Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HuffPost: Stem Cell Transplant Cures HIV In 'Berlin Patient'

AsburySkinsFan

I know that there is at least one conspiracy theorist on the board that believes that AIDS is a hoax. But at least to the rest of the thinking and rational world this is good news.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/12/14/hiv-cure-berlin-patient_n_796521.html

On the heels of World AIDS Day comes a stunning medical breakthrough: Doctors believe an HIV-positive man who underwent a stem cell transplant has been cured as a result of the procedure.

Timothy Ray Brown, also known as the "Berlin Patient," received the transplant in 2007 as part of a lengthy treatment course for leukemia. His doctors recently published a report in the journal Blood affirming that the results of extensive testing "strongly suggest that cure of HIV infection has been achieved."

Brown's case paves a path for constructing a permanent cure for HIV through genetically-engineered stem cells.

Last week, Time named another AIDS-related discovery to its list of the Top 10 Medical Breakthroughs of 2010. Recent studies show that healthy individuals who take antiretrovirals, medicine commonly prescribed for treating HIV, can reduce their risk of contracting the disease by up to 73 percent.

While these developments by no means prove a cure for the virus has been found, they can certainly provide hope for the more than 33 million people living with HIV worldwide. Alongside such findings, global efforts to combat the epidemic have accelerated as of late, with new initiatives emerging in the Philippines and South Africa this week.

If this is true, it is phenomenal news. In an age where pharmaceutical companies make living with a disease a priority over curing it (because multiple prescriptions are more profitable than a 1 time deal), it's good to see a major disease is possibly cured.

If only we could get more people to preach safe sex and supply poorer countries with condoms, instead of allowing various church missions to condemn birth control in those regions, then the AIDS problem would reduce as well.

Plus, if this study is true, then that's yet another reason to advocate stem cell research, instead of banning it.

If this is true, it is phenomenal news. In an age where pharmaceutical companies make living with a disease a priority over curing it (because multiple prescriptions are more profitable than a 1 time deal), it's good to see a major disease is possibly cured.

If only we could get more people to preach safe sex and supply poorer countries with condoms, instead of allowing various church missions to condemn birth control in those regions, then the AIDS problem would reduce as well.

Plus, if this study is true, then that's yet another reason to advocate stem cell research, instead of banning it.

They're just setting them up to get something else:

"However, CCR5 apparently plays a role in mediating resistance to West Nile virus infection in humans, as CCR5-Δ32 individuals have shown to be disproportionately at higher risk of West Nile virus in studies,[9] indicating that not all of the functions of CCR5 may be compensated by other receptors."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CCR5#CCR5-.CE.9432

---------- Post added December-14th-2010 at 05:24 PM ----------

I mean this is awesome....just a little confused on how a stem cell transplant cured the patient's HIV...quite interesting

In order to infect you, the HIV virus must get into the t-cells. To actually get into the t-cells, they have to interact with a protein that is on the outside of the t-cell (as a general anology, they have to be able to handle the door knob/lock). They have given this person cells that make t-cells, but the protein the HIV use to get into the t-cells has been changed (they changed the lock).

The change isn't drastic and is actually found pretty commonly in people in northern Europe. It is believed that small pox uses the same door/lock so this mutation might have arisen as an immunity to small pox through evolution.

This is great news, but also makes me annoyed with our previous administration. I want US leading the way on these innovations. I want us to have the patents and discoveries that are so important and significant. The de-funding and backwards thinking has made us spectators when we should be leaders.

This is great news, but also makes me annoyed with our previous administration. I want US leading the way on these innovations. I want us to have the patents and discoveries that are so important and significant. The de-funding and backwards thinking has made us spectators when we should be leaders.

This!

My boss was telling me earlier how much better our funding has gotten ever since Obama has taken over. It would be a real shame if Obama loses his presidency and the person who replaces him doesn't follow up on his initiatives to provide better funding to scientific research.

Who banned it?....couldn't have been the president that expanded funding greatly for stem cell research

Anyone know what the cell source was?

I agree with this post 100%. Leaders.

We fall behind on so many stupid things that we should be the firsts for. It started with the lazy car companies and spread to so many other areas.

Funny ...the cell source and methodology used were not banned by the previous administration.

bunch of

sheep.jpg

:ols:

Lol, I missed Ken claiming AIDS is a hoax. Geez...

Anyway, this is amazing news. Thank God we finally opened up stem cell research here.

Yeah, I kn0w at least a d0zen pe0ple with AIDS 0r HIV, 2 0f them being friends fathers. H0ax my ass.

---------- Post added December-14th-2010 at 06:46 PM ----------

how do you get the stem cells? dead babies?

Magic J0hns0ns sperm samples

Yeah, I kn0w at least a d0zen pe0ple with AIDS 0r HIV, 2 0f them being friends fathers. H0ax my ass.

---------- Post added December-14th-2010 at 06:46 PM ----------

Magic J0hns0ns sperm samples

missing the "o" on your keyboard?

Yes, he hates Obama, so in a fit of rage, he stripped the "O" key out of all the keyboards in his house ;)

Funny ...the cell source and methodology used were not banned by the previous administration.

This is what I know.

Everyone I spoke with at NIH and the National Science Foundation were always complaining about the budgets being slashed and how the models of productive were completely shifted from a quality model to a quantity model. Good science wasn't important. Pushing papers and looking productive was. More, I know and interviewed quite a few in the health field who stayed away from stem cells because the stigma attached to them meant that they feared they would lose their funding... more, even private funding often stayed away from stem based projects because many of the foundations and big corporate givers did not want to endanger their contracts by being associated with something that was viewed unfavorably.

twa,

You are looking at this from a shallow and ill formed pov. Stem cell research became a very dirty word in this country and a rallying battle cry... Look within this thread, BLTO is still shouting the "dead baby" mantra. It scared a tremendous number of scientists away because no one wanted to be associated with stem cells... it scared off a helluva lot of money and focus... at all levels.

In terms of funding research and science (not just Stem Cells, but across the board) the Bush Administration was quite destructive.

Load of horse**** Bur...funding for both adult and embryonic research has never been higher,if anything the controversy has expanded funding

Do you blame BLTO for making the same assumption many others here have in this thread?

The cells came from a adult (bone marrow donor),the same source every successful stem cell therapy has come from

added

Where's your outrage at holding back science???

http://www.fiercebiotech.com/story/gerons-pioneering-esc-trial-put-hold-again/2009-08-19

The cells came from a adult (bone marrow donor),the same source every successful stem cell therapy has come from

:secret: because the funding has always been heavily biased in that direction. We don't know what might have been accomplished with embryonic stem cells because so little work has been done with them to date.

Archived