Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homer: 10 Redskins to build around

themurf

landry122210.jpg

(photo by Brian Murphy)

Flying back from Dallas after the Washington Redskins lost 33-30 to the Cowboys to drop to 5-9 on the season, I had an interesting conversation with a friend. With plenty of time to kill, we came up with a fun little game – pick 10 players from the current roster to build the team around. Just 10. That’s all you get.

The only stipulation was that you had to operate under the assumption that Mike Shanahan will still be the head coach, Kyle Shanahan will still be the offensive coordinator and Jim Haslett will still run the 3-4 defense as the defensive coordinator. That left open the possibility of choosing a lesser player simply because he was better suited to run the offense/defense the Redskins are working towards (Rex Grossman, anyone?)

What you’ll see with my list is that getting younger and more athletic was a priority. In fact, only one players over the age of 30 made the cut, while five of the players listed below are 26 or younger.

(Just missed the cut: Santana Moss, receiver; Lorenzo Alexander, linebacker; Anthony Armstrong, receiver)

10. London Fletcher, middle linebacker – The one graybeard to crack the list is here simply because he’s a heart and soul kind of guy. Sure, he’s 35-year-old and better suited to run a 4-3 defense, but he’s also a gladiator who happily gives his team everything he has week in and week out as evident by his current 206 consecutive games played streak. Fletcher is so intensely fired up before kickoff that the 13-year veteran still pukes on the sideline every single Sunday. Hell, his own wife can’t imagine him not playing football.

“If you listen to my wife, she said I’d have to be in the hospital, strapped down to the bed,” Fletcher said when asked what it would take for him to miss a game. “Not just in the hospital, but actually strapped to the bed.”

If you’re rebuilding your roster from the ground up, isn’t that exactly the kind of role model you want them to follow? So if I’m making one exception on this list, it’s got to go to Fletcher. After all he’s done for the Washington Redskins, I have no problem showing him the respect he deserves.

9. DeAngelo Hall, cornerback – With seven seasons under his belt, it’s hard to believe Hall is just 27 — especially when you factor in all of the ups and downs he had earlier in his career during his time in Atlanta and Oakland. But Hall, at his best, is a game changer (just ask Jay Cutler). He’s a cornerback who is capable of tilting the field in Washington’s favor and has the type of big-play potential the Redskins have lacked since Sean Taylor.

Consider this: in the last three seasons the Redskins have scored just two defensive touchdowns. Both came courtesy of Hall. Taking it one step further: Hall has one less touchdown than Clinton Portis over the last two seasons. Even though he’s a guy who lays an egg once or twice a season, Hall is still someone with eight turnovers to his credit this season.

8. Ryan Torain, running back – Torain is a 24-year-old who absolutely looks like a legitimate NFL feature back whenever he’s given the ball. But he’s also a guy who history shows has trouble staying healthy for more than two or three games in a row. His upright and physical running style leaves him vulnerable to injuries, but he’s also the one guy in the Redskins rotation these days who can burst out a 40-yard run seemingly out of nowhere.

When Shanahan drafted Torain in 2008, he immediately compared him to another Denver running back — Terrell Davis. And that guy had a pretty solid career. This season Torain is rushing for 4.9 yard a carry, which is something Portis hasn’t done since ‘03. That’s reason enough to roll the dice with the Arizona State product and hope like hell he’s able to finally shake of the reoccurring injuries and finally make it through a 16-game schedule.

7. Chris Cooley, tight end – This might be surprising considering my professed love for all thing Fred Davis, but the truth is that Cooley is the face of the franchise. In addition to being a two-time Pro Bowler, he’s also the people’s champ and the team’s best blocking tight end. With four receptions, Cooley will tie receiver Ricky Sanders for fifth on the Redskins’ all-time reception list at 414, and with 11 more catches, the 28-year-old will tie tight end Jerry Smith for fourth place with 421 catches.

That would leave Cooley in the company of such legends as Art Monk, Charley Taylor and Gary Clark, which is more than enough reason to keep Cooley in burgundy and gold as long as conceivably possible.

6. Jammal Brown, right tackle – I fully admit that Brown’s career in Washington got off to a rocky start. The 29-year-old came to town via a trade with New Orleans and was clearly less than 100 percent at the beginning of the 2010 season. But what’s stood out to me as the season has gone along is that slowly but surely Brown is returning back to his Pro Bowl level of play. Brown has been dealing with an injury to his left hip since before the 2009 season, which is only compounded by Washington’s desire to move him to right tackle.

“When I was at left tackle I was pressing off with my right hip, so I was able to play the whole year with a torn labrum,” Brown said. “But when I got here they moved me to right tackle and I’m putting all that weight on my left hip. That’s what was making me hurt a little bit more … But everything’s good now.”

Since the Detroit game, Brown has looked more and more like the player the Redskins hoped they were getting when they made the trade with the Saints. His lateral movement and quickness seem to be back and Brown really seems to be getting his confidence back. It would be a shame for the Redskins to let him walk out the door right as he’s shaping back into form.

Click here to read the rest of the list.

Nice work Murf, and sound reasoning. I am having a hard time not including Armstrong in that conversation. And, I am not sure I wouldn't rather build around Fred Davis than Cooley. I love Cooley, however, Davis is younger and performed quite admirably in Cooley's absence last year.

Here we go again with lists, murf ;).

Good list, good read.

Mike Shanahan's list though?

10. Rex Grossman

9. Rex Grossman

8. Kory Lichtensteiger

7. Rex Grossman

6. John Beck

5. Rex Grossman

4. Rex Grossman

3. Casey Rabach

2. Kory Lichtensteiger

1. Rex Grossman

Yeah, I did it again lol :).

Good stuff overall. I totally disagree with the Rogers mention. He has been a competent NFL corner, but he's nearing age 30 and doesn't have the ability to make impact plays.

Cover corners are great. But when a cover corner loses a step due to age, they aren't very useful at all. It's rare to find a Bailey or Woodson, a DB that stays relevant into their 30s. One of the reasons these two were able to do that is because of their balls skills.

I think Rogers is replaceable with a mid-round draft pick, like Verner on Tennessee.

Interesting list but it's too old. How about these 9, and everyone else is trade bait:

1. Torain

2. Trent Williams

3. Landry

4. Orakpo

5. Brandon Banks

6. Fred Davis

7. Deangelo Hall

8. Carlos Rogers

9. Grossman

EDIT: gotta add Armstrong, too. Forgot about him. London Fletcher may be our best player, but at his age, no one would "build around" him.

IMO, this is your best article yet Murf and I have to agree 100 percent about your player choices.

I've heard people around here talk about how London is too old and how we need to find his replacement, but watch him play every week, the man is a straight up beast and he plays every single play to the whistle. As long as he keeps playing at this kind of level, he needs to remain a Redskin.

Also, I just wanted to throw in that Jammal Brown is really playing good football. I know he was giving up a lot of plays early in the season but he's really been playing well through the last few games. If we can solidify the interior OL, we'll have a great line for years to come.

Williams

Landry

Brown

Hall

0rakpo

Armstrong

Davis

Alexander

I can't honestly make it to 10.

London is my favorite piece of antique tackling equipment in the league, but at 35, he can't enter into a "build around" conversation.

Torrain is great too, but until he shows he can play a full season just once, I can't include him.

Banks has shown flashes, but he needs to learn how to turn just a little. Straight line speed, doesn't usually equate to success in the NFL.

Rogers I like a lot, but at almost 30, it's the same as London.

I saw a couple comments here and on the actual article about replacing 'Los with AA...I would actually keep 'Los and replace Deangelo with AA. While I know that wouldn't be popular, and I know Hall makes the big plays, I think he still hurts more than he helps by always jumping the route and too often getting beat taking a gamble. Just my opinion, but great write up as always murf!!!

I'm not sure if I'm on board with much of this list....but I've been trying to think of my own list of 10 and I really can't. I think that's the problem. In my opinion, we don't have 10 players to build around. The only indispensable guys on the team are Orakpo, Landry, and Trent Williams. Fletcher and Moss are too old. Carlos I'd like to hang onto but he's not really someone critical enough to build around. We really are a mess of a team right now.

Williams

Landry

Brown

Hall

0rakpo

Armstrong

Davis

Alexander

I can't honestly make it to 10.

London is my favorite piece of antique tackling equipment in the league, but at 35, he can't enter into a "build around" conversation.

Torrain is great too, but until he shows he can play a full season just once, I can't include him.

Banks has shown flashes, but he needs to learn how to turn just a little. Straight line speed, doesn't usually equate to success in the NFL.

Rogers I like a lot, but at almost 30, it's the same as London.

Agreed London is too old to "build around" even if he still has a couple of solid years left.

i would slim it down even more:

Williams

Landry

Brown

Hall

0rakpo

Armstrong

cooley

Great article and I would agree with all but I am not sold on Brown. Granted he switched positions, but too often gets beat and has way too many false starts for someone with his tenure. If we plan to keep him (which I think we will) I would put him on IR if he is not 100% and rest the hip. If he could return to his New Orleans form he could certainly help. I love Torain, but I agree with another poster that there is no way he can make an 18 game season. When healthy he is a beast. Los is another that I am not sure wants to be here next year as he wants to get paid...IMO he did not perform well enough to get paid what he wants. Banks is a game changer, but over the last three games, teams have shut him down and he will need to adjust. I would love to see him running some more pass routes, ala Devin Hester. One name that I really want to stay is Anthony Armstrong, he has played well. He is so fast he usually outruns the long passes from the QB, but has made nice adjustments to catch those balls.

Hail

Five offense:

1) Trent Williams

2) Jamal Brown

3) Ryan Torrain

4) Fred Davis- trade Cooley instead. You said build a team and Cooley is getting up there.

5) Brandon Banks

5 Defense:

1) Brian Orakpo even though I'd like to see more consistent pressure

2) Laron Landry

3) DHALL reluctantly. He is still young and is a play-maker but he has to be more disciplined.

4) Adam Carriker

5) Lorenzo Alexander- not as OLB but as a utility player.

Five offense:

1) Trent Williams

2) Jamal Brown

3) Ryan Torrain

4) Fred Davis- trade Cooley instead. You said build a team and Cooley is getting up there.

5) Brandon Banks

5 Defense:

1) Brian Orakpo even though I'd like to see more consistent pressure

2) Laron Landry

3) DHALL reluctantly. He is still young and is a play-maker but he has to be more disciplined.

4) Adam Carriker

5) Lorenzo Alexander- not as OLB but as a utility player.

I like your list ... I have been wondering though about Lorenzo, could he be an effective DE in the 3-4? He can easily gain ten more lbs (but not even sure if that is necessary?) and bulk up if needed. He has a nose for the ball and is very athletic for a guy his size, high-endless motor and has great pass rushing ability.

Just been wondering about that for awhile now. Since he was a DT in the 4-3 at one point, could he make the switch to DE in the 3-4, like everyone envisioned Haynesworth would do? HAIL.

I like your list ... I have been wondering though about Lorenzo, could he be an effective DE in the 3-4? He can easily gain ten more lbs (but not even sure if that is necessary?) and bulk up if needed. He has a nose for the ball and is very athletic for a guy his size, high-endless motor and has great pass rushing ability.

Just been wondering about that for awhile now. Since he was a DT in the 4-3 at one point, could he make the switch to DE in the 3-4, like everyone envisioned Haynesworth would do? HAIL.

He has played TE, RG, DT, DE, 0LB pretty well, why not. :ols:

The 0ne Man Gang is one of my favorites.

Easily my favorite article of yours, Murf.

I am disappointed by those who are down on Rogers and just baffled by those who are down on Orakpo. While I wouldn't put Hall in the same dimension as Taylor, and I think that he sucks as a corner, I can't deny his play-making ability. I don't mind when he gambles and loses at this point.

And I'd like to take this opportunity to again gloat that I was right about Landry and almost everyone else was wrong. :)

Fletcher is my favorite player, but at this stage of his career he isn't a guy you build around.

Rest of the list is tough to argue with sans maybe Carlos Rodgers. I find it hard to back this secondary which is allowing the most passing yards in the league and you have Hall, Rogers and Landry on the list. Something has to change with that group and Rodgers is the guy who never makes the critical pick or game changing play so he is off my list.

I'm not sure if I'm on board with much of this list....but I've been trying to think of my own list of 10 and I really can't. I think that's the problem. In my opinion, we don't have 10 players to build around. The only indispensable guys on the team are Orakpo, Landry, and Trent Williams. Fletcher and Moss are too old. Carlos I'd like to hang onto but he's not really someone critical enough to build around. We really are a mess of a team right now.

It is a tough job, I agree.

Personally, I don't know how you have a list with Fletcher and Cooley and leave off Moss. I'd replace Banks with him, because as exciting as he is, you don't "build around" a KR. He's going to need to show more in the offense before I can say something like that.

---------- Post added December-22nd-2010 at 04:25 PM ----------

Fletcher is my favorite player, but at this stage of his career he isn't a guy you build around.

Well, I can see it because he's a leader and the anchor of the squad.

Archived