today. That's not accurate and neither is Gano

Basically I'm trying to say that there's not many options outside of Gano at this point.

Really? Last time I checked Gano was ranked 38th overall for percentage of Field Goal kicks made this season and there are only 32 NFL teams in the league. Still think we can't do better then Gano?

For those of you who don't remember, this was the score week 2 against the Texans more than halfway through the 3rd Quarter. Texans would then proceed to comeback and beat us in overtime and IMO this is what changed the season for the 2010 Washington Redskins.

My question is to you.....What was going through your head when Cooley caught that pass to go up by 17?

For me....This team is gonna be unstoppable, We got Mcnabb and Cooley,we got Moss and Galloway and Freddy Davis. Clinton Portis and Larry Johnson haven't even gotten going yet and we are blowing out this team by 17 points!

Don't mention we got Orakpo and Landry is playing God Like!

i wouldnt say that game was the turning point of our season. we lost that game which hurt a little bit, 1-1. lost to the rams, 1-2. played a great game against the eagles, 2-2. played a great 2nd half against the packers, 3-2. almost beat the colts, 3-3. beat the bears, 4-3. had a great chance to beat the lions with 5 minutes left, up by 5 points, and enter the bye week with a 5-3 record, but of course we all know how that turned out...in my opinion, the 3 turning point games this season were the game in detroit, losing to the eagles, and losing to the vikings after we had just beaten the titans. now, would beating the texans and/or rams have helped us? maybe. but we had a great chance to make a run for the playoffs by the time we played detroit.

I was happy that we were playing so well after the win against Dallas. The Texans aren't that good and I thought we were going to be in the playoffs. But what happened was the trend of the rest of the season for the Redskins. It showed that this team can't be consistent or beat the teams they should beat. The texans did what they have done the last few years and that is lose more than they win. We lost to other teams like the Texans, the Lions and Rams come to mind. Until this team learns to have that killer instinct and stop feeling good about one or two good plays they will start to win. Celebrations are for the times after you win the game and not for one great hit or INT that they made during the game. I believe that Shanahan is making that happen slowly and this next season may be a little different than this year. I think we will win enough to make the playoffs. Just a hunch.

Imo, kickers are the second most important position on a team, after the quarterback. Kickers can (and will) single-handedly win or lose the game and can determine the field-position meta-game. Somewhat off-topic, but what baffles me is when people say kickers are not football players, useless, etc. It's possibly the hardest position to play in the league, as only 32 guys in the entire country can start as a pro and probably only 6 or 7 actually excel at the position. Basically I'm trying to say that there's not many options outside of Gano at this point.
How about spending one of those camp fodder draft picks (5th thru 7th rounds) on Alex Henery of Nebraska? 18 of 21 as a Junior with a long of 57 yards; 56 of 57 PAT. 24 of 28 as a senior with a long of 52 yards; 38 of 38 PAT. Oh, and he's also a pretty good backup punter 77 punts, 41.4 avg., 31 punts inside the 20. Just a thought. He could be competiton for both punter and kicker.

Just a thought on an option that won't cost much.

I can remember it like yesterday!

I was sitting about ten rows up in the end zone opposite of where Cooley scored, and I was just thinking to myself, "Wow, we haven't looked this good in years!" FedEx was rocking, and I thought we may have a shot to compete for a playoff spot. Soon after that in typical Redskins fashion, the wheels fell off.

It was a great game until we gave it away though. Hopefully next year we will be able to finish games like that one.

How about spending one of those camp fodder draft picks (5th thru 7th rounds) on Alex Henery of Nebraska? 18 of 21 as a Junior with a long of 57 yards; 56 of 57 PAT. 24 of 28 as a senior with a long of 52 yards; 38 of 38 PAT. Oh, and he's also a pretty good backup punter 77 punts, 41.4 avg., 31 punts inside the 20. Just a thought. He could be competiton for both punter and kicker.

Just a thought on an option that won't cost much.

I think that Durant Brooks tainted a lot of people's views on drafting a kicker.

That was the zenith of my optimism this year. I promised myself I wouldn't get excited about the Redskins since it was a transition season, but for that fleeting moment, I said to myself "my word, this team is going to compete for the division."

Once again, and as they've done my whole life, the Redskins let me down. That game hurt so much, almost as much as the Dallas-Washington '99 opener, which was the first Redskins game I saw in full, and losing the division round game to the Bucs a few months after that.

How could I be so stupid? Why did I let myself get excited like that? I KNEW what was going to happen. Why did I let myself get my hopes up again?

Archived