Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Over/Under on Sam and Sonny?

1972dodgedart

Jeff Bostic used to do a great job commentating preseason games. Doc would also be a great one. I still like Sonny and I think if he had a sharp partner, he would step it up a notch.

Yeah, I was going to bring up Jeff Bostic. Maybe Ken Harvey as well. I love the idea of Smoot on the sidelines, and as much as I liked Darrell Green, I just don't think he would be a good broadcaster.

I agree with most, as many memories many of us have and as much as we love Sam, it is time to hang up the mic. I still love hearing Sonny, but as has been pointed out, it is not really hard-hitting broadcasting. I honestly would still like Sonny to be on the air, but replacing Sam with someone younger. Maybe Harvey, maybe someone like Charles Mann.

• 1 year later...

Anybody hear anthing about our radio booth? I guess it is business as usual correct?

I have always felt that the insistence of keeping the group together is a direct reflection of how poorly managed this team is/was. It is a real shame. I also grew up turning off the TV and putting on Sonny/Sam/Frank, but jesus, enough is enough.

I almost feel lke keeping the group together, espcially Sam (god bless'em and I mean no disrespect) is an insult to my intelligence.

Snyder, to a fault, is being way too loyal.

I haven't been able to tolerate listening to the game on the radio for years now. It's an insult to my intelligence and these guys should have been forced into retirement long ago. Replace Sonny and Sam with Doc Walker already. It would be to nice actually have the color guys add something for once.

Add Mike Patrick permanently and all would be well. I assume he is still doing some of the Redskin preseason games? I loved when he did the ESPN Sunday Night games, great voice and I miss his "holy cow" and "are you kidding me?" catchphrases.

Sam was on Sirius NFL radio with Tim Ryan and Pat Kirwan a couple weeks ago. They asked Sam what position the Redskins need to improve the most and he said RB. This was before the trade for the 2nd pick and they were shocked by the answer. They tried to talk some sense into him but he wanted none of it. He just kept talking about how the Redskins should find another Riggo. He sounded insane.

I actually got to meet Sam at an autograph siging in New Jersey. He is like you all say losing it a bit. His handler was kinda getting PO'd at him. Constantly had to keep him on track wewith what he was doing etc... He is a very nice guy though. Shared a couple funny stories, told me that he thought the Skins should skip over Manning and draft a QB. Mentioned that the last time we did that was Joey T. He said no one really liked him though which made me laugh. Got love getting older!!!

Add Mike Patrick permanently and all would be well. I assume he is still doing some of the Redskin preseason games? I loved when he did the ESPN Sunday Night games, great voice and I miss his "holy cow" and "are you kidding me?" catchphrases.

Agreed, Sonny and Sam can stay until they decide its time to go but Larry is just aggravating. Like fingernails on a chalkboard aggravating.

Apple pie and ice cream. Turkey day and football. Peanut butter and Jelly. Batman and Robbin. Garfield and Odie. Unique things that just go together and scream America. And Sonny and Sam are RIGHT up there on that list when it comes to the the B&G.

If Sam goes, then Sonny goes. You can't have one without the other. Sam Huff may have gotten forgetful with age and have a big disconnect between his brain and his mouth (Ok, A LOT forgetful); but he's still yin to Sonny's yang. They play off each other, and one wouldn't work without the other. Their a Redskins institution as recognisable to many as any coach, player uniform in Redskins lore. For 34 season's they've lived every down with us as they've broadcast our mutual love into our homes.

If you want to make a complete break, and go with a completely new broadcasting team, then be my guest. But you can't have Sonny J and A N Other doing the analyst gig. It's not Sonny and Joe. Or Sonny and Mike. Sonny and Art. It's Sonny and SAM. You can't have one without the other.

And regardless of what anyone thinks about Sam Huff @ 77, I hope it stays that way until BOTH decide to hang it up together.

Hail.

I would love to hear Joe Beninati call a football game. I know it's not his sport of choice but he is a master at calling hockey games. I have no need for Sam Huff in the booth though.

Joe B is the man! Listening to him right now as I stream the hockey game with a terrible video stream, but its no biggie b/c the commentators are amazing.

If you want to make a complete break, and go with a completely new broadcasting team, then be my guest. But you can't have Sonny J and A N Other doing the analyst gig. It's not Sonny and Joe. Or Sonny and Mike. Sonny and Art. It's Sonny and SAM. You can't have one without the other.

And regardless of what anyone thinks about Sam Huff @ 77, I hope it stays that way until BOTH decide to hang it up together.

Hail.

Agreed. I had to listen to quite a few games on the radio last season and it was just tough to listen to their broadcast. Hopefully, Sunny knows what's up and calls it quits for the both of them. What the Redskins should do is offer them a spot on like a pregame or postgame wrap up tv show and then they can spend the games watching it and not having to do a show. Also, I assume Sam has children, If I'm his son I definitely get him to call it quits this year. Honestly, I'm surprised it didn't happen last year.

I say keep 'em until THEY decide to retire. They have been the most entertaining part of the games the last coupla years.

I say retire Sam and give Sonny the option to stay on if he'd like.

They are doing Sam no favors by allowing him on the radio. Nostalgia is powerful thing but there are very few listeners who don't feel sad for him at this point.

Archived