Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homer: 10 Redskins to build around

themurf

10. Kevin Barnes (When he gets an opportunity to get on the field his presence is felt; will start with Hall next year imo)

9. Chris Cooley

8. Anthony Armstrong (It's been a while since we had a guy not named Moss stretching the field consistently, he deserves to stay)

7. Ryan Torain (Has shown he can ball in this system; hopefully injuries don't continue to get in his way)

6. DeAngelo Hall

5. Brandon Banks (Flat-out Game-changer with major upside; great find by Shanahan)

4. London Fletcher (Yes he's old but so is Ray Lewis; he stays here until he stops playing like a monster which could be a while)

3. Trent Williams

2. Brian Orakpo

1. LaRon Landry

Fletcher is my favorite player, but at this stage of his career he isn't a guy you build around.

Rest of the list is tough to argue with sans maybe Carlos Rodgers. I find it hard to back this secondary which is allowing the most passing yards in the league and you have Hall, Rogers and Landry on the list. Something has to change with that group and Rodgers is the guy who never makes the critical pick or game changing play so he is off my list.

Been on the team for six years and people STILL can't spell his last name.

Rogers doesn't get the pick because Rogers doesn't get the pass thrown to him.

Trent Williams

Brian Orakpo

LaRon Landry

Brandon Banks

´Los Rogers

Chris Cooley

London Fletcher

Does are the no brainers, no need to explain.

Now the odd ones

Kevin Barnes - I still think he can be a great CB against big WR´s. I would pick him over Hall because he makes to many plays on the ball, Hall doesn´t use his head.

Lorenzo Alexander - Because he plays with more heart then a lot of other people and safes around 3 rooster spots.

´Tana Moss - He is getting old, catches the ball sometimes very strange (strange jump catch) and isn´t as fast as he used to be. But he is a Cowboy killer...when he plays against some Texas guys with a star on his helmet he gives something extra. That´s the sign of a real Redskins player.

Interesting list but it's too old. How about these 9, and everyone else is trade bait:

1. Torain

2. Trent Williams

3. Landry

4. Orakpo

5. Brandon Banks

6. Fred Davis

7. Deangelo Hall

8. Carlos Rogers

9. Grossman

EDIT: gotta add Armstrong, too. Forgot about him. London Fletcher may be our best player, but at his age, no one would "build around" him.

I agree completely. Like you said, add in Armstrong at #10. You can definitely still add around Fletcher - he and Ray Lewis will keep going for at least 2-3 more years. I love Cooley, always will, but honestly, as a franchise we would be best off trading him for the highest pick we can get out of him and going with Davis. I might seriously shed a tear if we did say goodbye to Cooley, it would not be a for a lack of anything he's done - he's been one of our brightest stars since the day he got here both on and off the field, but the fact is we have a lot of holes and we have a player behind him who is at least as good as he is.

A couple of players that deserve honorable mentions: Kevin Barnes and Perry Riley. Both are young and Barnes has definitely shown some potential at hitting. He can play safety or corner with physicality and I think he's a decent player. Riley has had some serious mistakes (Detroit) but as Shanny said, he made them full-go. And he showed something to me in the last game coming up big and making strong tackles on a big guy (Witten) on third down no less. I think he's got plenty of potential and I've heard a few people mention the possibility of us saying goodbye to Rocky and letting Riley step up into that inside position next year as he's a better fit anyway.

One final mention: Lorenzo Alexander. He's not necessarily a star, but he's got a worker's mentality (like Fletcher) and is humble and all about the team as can be witnessed by his outstanding special teams and earning a way into a starting role. He's the kind of player the Shanahans want because of their attitude and how that spreads to the other players.

10. Keiland Williams - Cause he is young, has shown flashes, is a receiving threat, durable. Torain is too injury prone, and Shanahan is very good at finding & replacing RB's.

9. Brandon Banks - Speed kills. See Devin Hester & B. Mitch.

8. Lorenzo Alexander - This was a toss-up with Anthony Armstrong and Kevin Barnes, However LA can do it all!

7. Jeremy Jarmon - Ok, I admit that he is my "Man-Crush" but the dude has been a beast in slight opportunities, and has amazing, yes amazing potential. Young, high ceiling.

6. Brian Orakpo - Should be #1. Most poorly utilized player on team. Get the mans hand in the dirt. With JJ I have my bookends for years to come.

5. DeAngelo Hall - Young. Playmaker. Gamechanger. Nuff said.

4. Carlos Rogers - Under-rated shut-down corner. No conicidence that Hall looks suspect when Carlos is out.

3. Fred Davis - A younger Cooley with as much or more upside. Has looked very good when given CC was injured.

2. Laron Landry - Cause he is obviously thriving in this system. Hope the injury is a blip, but i'll take the risk. Image LL with a true FS!

1. Trent Williams - Because OL delivers championships

Here we go again with lists, murf ;).

Good list, good read.

Mike Shanahan's list though?

10. Rex Grossman

9. Rex Grossman

8. Kory Lichtensteiger

7. Rex Grossman

6. John Beck

5. Rex Grossman

4. Rex Grossman

3. Casey Rabach

2. Kory Lichtensteiger

1. Rex Grossman

Yeah, I did it again lol :).

Zero chance John Beck is ahead of four Rex Grossmans on Shanny's list. You know better than that.

Great article and I would agree with all but I am not sold on Brown. Granted he switched positions, but too often gets beat and has way too many false starts for someone with his tenure.

I feel very strongly that Brown is back to 100 percent now and will be an asset moving forward. Look, the guy hasn't been healthy. He wasn't 100 percent when he got here and it's taken him some time to get back to that point.

Since the Detroit game he's looked to me like he's getting all back together again, and talking with him today confirmed he's healthy and happy once again. It would be a shame to rent him for one injury-riddled season and then watch him go elsewhere and play at a Pro Bowl level again. Keep him and Trent Williams and then work on solidifying the three interior positions on the offensive line.

10. Kevin Barnes (When he gets an opportunity to get on the field his presence is felt; will start with Hall next year imo)

I'm a big Kevin Barnes fan. I think the Dallas game - when he was thrown into safety even though he hadn't played the position since high school - was the first real sign that Barnes is ready for more playing time. Whether he's at safety or corner, the coaches have to find a way to get this kid on the field more.

I think I might be the only one who continues to lobby for Darryl Young at FB.

Just last week I wrote a piece naming five players who need more playing time. Young made the list. I'd love for him to come in and lock down the job.

Good list.

Im torn between Armstrong and Banks but every other entry is spot-on to me.

Armstrong has developed very nicely this season and makes some tough catches. I just can't get over how tiny Banks is. He looks like a little 13-year old kid out there running around. He is exciting on returns, but I think Armstrong's production in the offense is more to build around than a few dynamite returns every year so Id replace Brandon Banks with Anthony Armstrong.

ily Murf. Great thread, I completely agree. Even given our depth at TE with Davis, and Cooley's trade value I still want to see him in B&G for years to come.

---------- Post added December-23rd-2010 at 02:31 AM ----------

landry122210.jpg

Man his arms are jacked (no homo).

Should see his Traps, no homo.

I agree you wouldn't build a team around Fletcher at this point of his career for two reasons. Yes #1 being his age but more importantly, exactly when would the back up or 2nd stringer get some reps? The guy doesn't come off the field. Then there's the leadership aspect. I don't think you'll find anyone who's played w/ him that would question his sincerity or heart. I'm iffy on Los. While his cover skills are pretty good I think the only thing that comes to his bad hands is his tackling. Maybe it's because I'm always waiting to see LL Come in for the kill shot. Pls forgive me, I know he plays opposite of Prime Time's academy of tackling top graduate Hall.

I agree you wouldn't build a team around Fletcher at this point of his career for two reasons. Yes #1 being his age but more importantly, exactly when would the back up or 2nd stringer get some reps? The guy doesn't come off the field. Then there's the leadership aspect. I don't think you'll find anyone who's played w/ him that would question his sincerity or heart. I'm iffy on Los. While his cover skills are pretty good I think the only thing that comes to his bad hands is his tackling. Maybe it's because I'm always waiting to see LL Come in for the kill shot. Pls forgive me, I know he plays opposite of Prime Time's academy of tackling top graduate Hall.

Hall has 85 tackles. He's been tackling quite a few people...

We need to break this in to categories.

Young and Proven:

B. Orakpo

L. Landry

T. Williams

D. Hall

C. Rogers

Young and upcoming:

B. Banks

K. Williams

A. Armstrong

F. Davis

L. Alexander

Young and Potential:

J. Jarmon

K. Barnes

P. Riley

D. Young

A. Bryant

G. Gano

Old and Talented:

L. Fletcher

S. Moss

C. Cooley

D. McNabb

J. Brown

Old:

Daniels

Rabach

Portis

Roydell

Holliday

Injury Prone:

R, Torain

Kemo

Kelley

McIntosh

Replacable Parts:

Rest of team?....

Murf - I didn't see that article about Young until you noted it. You nailed it but forgot "doesn't have a problem securing the ball" :ols:

"Just last week I wrote a piece naming five players who need more playing time. Young made the list. I'd love for him to come in and lock down the job."

Darrel Young – Young is not a 270 lb. fullback who tries to hurdle defenders. He’s also not a 35-year-old who can’t catch a swing pass to save his life. For those reasons alone, I’d crown his ass today if it were up to me.

1. Torain

-He could be a top 5 RB if he can stay healthy, the question is, how do you teach a guy to be durable?

2. Orakpo

-Pound for Pound the bright spot of our Defense. This man is just a freak of nature athlete, and hes very young, should be here for many years.

3. Trent Williams

-The new "Chris Samuels". If we are going to improve this offense, it starts with him and the other Olinemen.

4. Laron Landry

-This year we have really been able to see what this guy can do when he plays closer to the line. Him and Orakpo are great keystone pieces for a building of our defense.

5. Deangelo Hall

-The one thing people forget about him, is that hes still quite young. He has a lot of years left and can compliment Orakpo and Landry well.

6. Jamaal Brown

-Again with the Oline, another 1st rounder that we traded for that needs to play a little better, but has a huge upside potential.

7. Fred Davis

-Hes such a great catching TE, but his blocking needs work, if we can get him trained to do both, he could be almost as good as Gates.

8. Brandon Banks

-Did you watch Devin Hester on Monday Night against the Vikings? Meet his clone. Nough' said.

9. Anthony Armstrong

-Hes been really inspiring this year. If hes this good this year, imagine what he will be like once we smooth out his rough edges.

10. Keiland Williams

-Torain gets hurt a lot but thats not why I put Keiland here. I put him here because hes a spectacular receiver out of the backfield. He reminds me a lot of Larry Centers how he can catch and run out of the back.

I love Cooley and Moss, but this is a list that is meant to be built on, not with. Their getting old and wouldnt be a bad idea to trade em'.

The reason Brown and Torain don't make m,y list is their injury proneness.

Do you really want to build around guys who have a track-record of less than 100% due to injuries?

That is what makes Landry, (even though i really like him) is a risk to "build around".

Moot point cause we probably won't be dropping Torain or Brown, but they are way down on the list of build around guys, unless you are raising a hospital. /jk

Murf,

Why didn't Jarmon make your list of guys who need more playing time?

I'm just not convinced he's a great fit for this 3-4 defense. I like the guy and enjoy talking with someone that young with such a mature perspective, but can't say with any certainty that he's going to be here in two years.

Archived