Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Shanny Jr's Play Calling

Chase M

Can Carlos Rogers catch a cold?  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Can Carlos Rogers catch a cold?

Anyone think that without Cooley, Shanny Jr. had to alter his play calling a little bit? I know CC47 doesn't get a lot of props but he has been a great blocker this year and I don't think Davis excels at blocking as much as Cooley. We lost to a Super Bowl Contender, if any of you guys would have told me we would've hung around with the Colts at the beginning of the season I would have laughed. HTTR

Colts had been getting pressure all game. You'll notice that we didn't really call anything deep all game? We had 60 yards to go, with four clock stoppages. With the Colts playing deep coverage, you take the underneath stuff. Younger Shanny is using what he has to the best of his ability. If the Colts don't sack McNabb on 2nd and 5, we're in a great position. And as the replay shows, it wasn't Shanny that decided to go deep, it was McNabb when he had a wide open Davis who could have gotten the first down.

I'll add to this, I think it was a bad decision to abandon the run on the 2nd to last drive. 2+ min and 4 clock stoppages down a field goal. Plenty of time. We had been killing them on the ground all night. Pass after pass after pass with the Colts D is not playing to our strengths. I especially thought a run would have been a good call on the 3rd and 10. Shorten up the distance to make the 4th down a little easier.

But I will say this. Some people today are reminding me of Dallass fans circa week 1. Yeah, we made some mistakes. But we wouldn't have even been in this game if it weren't for their mistakes (particularly the 2 missed field goals). We lost to a better team and that's it. We didn't give this game away, they took it. We didn't beat ourselves, they beat us. Gotta do better next time.

sure running wide is dumb in hindsight but Torrain did have some luck going wide as well.

But Shan Junior is handcuffed by our lack of a viable go to WR. The short slant to Moss? Really? He got destroyed.

I think his play calling is influenced at times by dad, even if Dad keeps his mouth shut. He is under pressure.

im not even going to read any posts here im just going to finish your sentence

F**KING sucked D!*K tonight.

Mcnabb's strong suits are the intermediate to deap routes and we play check down football.

as a fan since 1969, i think to relieve some stress for all of us, we need to step back and look at this team and realize that hey, they really aint all that good, we have pitiful dbs, the d line is horrible, the best linebacker is what 40 yrs old? the o line is in tatters, with maybe 1 (and he is a rookie) really good player,,we have no running backs worth anywhere near what they are getting paid..and no wide outs.. im not one to just "settle" but im not gonna give myself a heartattack wondering why they cant win either..lets just give mike 2 or 3 more years to build his team and go from there

The protection was worse. Trent looked bad tonight, but everyone else on the line looked worse. This was a poor performance by the line and our offense never got going because of it. They're the single biggest reason we lost.

I didnt think so at all. Especially for a rookie, going against arguably the best 4-3 DE in the game. He did a good job on Freeney's rip to the outside, and on his spin move to the inside.

I don't blame KS's playcalling too much. A big problem with this team, that I can't help but notice almost every week, is how none of our receivers make a play on the all. Look how Garcon made that one-handed catch. Manning puts his guys in the position to make plays, and trusts them to make them. Unfortunately, besides Santana (sometimes) and the Armstrong jump ball last week, our recievers NEVER get the ball. Unless its a perfect pass, the Wrs get exactly whats given to them. It's not the playcalling, somebody just needs to step up.

Sometimes,the other team comes to play too. Makes a good play in to a bad play. Sometimes,the coach is trying to figure out what works and what doesn't against a team as they play the game. This based on the personnel available at the time,(and their limitations). This is a learn by doing process with this team and that included the coaches. I won't lie and say I wasn't frustrated a few times last night,but thought about what I just stated and the fact that Kyle just may have seen a few things on the field that led him to believe he could call the plays he did,(leaving out the whole execution by the players and the decision(s),by the running back and quarterback a few times).

That's been my issue with Kyle's playcalling. He'll go from making some amazing calls and to making some absolutely bonehead decisions. Like Ryp said, that toss on 3rd down was a bad idea and some of those runs were horrible calls. Hopefully it's something that will get ironed out as the season goes on.

Shanny Jr is lacking a big tall wideout to throw a jump ball to. Indeed we dont have a WR that make a play on the ball. That big WR with big huge hands that can handle the endzone fade. Armstrong is the best we have in that regard. As it is, he barely gets his number called.

The protection was worse. Trent looked bad tonight, but everyone else on the line looked worse. This was a poor performance by the line and our offense never got going because of it. They're the single biggest reason we lost.

If his name wasn't Trent Williams he would be getting killed by the entire forum.

Kyle is to blame for the L folks not the D.

Really? Blame?

Kyle didn't lose the game at all but here's what i would have liked to have seen:

I wish we would have started the game off getting McNabb into a rhythm with some easy completions.

WR screen, flare passes in the flats to FB/TEs/WRs etc.

More movement passes sprint/dash outs, bootlegs etc.

It seemed like we only used the bootlegs concepts in the RZ.

I feel like we didn't take enough chances downfield

I would have liked to see more down field Cover 2 beaters thrown to Armstrong or Tana attacking Fransico.

Kyle Shanahan does well with what he has to work with. That 3rd and one call was terrible, but overall, he's done well with the playcalling. He's dialing up plays that are just plain missed. As an OC, that's all you can do is put them in a position to succeed, it's up to the execution of the players.

I am with Duckus. Shanahan Jr is doing his best, we have an average Oline, a QB who is learning the system, WR corps who are prob among the worst in the league etc.

This team will get better on offense, I am more worried about the defensive coaching. Sure Jr didn't have his best game but Haslett clear crapped the nest with that gameplan.

I disagree I think defense did pretty good except for the dropped balls, but they kept skins in the game for the whole game and gave them a chance to win in the end that last series was just not good play calling. I think Haslett did pretty good not being able to rotate players. We just played the best qb in the league last night. I still don't think we have an identity on offense yet.

Overall I think the play calling was pretty good. The only thing I really have a beef with is that 3rd & 1. The 4th & 10, wasn't the play call...Fred Davis was there, McNabb just didn't throw to him.

Agreed. I think Donovan had made up his mind to throw that one deep as soon as the play was called and didn't look anywhere else as a result.

Overall I think the play calling was pretty good. The only thing I really have a beef with is that 3rd & 1. The 4th & 10, wasn't the play call...Fred Davis was there, McNabb just didn't throw to him.

Hey that is what happens when you keep dropping balls. I think that is why FD is not getting on the field as much not consistant.

As many have said, I know the 3rd & 1 pitch call made you scratch your head, but I can see why he called it. I would imagine with 20-20 hindsight even Kyle would love to have that one back. Overall though, the playcalling wasn't bad, Kyle is doing a helluva job getting this offense going without a lot of weapons to work with. The sky isn't falling, and this loss certainly isn't all Kyle's fault as the OP states...

Archived