Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

i have White Boys disease, help. :)

GoSkins561

I'm 36, 6'5", 220 lbs and I would consider myself to be in good to excellent shape. I have been playing Center in the same basketball league of 16 teams for 5 years now.

I can run the floor, rebound, block shots and score on occasion. I'm kind of like an amateur version of Dennis Rodman. My problem is, I can't really jump. I can stand underneath the rim, jump and grab the rim, but I can't dunk. With a jog, I can lay the ball over the rim, but I can't throw it down.

So here is my question, experts of ES, what kind of exercise can I do to help improve my ability to jump higher? If I could jump another 6 inches to a foot higher I feel like I could throw it down with authority.

Help me cure my white boys disease. :ols:

Just give up now.

Stupid YouTube embedding isn't working.

[/img]

:ols: No!!!!

I want to dunk the ball, and prove the myth wrong.

My goal is to post a pic in this thread, throwing it down by the end of basketball season(4 months from now).

I like the ankle weight and plyometrics idea, but I would like to hear more ideas from other people that have focused on improving their vertical leap abilities.

just buy these. outlawed in the NBA but not in your local rec!

http://www.espnstar.com/us-sports/nba/news/detail/item517772/NBA-bans-super-jumping-shoes/

Flubber.

I actually like the black pair with the green soles. If you play ball, have you ever seen someone wearing these things? I swear if I see someone wearing these, I'm stepping on their toes every chance I get. :)

Wow, that's funny. If I had your height I could touch the top of the backboard.

I could dunk when I was in 8th grade. Don't buy those dumb shoes is all about explosion.

Trust Me....Do these exercise for a couple of months. Rest between days and do them 3 times a week

Squats

Box Jumps...look it up

Do those two exercise until you can't feel your legs

Then every day go right under the rim and do 10 jumps only, trying to touch the rim.

2 months....you'll dunk

I'm 5'10" half white/half hispanic if I did it in the 8th grade you'll do it.

God I wish I was 6'5". When I was 18 I could dunk at 6' even. I would've been a beast at 6'5".

But yeah, just practicing helps. I used to do half court, 3/4 court and full court sprints, taking as few strides as possible and laying the ball in. And I would stand under the basket, go straight up and lay it in. Go from one side of the rim to the other. All that over and over again for hours. Then I dunked.

They sell weighted shoes too that are supposed to build up your legs and increase your vertical. I never had a pair but I knew a couple of people that did that swore they worked. Back in the day, in the back of Slam Magazine, there were all sorts of ads for stuff like that and other things to help you build up your vertical. Not sure if they still have but I imagine they do. Cop a copy and check it out.

Yeah plyometrics is the answer, I did it for a weight training class back in high school. I couldn't dunk though, not because I couldn't reach the rim, but because my hands are small lol, and I can barely palm the ball. I'm about 5'9ish. Just do as must research as possible and get to work.

I too am 6'5 and suffer from the white guy disease....I can only grab the rim...Id be able to dunk but I cant get the ball over the rim.

There was an exercise I learned in a plyometric class that helped increase my vertical - you take a step and with each step, you rise to the ball of your feet with your heel never touching the ground...just walk around your house doing that over and over

I'm 36, 6'5", 220 lbs and I would consider myself to be in good to excellent shape. I have been playing Center in the same basketball league of 16 teams for 5 years now.

I can run the floor, rebound, block shots and score on occasion. I'm kind of like an amateur version of Dennis Rodman. My problem is, I can't really jump. I can stand underneath the rim, jump and grab the rim, but I can't dunk. With a jog, I can lay the ball over the rim, but I can't throw it down.

So here is my question, experts of ES, what kind of exercise can I do to help improve my ability to jump higher? If I could jump another 6 inches to a foot higher I feel like I could throw it down with authority.

Help me cure my white boys disease. :ols:

Dude take it from a white guy that COULD jump through the roof (and I'm only 6-2ish), there's nothing you can do, at your age, to help with your hops. But if you've never had hops, at that size, then that's pretty sad. lol

Archived