Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Over/Under on Sam and Sonny?

1972dodgedart

any thoughts on this now going into another season.

The only reason I bring this up ... listening to the recap show on 980 this a.m. I can't count how many flubs Sam had. That was just listening to recaps of a few plays. I can't imagine what the entire game is like. Well I can. I caught some pregame earlier this year, and It was again, very painful to hear Sam struggle.

In the Michaels call of the Cousins two point conversion ... Sam yells "TOUCHDOWN!!" when Cousins scored ... Larry had to two or three teams interupt his own call to say, "That was just a 2 pointer!" :ols: pretty funny.

I think Dan if being a stubborn **** for keeping Sam on. He is doing more harm to him than good because in the end people are going to remember his last years as opposed to his entire carreer in the booth.

any thoughts on this now going into another season.

The only reason I bring this up ... listening to the recap show on 980 this a.m. I can't count how many flubs Sam had. That was just listening to recaps of a few plays. I can't imagine what the entire game is like. Well I can. I caught some pregame earlier this year, and It was again, very painful to hear Sam struggle.

In the Michaels call of the Cousins two point conversion ... Sam yells "TOUCHDOWN!!" when Cousins scored ... Larry had to two or three teams interupt his own call to say, "That was just a 2 pointer!" :ols: pretty funny.

I think Dan if being a stubborn **** for keeping Sam on. He is doing more harm to him than good because in the end people are going to remember his last years as opposed to his entire carreer in the booth.

On RG3's long TD run vs the Vikings, Sam called him RJ.

On RG3's long TD run vs the Vikings, Sam called him RJ.

covering my mouth in my office (okay cube) as I read this ... holy ****.

don't get me wrong ... I love old people, they crack me up all the time. :pfft: It's just time for Sam ... I really do belive that keeping him on past his prime is almost cruel.

how doc walker does not have a bigger role with the skins org just makes me nuts. he should be in the booth with joey t.

he's the best ...flat out. perfect blend of homerism and realism.

i also like david aldridge, he's awesome ...

Doc is the best and should be with any broadcast team going forward but I really like him on the field, instead of the booth, where he is excellent at getting the current vibe of the team and can provide a more vivid picture to the radio audience as to what's going on on the field. His role in the broadcast has increased as Sam's has decreased and there is no reason that can't continue with him on the field.

I usually don't listen to the radio broadcasts of the games but I caught part of the Monday game against the Giants on the radio. If I remember correctly, Doc was in the booth for that game. How many games has he done?

He's been the sideline reporter all year but I believe he has a hot mike and constantly contributes throughout the broadcast. I think that is a very cool element. I haven't listened to a broadcast in years unless I am in the bathroom at the stadium or through highlights... but I have heard the replays on the play by play. I really like Doc Walker. I think Doc, BMitch, and Cooley would be hilarious. Crowded, but hilarious. But 980 would have to hire like four guys to handle the dump button.

---------- Post added January-11th-2013 at 12:05 PM ----------

I don't know if he has much say, but to be honest, if it is him... he is in a tough spot. No one wants to be the guy to let a HOF Linebacker/generational player in the NFL go. We all love Sam the player, but Sam the broadcaster has run it's course. Dan is a fan like the rest of us, this would be like him letting go of part of his childhood. I'm sure it's in the works, but that's easier said than done. And Dan knows Sam on a personal level, which makes this that much more difficult.

But to me, the moves that were made this season with Doc, and adding Cooley and maybe another (I like BMitch... but I also like him on Comcast for the post game), I think this was the last year.

Doc is the best
no joke man ... I love his "throw up on themselves" go to line, so damn funny. of course he couldn't say that during the broadcast.

I would love a Larry (unitl we find someone else), Doc and Sonny booth. Or Larry, Doc, and Dexter booth!

---------- Post added January-11th-2013 at 12:08 PM ----------

I wonder if the organization needs a push on this. I'm sure they see it just like most fans who feel just awful for Sam and his senility on air. I wouldn't want to start a petition or anything' date=' that seems sacrilegious, but maybe if some from ES wrote some nice respectful letters asking for a change for the better and asking what the organization was panning for the future there...IDK, just a thought, but I would love to keep seeing and hearing those two guys, just not every game all through the games.[/quote']

great idea ... the hard part is doing this gracefully.

but I agree, the org is so tone death ... similiar to how they just ignore the field. They needed to get prodded.

Both are a real head scratcher.

If Sam is pushed out and does not leave of his own accord, Snyder will be verbally abused for being insensitive and cruel. So people will ***** and moan either way, and blame Snyder. The sad thing is that if Sam goes, Sonny almost assuredly will leave also. They are best of friends and love each other dearly as brothers. Based on recent comments from before the season. Sam is convinced he can continue. He did not like being benched for some of the away games this year.

I listen to the radio broadcast at every home game. Despite the approx 30 second delay, I pick up information that I cannot get while in the stadium watching the game. Yes, Sam makes a lot of mistakes; and these days does not add much to the commentary. Doc has been an excellent addition. He brings an insider's knowledge and energy to the broadcast.

Years ago, the Sonny and Sam repartee was fun and informative. Not so much any more. I can tolerate Sam because I grew up listening to the two of them and remember both as players. He should have retired a few years ago. But I don't want to lose Sonny. Sonny is still a very good analyst and fun to listen to.

EDIT --Wow...didn't think that word would be censored...hear it all the time on network TV. :D

Anyone notice that Doc never uses the word Redskins? Instead he says burgundy and gold. Once I figured this out it make him kind of hard to listen to. I like the guy but I'm not in favor of giving him more air time if he refuses to say the teams name.

I think that is just his shtick. I'm pretty sure I have heard him use both "Redskins" and "Skins". The "Burgundy and Gold" is just his identity thing that he is known for.

I think that is just his shtick. I'm pretty sure I have heard him use both "Redskins" and "Skins". The "Burgundy and Gold" is just his identity thing that he is known for.

Nope. Doc never uses the name "Redskins". I believe he had a conversation with a Native American that changed his perspective on the name.

Nope. Doc never uses the name "Redskins". I believe he had a conversation with a Native American that changed his perspective on the name.

I listen to Doc and BMitch every day. He uses the word Skins a lot. I also follow him on Twitter and it is all over his Twitter posts. He does say "Burgundy and Gold" but he also refers to them as Skins and/or Redskins.

LCA is correct; you and More Complete are wrong. Go read his twitter timeline. "Redskins" is used for "Redskins Nation", "Hail to the Redskins", "Redskins Alumni Association", and referring to former players. He also is not shy of retweeting tweets that use the word "Redskins" And you will find the word on his facebook and website. So, I think you guys are wrong.

Yes, he does prefer to use "Skins", it seems. And "Burgundy and Gold" is a trademark phrase that he has adopted over the past couple years. But yes, he does use the word "Redskins". Not a lot; but he does use it.

LCA is correct; you and More Complete are wrong. Go read his twitter timeline. "Redskins" is used for "Redskins Nation", "Hail to the Redskins", "Redskins Alumni Association", and referring to former players. He also is not shy of retweeting tweets that use the word "Redskins" And you will find the word on his facebook and website. So, I think you guys are wrong.

Yes, he does prefer to use "Skins", it seems. And "Burgundy and Gold" is a trademark phrase that he has adopted over the past couple years. But yes, he does use the word "Redskins". Not a lot; but he does use it.

I would also think that being a employee of the Washington Redskins, he would not be allowed to boycot the word "Redskins," even if he had a personal problem with that. If you want to work for the team, you would certainly be required to use the word.

2 or 3 times a year on my podcast we'll pull some of the better Huffisms and play them.

This year Sam is more like an old man who enjoys going for a ride. His main commentary seems to be "this is a pretty good game".

I made this for the show after the Panthers loss. The clips used are all from that game.

Sam Huff- Good Game song

I love Doc.. this clip is GREAT color analysis. (and there's a flash of the old Sam, the way he used to be every play)

Doc Walker - Impose your will

~Bang

Archived