Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anthony Armstrong wants Donovan McNabb back and so do I

TheDiplomat

I really don't understand how so many people believe that McNabb now sucks and is washed-up. He was a pro-bowl quarterback last year - not 5 years ago.

The fact of the matter is that his skill set does not fit the system that Kyle wants to run. There are 2 types of coaches in the NFL - those who believe in their system 100% and make the player conform to the system (and blame bad results on the player) and those who change their system to take advantage of a quarterback's strengths and weaknesses. It is a lot harder on a coach to match a system to a player but that is what Reid did throughout McNabb's career. Kyle refused to do it - especially since he knew Rex could run his system as he envisioned it.

With that being understood, it makes no sense bringing back McNabb because he can't succeed in this system. It isn't because he is washed-up, fat, lazy or has bad work habits - it is because his talents just don't match this system. He can probably throw the best deep ball in the league and scramble out of trouble better than 80% of other quarterbacks - but accuracy will never be a strong suit. He also loves to improvise, something which drove Kyle nuts. If he had trusted McNabb from day 1 it probably would not have mattered but Rex was always the one he thought best suited to his system.

McNabb asked to be released at the end of the season. I doubt he stays

Then wavered and says he wants to stay

---------- Post added January-13th-2011 at 02:47 PM ----------

No matter what anyone says, I think DM5 is the best QB we've had in many years. I'd love to see him back with a year under his belt.

If he needs to improve on some things, give him time to do it. But, at the same time, cater to what he's good at more often.

If he can't get it done next year, move him. He provides us the best chance to win now and for the next couple of years at least.

I got ya on a new system and expecting a small miracle. I would rather see what Rex has for more then 3 games

I like both Rex and McNabb a lot. Straight up I would take McNabb, but he played in a much better system than Rex ever did in his career when he was in Philly. Plus the Skins have A LOT of holes and overpaying for a QB who is getting up there in age is a mistake that so many teams have made in recent years.

Shanahan IMO is one of the best offensive coaches in the league over the past 20 years. I think he knows what he's doing when looking at the big picture.

I wish they were on different teams because I like watching both play.

I never come out and say something like this, simply because I don't think it's necessary and one thing is for sure, we're all Redskin fans... That said, I'm going to come out and say this:

Do some of you watch the games? Best quarterback we've had in years? He put up worse numbers than Jason Campbell, who was essentially HATED on this forum. It really makes me wonder if some of you watch these games. McNabb, with the Redskins, is a failure of epic proportions. McNabb with the Eagles was a borderline hall of famer. There's a difference between the two.

How anyone can want this guy back is beyond me.

Pretty much his only saving grace was he threw it deep a couple times a game. I'm not gonna rip him though, but you just could've acheived the same results with Campbell and kept the picks in your pocket and not had the circus. If Shanahan had benched Jason Campbell, the uproar would've been nonexistent. You bench McNabb and all hell breaks loose.

---------- Post added January-13th-2011 at 03:43 PM ----------

I'm not totally convinced I want Armstrong back so I certainly don't care about his opinion on the QB.

What's your beef with Armstrong?

If you told me that we'd lose MC5 in return for a 4th or earlier draft pick then I have to take that offer. If you said we'd lose MC5 and get a 5th or later or no draft picks or players for him then I'd tell you to **** off and refuse that offer.

This team needs draft picks. If we can recoup a 1, 2, 3, or 4th round draft pick for McNabb then we have no choice but to do that. If the league is just sitting around waiting for us to cut him and wont give anything for him then we should keep him. Some one needs to teach the young guy and lead this team. If we are going to lose our leader for nothing we are idiots. We need to get something for him.

All I know is if he does come back I want to know that no one offered us a 4th or earlier pick and then I'll gladly take him back. If the team plays hardball and keeps him and turns down a 4th round pick then I'm going to be pissed

Pretty much his only saving grace was he threw it deep a couple times a game. I'm not gonna rip him though, but you just could've acheived the same results with Campbell and kept the picks in your pocket and not had the circus. If Shanahan had benched Jason Campbell, the uproar would've been nonexistent. You bench McNabb and all hell breaks loose.

We could have achieved the same results trading Campbell and starting Grossman + a 4th rounder.

We could have achieved the same results trading Campbell and starting Grossman + a 4th rounder.

+1...and that is why this club will never get out of its own way. It appears that the Redskins are worse off now then they were after the 20009 season. Andy Reid was shrewd to give WAS Mcnabb for those two draft picks because he will get sustainable production and the Skins just get more turmoil.

Rex clearly isn't the answer and in my opinion Mike does not either.

Not sure why people keep saying Rex clearly isn't the answer. He's more of an answer than McNabb is -- that was proven this year. I'm not talking longterm -- I'm talking as a bridge guy. When you consider they would have to learn the offense, what other journeyman out there is going to do better than Grossman did? Pretty sure Shanahan will come to same conclusion. Could be wrong though. Usually am!

If we draft Gabbert or Locker - both of which I am warming up to, BTW - what are the chances we let them sit a year under McNabb or Grossman? If that's the case, would you rather have them sit and learn behind McNabb or Grossman?

McNabb to me would be a better mentor QB, while Grossman would be able to help out with the X's and O's.

I really don't understand how so many people believe that McNabb now sucks and is washed-up. He was a pro-bowl quarterback last year - not 5 years ago.

The fact of the matter is that his skill set does not fit the system that Kyle wants to run. There are 2 types of coaches in the NFL - those who believe in their system 100% and make the player conform to the system (and blame bad results on the player) and those who change their system to take advantage of a quarterback's strengths and weaknesses. It is a lot harder on a coach to match a system to a player but that is what Reid did throughout McNabb's career. Kyle refused to do it - especially since he knew Rex could run his system as he envisioned it.

I agree w/ you.

I think the fact that Rex already knew the system/Kyle may have hindered Kyle and McNabb's relationship.

In any QB/OC relationship there are gonna be times when they disagree. (which is where the QB coach should come into play as the QB advocate).

But Kyle, LeFleuer and Rex all have worked together in Houston.

I wonder if they ever had the 'we got to make this work' feeling w/ McNabb'?

I wonder what effect knowing and working w/Rex, someone who already knew the system, had on the OC-QB coach-QB dynamic.

ALthough i disagree w/ the decision to bench McNabb and to 'evaluate' Rex; if Kyle and McNabb don't feel like they can work together someone has to go.

And its not gonna be Kyle.

I don't see how so many of you can still support McNabb as 'the best qb we've had in years' and things like that. After 13 games, it was obvious he wasn't. Mark Brunell had better years. Todd Collins had a better 4 game stretch than McNabb ever did this year. And don't tell me he was about to go for 4000 yards, I don't care. I watched every game of every play, and if nothing else, I remember myself saying "GOD DAMNIT MCNABB" over and over. Awful decision making, awful passes in the dirt. His so called awesome long bombs ten yards short so guys are running back to the ball. It was pretty damn awful

Two coaches have virtually given up on Donovan. Two respected coaches. It's his age. It's his money. He's always been inconsistent. If he was truly a franchise quarterback he'd still be in Philly. Team needs to go young. Grossman cheaper bridge. Makes sense. I like the fact he's made a decisive decision and didn't linger around like we did with Jason for five years to only realize he's a serviceable quarterback and not a franchise quarterback.

Mike said as much himself. "It's when you are afraid to admit to your mistakes that gets you in in trouble."

Question for everyone dogging McNabb......Do you think a 2nd year in this system would benefit him? Honestly? Rex and Mcnabb on an even keel and you'd be a fool not to take #5. Another off-season for McNabb and they would basically have the same familiarity. I guess I'm just tired of the constant turnover of our team. We have a franchise qb on the roster FINALLY and we want him gone after one season where he was on pace to break a skins all time record?

Go OL/DL in round 1 and 2 & be aggressive in FA on the lines. That'll give McNabb time and RB's room to run and our offense can go from there. I also think our 31st ranked defense had a substantial amount to do with our 6-10 record. We were 8th in passing yards this season and 18th in overall yards on O. And let us not forget McNabb was throwing to Moss/Cooley/Galloway/Williams/Armstrong all season long. Not the best supporting cast when you're under pressure b/c your OL blows. Despite this, Cooley tied his career high in rec yards and had his 2nd best season in receptions. Moss on the other hand put up a career high in receptions and the 2nd highest total of his career in rec yards. Dammit Shanny give the man a 2nd season to improve on these horrible statistics!!!!!

For the sake of continuity as well as maturity on the part of the organization, I hope McNabb does stay. Even if they draft a QB in the 1st round, McNabb still going to be their best option at the position.

:doh:

Why is he the best option at quarterback?

Why is he the best option at quarterback?

If there wasn't discord between Kyle and McNabb how could anyone claim that Rex is the better option?

Rex w/ all his knowledge of the offense was 1-2 againt 2 of the worst defenses in the NFL.

The stats that you mentioned in your previous post:

However, looking at stats in the simplest way possible (by just looking at numbers and not necessarily in context) and projecting these guys seasons out to a full 16 games, this is what you get:

But, you didn't look at the stats in the simplest way.

You made a projection based from Rex's 3 games.

And you know that context is very important b/c 2 of Rex's 3 games were against defenses ranked in the bottom of the league and that doesn't happen 2/3 of the time over the course of a 16 game season.

There are other important contextual differences for example: benefitting from the mistakes earlier in the season like finally removing the ineffective Joey Galloway from the line-ups, having a healthy Ryan Torrain

(probably our best offensive player) etc.

Context matters.

So again i ask you:

IF there wasn't discord between Kyle and McNabb how could anyone claim that Rex is the better option?

Hilarious has people are so willing to make excuses for McNabb but none for Grossman. Rex was a bad drop away from throwing 8 tds in three games against two teams fighting for the playoffs and a revitalized Dallas team. Not to mention he was playing for his livelihood -- if he played poorly, he may have never seen a NFL snap again. That's pressure. The guy isn't a stud or anything, but he will be a fine bridge QB for us.

I like McNabb too, but he simply isn't a franchise QB anymore. He never was an accurate passer and now his legs are going. When one isn't fundamentally sound, you decline quicker with age. McNabb is the classic example of that.

At this point, McNabb is a journeyman like Rex. One with a huge sense of entitlement -- showed it in Philly before DC. Very few teams were interested in him last year and now he's one year older and has shown he can't pick up a new system quick. I doubt any team will trade for him because they won't want to pay him like a franchise QB. They'll just wait for us to cut him and sign him to a cheaper deal.

Hey, I hope I'm wrong. I would love to get a draft pick for him. Maybe we will. But I see no way where is he under center for the Skins next year. Too much drama without enough payoff.

Because he doesn't fit the offense and Rex does.

Based on 3 games in an offense Rex knows better; 2 of those games against poor defenses and the result was a 1-2 record?

Rex's numbers don't reflect a definitive difference, he was marginally better despite his advantages we've previously discussed.

Based on 3 games in an offense Rex knows better; 2 of those games against poor defenses and the result was a 1-2 record?

Rex's numbers don't reflect a definitive difference, he was marginally better despite his advantages we've previously discussed.

Marginally better still equals better no matter how you slice it.

For the sake of continuity as well as maturity on the part of the organization, I hope McNabb does stay. Even if they draft a QB in the 1st round, McNabb still going to be their best option at the position.

I agree, I want McNabb to stay, I still believe in him. How can he be successful throwing the ball when he's laying on his back. Give him a good front line and some receivers. I'd like to see us draft a young qb and actually build him up to play. I wish we found room for Colt to play but it never happened.

I think the next Franchise QB for us might not come until 2020 when we sign Tom Brady.

Archived