Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anthony Armstrong wants Donovan McNabb back and so do I

TheDiplomat

Anthony Armstrong wants Donovan McNabb back

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2011/01/anthony_armstrong_wants_donova.html

Donovan wants to be back as you already know (12/21/10)

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/donovan-mcnabb/despite-demotion-donovan-mcnab.html

And I want him back as well. The writing is on the wall (most likely in permanent marker) since the "Detroit Benching" but man I'd love to have DMac back next fall as our starting QB. It was extremely frustrating at times to watch him play this year, but the man spent his entire 11 career in the same system prior to coming to Washington and was a VERY SUCCESSFUL QB in this league. Arguably a top 5 QB the majority of his years with the Eagles. You think he has lost all of his mojo already? I don't. Only one offseason under his belt in Shanny & son's offense and he was STILL on his way to breaking the Skins record for most passing yards in a season.

Go ahead and draft your qb of the future in the first (Or OL/DL as I prefer) but let him sit and learn for a couple of years. Especially considering most of the qb's coming out are being labeled as not NFL-ready at this point anyway. What's the worst that could happen? We have a viable starter in the league for 3-4 more years and then let our young guy come in ala Favre/Rodgers? Bring McNabb/Rookie QB/Rex/Beck into camp and I gaurantee you (Ok, think) that McNabb will out-perform the competition. The Haynesworth-Skins relationship is completely destroyed, but I don't believe the same can be said for the McNabb-Skins one.

LOL! I had to check the date of this thread to make sure it was recent.

Trust the coaches. McNabb is not welcome back. AA was a scrub and realized his first success with McNabb, so I don't blame him wanting #5 to stay. However, even a mediocre QB like Grossman is better than McNabb in this offense.

Terrible fit. McNabb was never accurate and fought the confines of our system... that was our fault. Best to part ways and both sides will be better for it. Can't wait till #5 is gone.

No matter what anyone says, I think DM5 is the best QB we've had in many years. I'd love to see him back with a year under his belt.

If he needs to improve on some things, give him time to do it. But, at the same time, cater to what he's good at more often.

If he can't get it done next year, move him. He provides us the best chance to win now and for the next couple of years at least.

Hope he stays too.

Sure up the defense and offensive line and give McNabb a few weapons to work with in the system. The majority of our games this year were very close. Another year of consistency at the quarterback position will only benefit the team.

oh yea 59-24 31-7 really close

I don't agree with bringing back McNabb at his current salary. Considering Rex played on par with McNabb at minimum I would be hesitant to tie that much money into McNabb and would rather have a mid round pick. If McNabb was willing to compete at a lesser price then I'd be ok with it but this team needs to move on from the constant drama.

McNabb may have the best RESUME of any QB we have had in years, and I agree on that point, but the question is, what can McNabb do for the Redskins in 2011 and beyond.

I think that question is too big, and the contract he signed, if they organization goes through with it, is a lot to invest in a QB that looked so poor in 2010.

I've vacillated on how good he currently is. I've always said we shouldn't have gotten him, mortgaging our future when we are not one player away from an SB.

He's not our future, but we could do a lot worse than McNabb as a starter. Would like whichever QB is better for us, Rex or Don.

I think the McNabb benching really wasn't an actual demotion. Just evaluating Grossman in comparison to McNabb and vice-versa. I know things seemed to pick up with Rex, but not sure things are decided. Somebody please inform me if things have been decided one way or the other, I'd really like to know.

I am so distressed about the McNabb situation. The complete hypocrisy involved in the handling of this franchise quarterback by the Shanahan's is absolutely disgusting. Look, as the OP said, draft a QB by all means! But Andrew Luck is back at Stanford and none of the remaining QB prospects are ready to step in and carry a team with our lack of talent on their backs. McNabb can carry that load and provide leadership and guidance for that rookie quarterback. I don't know about you guys and gals, but I would much rather have a Aaron Rodgers, Tony Romo sits to pee, Kevin Kolb type player 2-3 years from now than an Alex Smith and Matt Leinart today.

If all is equal in Redskins' fans eyes between Sexy Rexy and DMac, then give me Donovan. Rex played OK, and even that was without the pressure of being in playoff contention. This whole post is probably all for not but its gotta be said.

Donovan McNabb, you the man. I hope you get to go to a team that deserves you.

Hands up if you've never seen a QB's skills diminish after his tenth year.

Don't be shy,, appears there's a lot of you that thinks it's impossible.

Hey,, don't trust anyone on it,, but two coaches have given up on him in less than a year.

It's probably because he's great.

~Bang

I agree as well, but he may not be here next year. I dont want to draft a QB in this years first round (to big of a potential BUST, Jake Locker or Ryan Mallet you kidding me). Id rather have, Green, Julio Jones, Blackmon (playmaker WR or RB) in this years upcoming draft. McNabb had no one to throw too, no OL to give him time, just re-watch that Detroit Lions game. I hated we beat the Jauguars this season because we fell from possibly picking #6 and fell down to pick number 10. I want us to trade away a bunch of our players draft a playmaker in the first, and draft OL, LB, and possibly a NT if available. I think you got to let Mcnabb have another chance, and if we have a loosing record next season then "so be it." Andrew Luck might come out the following year:)

He was brought in with the "hope" of him being our franchise QB. Shanny was looking to solidifying the QB position. He made a mistake, and is doing the best he can to recover from it. Danny did what an owner does, and hyped the hell out of him.

The difference is that it's obvious that this coaching staff is going to do what they're going to do regardless of how the owner, fans, or league feels. I find it refreshing. We've had the opposite for a while now. Time for a new approach, and a new QB. If he wasn't getting a disgusting salary, I'd agree with keeping him, but it's just not responsible fiscally at this point.

Hands up if you've never seen a QB's skills diminish after his tenth year.

Don't be shy,, appears there's a lot of you that thinks it's impossible.

Hey,, don't trust anyone on it,, but two coaches have given up on him in less than a year.

It's probably because he's great.

~Bang

I think the biggest problem is that Redskins fans are tired of sleeping in the bed we make, which is perfectly understandble. However, the Redskins have a chance to build a franchise quarterback by utilizing a proven role model that is already under contract! I'm not saying that I hope donovan stays here until he's 40, just until the next quarterback is ready to step in and dominate. And that includes building the talent around the QB position.

I was totally on board with Shanny until the McNabb fiasco. The franchise could have been rebuilt within 2-3 years, but now I fear it will be even longer than that. Hail.

AA needs to stay quiet and let the FO handle the situation. Him crying and moaning about it won't bring Mcnabb back. And to be honest, we all know deep inside that it was a mistake for all parties involved.

Anthony Armstrong didn't call a press conference to discuss McNabb's future. He simply answered a question honestly. I love how the press makes it seems like they were tracked down by an athlete who has a burning opinion they want released.

Archived