Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

i have White Boys disease, help. :)

GoSkins561

G.A.C.O.L.B.When I was 18 I could dunk at 6' even
I too am 6'5 and suffer from the white guy disease....
Dude take it from a white guy that COULD jump through the roof (and I'm only 6-2ish),
I'm 36, 6'5", 220 lbs and I would consider myself to be in good to excellent shape. I have been playing Center in the same basketball league of 16 teams for 5 years now.

:

Seriously though, **** all you tall people, just **** y'all! :mad:

I thought this thread was different also and I was glad it was about basketball.

This is ol' school. I used to jump to the highest point I could on the backboard many times a day. Eventually, it got higher and higher until I was able to dunk. Don't get me wrong no acrobatics or anything, but a nice solid dunk. I was in 9th grade and only 5-8 back then.

I could probably still grab the rim these days but I would have to actually make an effort to get the beer belly up there. haha.

Dude, seriously, I'm 5'9", white, and I can almost dunk. All about practice. Squats, plyometrics, calf raises, box jumping (you can also use a long piece of lumber), actually practice jumping, put weights on your ankles. Many things to try, all work great. It doesn't matter how old you are, we got guys who are 45 who can still throw it down.

It's not all about height. As you can see in this thread, a 6-5 guys can't dunk and 5-9 guys can. Some people's bodies (white and black so don't go there) are made for jumping. Alot of it is the abs and legs. I'm 5-9 and can barely touch the net (even when I was in my 20s). My problem stems from having short legs.

When I was 15, I had to have heart surgery to repair a blockage in my Aorta. The Aorta supplies most of the blood flow to the lower extremities. I don't have alot of hair on my legs and if you look at my body, my upper torso is long. My cardiologist said I lost 2 inches of height from the years of improper blood flow.

But anyway, these excercises will work for some, but not all.

This is one of my friend's claim to fame. He is 6'5 and played against Kevin Garnett in high school in South Carolina. On one play, he stole the ball from KG, went to the other end of the floor and layed it in. On the way back up the floor, KG said "you are way too tall to not dunk that."

Dude take it from a white guy that COULD jump through the roof (and I'm only 6-2ish), there's nothing you can do, at your age, to help with your hops. But if you've never had hops, at that size, then that's pretty sad. lol

I don't agree with the age thing. I had up's, I think I still have ups. I can throw down a soccer ball, just not a basketball. I can lay a basketball over the rim, I just can't dunk(throw it down). Some people might consider this a dunk, I don't,, which is why I only need to get about 6 more inches of ups, I would like to get a foot. I'm not going to let the age of 36 hold me back from something I believe can be accomplished.

I have checked out the plyometrics, it seems like the way to go and I am looking forward to dunking the ball sometime in the near future.

For the shorter guys that can dunk, are you throwing it down with one hand, two, standing or do you need a running start?

This is one of my friend's claim to fame. He is 6'5 and played against Kevin Garnett in high school in South Carolina. On one play, he stole the ball from KG, went to the other end of the floor and layed it in. On the way back up the floor, KG said "you are way too tall to not dunk that."

That just says that Garnett is a sore loser, that's all. :silly:

I hope the guy had a good comeback, like "You are way too good to have a no-name like me steal the ball from a future NBAer" ;)

:ols: No!!!!

I want to dunk the ball, and prove the myth wrong.

My goal is to post a pic in this thread, throwing it down by the end of basketball season(4 months from now).

I like the ankle weight and plyometrics idea, but I would like to hear more ideas from other people that have focused on improving their vertical leap abilities.

If you're 6' 5" and cant dunk your simply just weak. :ols: All kidding aside, it probably has to do with your weight too. Back in high school I was dunking and I'm white, 6' 2" but I only weighed around 170-175lbs and I only focused on working out my legs.

I used to play ball in ankle weights, stand on cinder blocks with my toes on the block and the rest of my feet hanging off and do hundreds of toe raises to work the calves. I'd also hit the one weight machine that had you put weight on your shoulders and you would stand on the bar with your toes and do the same raises I did with cinder blocks, but you were doing it with 100 lbs on your shoulders.

Leg presses, leg curls, etc. Jump rope.

Not to bust your bubble though, I read an article about dunking and age (thought it was called the art of dunking in a sports illustrated, but can't find it). It was talking about how small the % of the average male population can actually dunk a basketball. It also brought into account how rapidly your potential ability to ever able be to dunk rapidly declines after age 32 or 36 (something like that). Chances are, you wont be able to ever dunk a ball. I'm with ya bro, I'm now 215lbs at age 35 and there is no chance in hell I'll ever dunk again, but oh well.

Im not trying to come across as an ass and I hope you find your way above the rim, but gaining another 12 inches to your vertical is going to be hard. I found this article, which is about what I was doing in a nutshell and most ancient way, but working the same muscles. http://www.wikihow.com/Dunk

^^ Tried telling you guys it was mostly the age thing. Hell, look at Jordan on the Wizards. He was in his late 30s if I'm not mistaken. He couldn't jump for ****.

As for me. When I was younger I had crazy hops for a white guy. Could pretty much out jump any white dude in my county, among guys that were around 6'0". I can still get up now, but not nearly as well. The older you get, you're gonna lose some hops. Its natural.

Anyway, all you guys talking about weights and all these exercises to make you jump. I NEVER lifted weights in hs...or really ever. It just came natural.

I'm 36, 6'5", 220 lbs and I would consider myself to be in good to excellent shape. I have been playing Center in the same basketball league of 16 teams for 5 years now.

I can run the floor, rebound, block shots and score on occasion. I'm kind of like an amateur version of Dennis Rodman. My problem is, I can't really jump. I can stand underneath the rim, jump and grab the rim, but I can't dunk. With a jog, I can lay the ball over the rim, but I can't throw it down.

So here is my question, experts of ES, what kind of exercise can I do to help improve my ability to jump higher? If I could jump another 6 inches to a foot higher I feel like I could throw it down with authority.

Help me cure my white boys disease. :ols:

plyo and honestly that only helps if you are younger, its not gonna help you do much more than maintain what hops you have now. I was 6-5 and weighed 300 pounds when i played college basketball and I could dunk standing still with two hands but had trouble dunking on the one with one. Its genetic.

plyo and honestly that only helps if you are younger, its not gonna help you do much more than maintain what hops you have now. I was 6-5 and weighed 300 pounds when i played college basketball and I could dunk standing still with two hands but had trouble dunking on the one with one. Its genetic.

I look at it this way. In the past year I have trimmed 4 minutes off my 5k time(28 minutes to 24 minutes), therefore I should be able to jump 6 inches to a foot higher, considering I have never focused on improving my vertical ability.

I look at it this way. In the past year I have trimmed 4 minutes off my 5k time(28 minutes to 24 minutes), therefore I should be able to jump 6 inches to a foot higher, considering I have never focused on improving my vertical ability.

the difference is that its an explosive movement, not endurance or pure strength based. as you get older, you dont gain explosiveness you lose it. I still can grab the rim still but im also 30 pounds heavier than when i played college ball and im not as explosive and dont jump as quickly.

btw its also lot of core strength, as well as legs so you will have to work both. im not saying you cant, but its just not likely, its why as you age you need to make sure you have an all around game. so givver but dont be too let down if you dont see huge results.

the difference is that its an explosive movement, not endurance or pure strength based. as you get older, you dont gain explosiveness you lose it. I still can grab the rim still but im also 30 pounds heavier than when i played college ball and im not as explosive and dont jump as quickly.

btw its also lot of core strength, as well as legs so you will have to work both. im not saying you cant, but its just not likely, its why as you age you need to make sure you have an all around game. so givver but dont be too let down if you dont see huge results.

I can still get the rim, with ball in hand, I can roll the ball over the rim. I hate saying this, regardless on the end result(because I plan on throwing it down), you're right I shouldn't be disappointed because there is only room for improvement.

Archived