Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Have we found our offensive line?!

skins4ever17

yeah, thats what i posted in the game thread.

either we found our combination, or the titans d line is very over rated...

The Titans D line is very small. That's why we ran through them quite a lot today. I don't know if they're overrated. I haven't heard any hype about them.

To answer the original poster: NO!

Pass protection was much better.

They were better today. I actually think Montgomery is the better center. But I still think that today's piecework line will NOT carry us to too many victories, especially against better teams like the G'aints!

Today's success was more (IMHO) a result of mismatch. We had to substitute much larger linemen into nontraditional assignments against a smallish defensive line. I don't know that that will translate to similar success against future D lines.

But if the injuries of today wind up being more serious, we may have no choice but to find out. We're not exactly thick at O linemen.

I still dont know why we dont see linemen stats with the other players stats.

I have long suspected Rabach was a weak link. He used to do our blitz pickup calls, for yearrs. And it always sucked. But I never knew if his calls were right, or what. All you can find are penalties and sacks. I think he is a big reason we havent and largely dont go hurry up/shotgun; his snaps. Again, no data to confirm my suspection.

We all know he struggles with big NT/DT's. Now it seems like all of them. And he stepped on DM5's foot again to open the game today. Last week he did it two in a row IIRC. That tells me he is getting blown up. And that just sucks any momentum, scripted first play practiced a ton a waste of time, just makes it hard on the team from the start. I think Montgomery is a little bigger. Like Dock at Guard, getting heavier is an old skins trick to winning games. Hicks has been horrible yet Heyer there was solid.

We won DM5 passed 50 times; the backups looked great.

I'd say today may have opened some eyes for the coaching staff in terms of who should and should not see the field as a starter. And to everyone saying "No!" and other things about how terrible the line is still, I seriously doubt the original post meant we have found our permanent line for many seasons to come. Have we found our new line for THIS season? Maybe. We at least saw some players out perform the original starters. I would definitely be interested to see some changes based on todays game as a trial run.

For all those saying we played a weak/small/crappy DL today, here are the Titans pass rush rankings compared to the rest of the league:

Sacks: 3rd

Yards lost due to sacks: 5th

INTs: 3rd

We didn't play a crappy DL, they're no names to us but that doesn't mean they're bad, we actually played a top 5 pass rush today, and our OL did much better.

No, this is madness. Our line is terrrible, while they may have done well TODAY, do you really think long term they are a real option? doubtful. we need youth, we need new guys, heyer never should wear burgundy and gold again

So are you saying we should just put in all the older players that played even worse for the first 8 games of the season and move Heyer back to OT? Why? The OL isn't great, but they were better without Hicks and Rabach than with them, so why not try something different. We know what we have with the other group, at least with today's version they had A successful game against a great pass rushing team.

We have been rotating our RT all year. Why not some of the other OL positions? Today, injuries forced it. I was thrilled we dressed Dockery. He only gave up like 1.5 sacks last year! Who cares if he cant zone block well. Go pass happy when rotating him, use him in the 2 minute offense. Jamal seemed fine given extra game time.

But our OL has escaped scrutiny somewhat because of our very pourous defense. I think they have sucked most of the year. Williams has been tossed into the fire against a parade of studs week after week and has far exceeded my expectations. Our ends are our anchors and best OL. We finally had a positive change within the interior. Its huge. Tiger Huge.

Trent Lict Monty Heyer Brown.

For the Heyer HATERS, he was part of the MIX.

The worst player on the Skins team right now is Clinton Portis. He takes up a spot on the active roster and the sad part is that he is not football ready!

You live in Cali. huh? I gonna guess you voted YES to Proposition 19. Your comments make that quite evident... (cough, cough) pass that shiet!

I hate to burst everyone's bubble but it's far too soon to get excited about the play of any of our offensive linemen not named Trent. The group we had in there today played pretty well but it shouldn't be all that surprising if you've been paying attention to matchups over the course of the season. Our line has consistently struggled against bigger, stronger defensive linemen and, as such, have played extremely poorly against 3-4 teams and the likes of Ndamukong Suh. The Titans just so happen to field one of the league's lightest defensive lines and we were able to push them around accordingly throughout the game.

This isn't a particular weakness of the ZBS itself, which has proven itself more than capable of handling some of the greatest monstrosities to ever grace a defensive line (I'm looking at you, Reggie White), it's mostly a matter of talent. If this lineup (and Montgomery in particular at center) is really that much of an improvement, we're only really going to know for sure if they're allowed to take a stab at a more formidable group of big men. Our next opponent would be a pretty damn good test if ever there was one.

I read a post earlier in the week that Shanahan used smaller, more versatile for zone blocking scheme at a mile high altitude and this type of player worked well there. Well, Shanahan, we are much closer to sea level here in DC and we need bigger OLine players to compete within the NFC East and the rest of the league. Please get with the program.

So glad that Rabach was replaced, the OLine worked better. It is still a work in progress, but much better than the porous OLine of last Monday.

I read a post earlier in the week that Shanahan used smaller, more versatile for zone blocking scheme at a mile high altitude and this type of player worked well there. Well, Shanahan, we are much closer to sea level here in DC and we need bigger OLine players to compete within the NFC East and the rest of the league. Please get with the program.

I heard that "Shanahan ran the ZBS so well because of the altitude" theory at some point over the last week as well. Let me just say that you shouldn't believe everything you read or hear. Shanahan's scheme worked just as well at sea level as it did at Mile High Stadium.

So glad that Rabach was replaced, the OLine worked better. It is still a work in progress, but much better than the porous OLine of last Monday.

Agree about Rabach, but the ZBS works everywhere. Houston runs it fairly effectively, and it's not like Mike only won while he was at Mile High. You don't need to weigh 350 lbs to compete on the line in the NFC East, you need to be strong and be able to hold your own one on one. Fortunately, with the ZBS, being able to go one on one only makes the scheme better, because the ZBS is all about blocking areas and giving yourself the best opportunity to win a block, and it lets holes develop naturally as opposed to trying to force a hole open.

Hell no, this isn't our combination. Titans d-line is not their strength, and if you really want to understand why I still feel we need an upgrade up and down, wait until the viking d-line comes to town then we go to new york to face the g-men front seven. Even if we can hold our own, we need more to get over the top and talk about winning championships. We played pissed off today, but all the talent in the world can't cover the still existing talent gap between us and the other teams in our division. It's still not even close...

Hell no, this isn't our combination. Titans d-line is not their strength, and if you really want to understand why I still feel we need an upgrade up and down, wait until the viking d-line comes to town then we go to new york to face the g-men front seven. Even if we can hold our own, we need more to get over the top and talk about winning championships. We played pissed off today, but all the talent in the world can't cover the still existing talent gap between us and the other teams in our division. It's still not even close...

Hmmm... I haven't watched a lot of Titans games, but they were tied for 3rd in the league in sacks and ranked #11 against the run. They are ranked #25 against the pass. Seems like their D line is a strength for their D.

Hmmm... I haven't watched a lot of Titans games, but they were tied for 3rd in the league in sacks and ranked #11 against the run. They are ranked #25 against the pass. Seems like their D line is a strength for their D.

I remember hearing that their line has been a pleasant surprise since we picked up Haynesworth.

Archived