Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anthony Armstrong wants Donovan McNabb back and so do I

TheDiplomat

It seems like the skins are a really good college b-ball player....one and done....every year...either changing coaches or qb's or some bs every year...i don't get the skins games unless I pay for that over priced direct nfl ticket and it's getting so I really don't won't to watch them anymore. I'll be 47 in a couple of months and have been a skins fan since I knew what a football was....yes I've been thru those really bad years when they didn't do crap, so I guess I've come full circle with them. Some how, some way they are going to have to make a decision and stick with it for a while...in case no one in the front office has noticed the good teams don't make the big changes year in and year out, they make small adjustments to continue to get better. I guess since I don't post here alot they are not going to call me and ask me what I think.lol. As fas as who the QB is next year, whoever that may be we still have the same O-line that allowed the QB to either be hurried or sacked. So with that we need a Cam type, big to take the bounding and can use his feet to make plays when..not if...the line breaks down.

Good post and good point. All of us fans scream about and call for some consistency in the orginazation so wouldnt letting a proven winning QB have a 2nd year to continue learning and growing in the system be the consistency that us fans have been wanting for so long now? Not to mention its the best shot this team has at winning a lil more next year.

I mean really what is the upside to having Grossman over McNabb? We wont win with Grossman and if we're going to suck anyway then why not have the better QB playing? Grossman wont help us win so really what is the point of him playing?

Its kinda crazy right?

In a season where Marty Morningwhig gets credit for helping Vick reach his potential, Chan Gailey gets credit for turning journeyman QB Ryan Fitzpatrick into a good starter and Charlie Weis gets credit for helping turn around Matt Cassell; multiple pro-bowler and borderline HOF QB struggles with a lackluster team in Washington under Kyle Shanahan and McNabb gets the blame b/c even though he came off a pro-bowl season he suddenly can't play QB.

I still think the upcoming labor problem might have more to do with the story than any of them tell us.

If there's a lockout, he's off a full year, and comes back at 35. By then it may be too late. Could be they expected to move on by then. Who knows,, we sure don't.

If he's slow in picking up the playbook, and in a lockout he can't practice (except on his own), can't work with his coaches..

And if that's what is coming, Shanahan can't say so. He's Management, and he can't tip the hand of the owners to give the reason why he's making the move.

No proof, just a hunch that it is playing a bigger part than we know.

~Bang

Armstrong is emotionally tied to McNabb. McNabb was the QB who actually trusted a 27 year old rookie (by all accounts) enough to throw him the ball. McNabb basically made his career. Still, Rex is the guy who gave him his first 100 yard game, so if I were him I'd be loyal to both... but I understand why he'd want McNabb back either way.

Still, it's better he doesn't talk about this in the open, since saying something like "I'd wait for Newton to fall to me and wouldn't take him at 10" is never the smart thing. If we do take Newton, I'm sure someone in the media will try to stir something between them about it.

I never come out and say something like this, simply because I don't think it's necessary and one thing is for sure, we're all Redskin fans... That said, I'm going to come out and say this:

Do some of you watch the games? Best quarterback we've had in years? He put up worse numbers than Jason Campbell, who was essentially HATED on this forum. It really makes me wonder if some of you watch these games. McNabb, with the Redskins, is a failure of epic proportions. McNabb with the Eagles was a borderline hall of famer. There's a difference between the two.

How anyone can want this guy back is beyond me.

I want McNabb back also and have never heard him say that he wanted his release from the Redskins after the season. There has been sources that have said that he did but none of them are reliable. I believe he will be back because he wants to stay and Shanahan will make it a competition that he will win. Grossman isn't the answer but he is a serviceable back-up but not a full time starter. Give McNabb another year at least and draft a QB of the future to learn under him and the Shanahan's.

I was on board with it as well, and for all the reasons you mention. I figured he'd be a good mentor, he'd be a good patch-over to the next guy, figured he still had gas in the tank. I loved the move, called it an "exponential upgrade at the most critical postition".

But, it appears not. Now, i've been called a Kool Aid drinker who just hangs on the word of Shanahan, but after all he gave up, to move on this quickly tells me he really doesn't like something, and it's not McNabb's breath.

In terms of wasted picks it's a disaster. But, if he doesn't fit, he doesn't fit. Trying to force it could end up a worse disaster.

~Bang

You're not drinking any Kool Aid on this one. There too much conclusive video proof this year. His play as bad and his deficiancies are the same they've always been and will never change at this stage of his career.

I want McNabb back also and have never heard him say that he wanted his release from the Redskins after the season.

No, only his agent has made a big deal out of it thus far in the media. But agents never speak out of turn, and since his agent is still employed, that speaks volumes about Donovan's thought process. I think his agent is a very reliable source when it comes to speaking his displeasure.

I believe he will be back because he wants to stay

What does this mean? He wants to be back because he wants to stay? He was practically sleeping on the sideline the last few games. He doesn't want to be here, and I don't blame him, but he knows circumstances dictate he might have to be (although not likely, it possible). Donovan isn't a dumb guy. He's not going to come out and trash anyone, no matter what. He's a classy man. But quite simply put, he doesn't fit our system or the coaches that brought him here.

Grossman isn't the answer but he is a serviceable back-up but not a full time starter. Give McNabb another year at least and draft a QB of the future to learn under him and the Shanahan's.

This statement, as it's repeated time and time again, still catches me off guard EVERY time. Grossman may not be the answer, but Grossman's numbers, in comparison with McNabb's are night and day. Grossman's turnover opportunity percentage is slightly higher than McNabb's... However, looking at stats in the simplest way possible (by just looking at numbers and not necessarily in context) and projecting these guys seasons out to a full 16 games, this is what you get:

McNabb: 338/580, 58.2% Completion, 4156 yards, 17 TD, 18 INT, 12 FUM

Grossman: 296/532, 55.6% Completion, 3536 yards, 28 TD, 16 INT, 16 FUM

How can anyone, looking at these stats definitively say that Grossman isn't the answer but imply that McNabb is? As far as I'm concerned, it's doubtful that either is the answer. But 28 touchdowns sure does look much better than 17. A positive touchdown to int ratio looks intriguing. Grossman has two more turnovers/turnover opportunities, which isn't good, but the number is two. Not ten or twelve, but two.

As for yards, who cares? Give me touchdowns and I'll forgive you for minimal yardage, so long as you're playing to the situation dictated to you.

Put this one in the "duh" column. If you were a 27 year old rookie who found success for the first time in your life, wouldn't you want to bring back the first QB who showed confidence in you and in turn, basically started your career? McNabb is basically his security blanket.

All he did was answer the question honestly.

You do realize that McNabb had only one lost fumble for the year. Most of those fumbles occured at the line on bad snaps and he recovered his own ball. If I recall correctly, Rex's fumbles went to the other team

It does not really matter what the stats show though. McNabb is done here because Kyle wants his own guy running his offense. I just wish that Kyle's opinion had been strongly considered before they traded for McNabb - if it had been McNabb would have never been a Skin.

You do realize that McNabb had only one lost fumble for the year. Most of those fumbles occured at the line on bad snaps and he recovered his own ball. If I recall correctly, Rex's fumbles went to the other team

I'm not interested in if the fumble went to the other team or not. I believe that fumbles recovered is an indicator of luck more than anything else. It's the act of fumbling that shows a players true propensity for hanging onto the football. So the fact that McNabb has lost one and Rex has lost four means nothing to me. A fumble is a fumble is a fumble.

It does not really matter what the stats show though. McNabb is done here because Kyle wants his own guy running his offense. I just wish that Kyle's opinion had been strongly considered before they traded for McNabb - if it had been McNabb would have never been a Skin.

He never should have been a 'Skin. I was optimistic that he'd be an upgrade over Campbell (I was wrong there), but I wasn't happy with the move because I knew he didn't fit (I was right there).

Talk about picking your poison. No McNabb insures Grossman will be our starter? McNabb isnt trusted by the OC, daddy's kid. That is a big problem. The battle spills out onto the field in our playcalling. Dont be fooled by them looking at faxes together. Our OC will call better games with his foot soldier at the helm, but he will throw in the odd bizarro INT and consistent fumbles.

We are screwed no matter what we do, so we might as well have a little fun. Toga, Toga. Oh nevermind. This isnt funny.

I was on board with it as well, and for all the reasons you mention. I figured he'd be a good mentor, he'd be a good patch-over to the next guy, figured he still had gas in the tank. I loved the move, called it an "exponential upgrade at the most critical postition".

But, it appears not. Now, i've been called a Kool Aid drinker who just hangs on the word of Shanahan, but after all he gave up, to move on this quickly tells me he really doesn't like something, and it's not McNabb's breath.

In terms of wasted picks it's a disaster. But, if he doesn't fit, he doesn't fit. Trying to force it could end up a worse disaster.

~Bang

That's my feeling as well. Shanahan isn't just making a point with Donavan. He appears to have made the determination that McNabb isn't what he thought he was. I've heard too many rumors to count on why that is so but it obviously wasn't working. As mediocre as Rex is, the offense just flowed much better when he was in there and someone who understands the offense will make an infinitely better mentor than someone who doesn't. So unless you think that it is highly important that your new QB learns how to say the right things in front of the camera McNabb isn't the right choice to mentor the next guy.

You do realize that McNabb had only one lost fumble for the year. Most of those fumbles occured at the line on bad snaps and he recovered his own ball. If I recall correctly, Rex's fumbles went to the other team .

kdawg is right. recovery of fumbles is a random thing. mcnabb doesnt get extra credit for being lucky any more than grossman gets a demerit for being unlucky

My thoughts exactly.

Thirded. If he has lost his deep ball (for TD's), he is not a good fit for our offense. He has had issues landing red zone TD's, so we needed him to hit AA in stride much than we did. As it was, AA had to make a few circus catches to keep our offensive yard stats respectable and keep McNabb's job safe. With his proclivity to make the tough catch, most QBs could have made those throws.

The best things Nabb had going for him were his strength in the pocket, lack of fumbilitis, and his professionalism. Not quite enough to win games. I cant believe I am bashing a guy that will lead to Rex F'in Grossman.

I dont know what's more confusing, the Skins QB situation, or the Skins fans offeseason fix, the perplexed Capitals.

McNabb came here with much fanfare and high hopes, however the results did not match the promise. In the end before the benching, McNabb was still very inconsistent and still not embracing the offensive system run by the Shanahans. If the breakdowns were the fault of the personnel, we would have seen a drop off in production when we switched to a lesser QB in Rex Grossman. But that was not the case, in many ways the offense ran more smooth with a rhythm we had not seen consistently before. For this season, my belief was that with a good offensive line and running game, McNabb's flaws could be minimized. If we keep him that may still be the case next year, but after seeing Rex, you realize that this offense has the potential to be so much more.

Mcnabb is not worth $16M for 2011.

This is a last place team in rebuilding mode, the last thing a team like that needs is a 34 year old qb with declining physical skills that demands the HC and OC change their scheme to suit what he feels comfortable running.

So, you change everything you are doing to suit an aging prima donna or go out and find a guy you can build with over the next 3-5 years?

Not a hard decision in my book.

McNabb now realizes he isn't going to earn $16M anywhere else in the NFL in 2011.

Too bad his agent had to shoot off his mouth as much as he did.

But in any case McNabb isn't the difference in the Redskins, efforts to rebuild and become a contender again in the NFC East.

He was a mistake from Day 1.

He belonged on a team like Minnesota or Arizona that was more competitive in 2009 and might have changed some of what they were doing to suit #5.

Do some of you watch the games? Best quarterback we've had in years? He put up worse numbers than Jason Campbell, who was essentially HATED on this forum. It really makes me wonder if some of you watch these games. McNabb, with the Redskins, is a failure of epic proportions. McNabb with the Eagles was a borderline hall of famer. There's a difference between the two.

How anyone can want this guy back is beyond me.

Great post.

I guess it's all reputation.

McNabb WAS good and people remember that. They can't grasp the fact that Rex Grossman -- a guy with a bad rep -- clearly outplayed him. The things just don't compute to some.

I've said it before and I've said it again. If Rex Grossman is our starter our next year, he will have a better year than Donny Mac wherever he is starting. If he is starting somewhere.

Archived