Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Shanny Jr's Play Calling

Chase M

Can Carlos Rogers catch a cold?  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Can Carlos Rogers catch a cold?

As many have said, I know the 3rd & 1 pitch call made you scratch your head, but I can see why he called it. I would imagine with 20-20 hindsight even Kyle would love to have that one back. Overall though, the playcalling wasn't bad, Kyle is doing a helluva job getting this offense going without a lot of weapons to work with. The sky isn't falling, and this loss certainly isn't all Kyle's fault as the OP states...

Agreed. There is plenty of blame to go around...Would AH playing have helped the D? What if Moore makes that interception? What if Carlos makes the interception (wishful thinking)? What if McNabb throws to Fred Davis on 4th & 10? Bottom line, it was an up and down game for the team, and Peyton being Peyton, you can't have many mistakes without him exposing them.

I really think that Moore non-interception was a game changer...A few plays after that, Peyton threw a TD. If Moore makes the play, we get the ball back with big time momentum. The 3rd & 1 call was horrible, but Shanny Jr. is not the sole reason for the loss.

That's been my issue with Kyle's playcalling. He'll go from making some amazing calls and to making some absolutely bonehead decisions. Like Ryp said, that toss on 3rd down was a bad idea and some of those runs were horrible calls. Hopefully it's something that will get ironed out as the season goes on.

Well, he's 30. I think we need to live through his growing pains and hope that he grows into a great OC. We are willing to be patient with the front office and some of the young players, why not our coaching staff. He's adjusting to his talent just as they are adjusting to him.

We're moving in the right direction. It's tough to not get caught up in a close game while it's happening...but we're in year 1 of this new regime and we are a team built in the mold of about 3 different coaching staffs (Gibbs, Zorn, and Shanahan). We need time to gel.

I really think Torain needs to follow his blockers ......he seemed really slow bouncing it to the outside...just fought through tackles well, but he doesn't have the speed to bounce outside as much as he did.....

Yeah they mentioned that a few times last night. Sometimes the play call is good,but the players do a nice job of making it look bad. BTW,and off topic,to me the worst play calling last night was done by the Peyton and the Colts on that drive near the two minute mark at the end. 3 straight passes?

Yeah they mentioned that a few times last night. Sometimes the play call is good,but the players do a nice job of making it look bad. BTW,and off topic,to me the worst play calling last night was done by the Peyton and the Colts on that drive near the two minute mark at the end. 3 straight passes?

Typical Colts style live by the pass die by the pass PCS. I didn't agree with it and I turned to the Colt fan next to me and said "you all just saved us 3 timeouts by doing that, now watch us tie this game up". I was right about half of the statement the other half didn't go so well :(

Typical Colts style live by the pass die by the pass PCS. I didn't agree with it and I turned to the Colt fan next to me and said "you all just saved us 3 timeouts by doing that, now watch us tie this game up". I was right about half of the statement the other half didn't go so well :(

I mean understand go with what got you there,and the Redskins had been having a tough time with a few of those pass plays. But at that juncture of the game,I think it would have been better for the Cots to just to run that ball. Sigh. If only......... :(

I mean understand go with what got you there,and the Redskins had been having a tough time with a few of those pass plays. But at that juncture of the game,I think it would have been better for the Cots to just to run that ball. Sigh. If only......... :(

Oh no doubt I was looking at the Colts fan and asking him why they were throwing and he just shrugged and looked at me. I was astonished to be honest I don't understand why you dont at least run once or twice and burn a time out or two from us. Just a confusing series but then again I'm not a HC or OC

I think Kyle Shanahan has been really good so far overall. I totally disagreed with his strategy late in the game though. We should have run the ball down their throats on that 3 and out. And I think we should have been faster on our touchdown drive. But you shouldn't discredit how much more dangerous the offense looks right now, just because of a few bad calls.

Given the ease with which they had been passing the ball against our defense i understand it.

If you exclude those 3 passes they were completing 70% of their passes.

We were in a regular front and the Colts shouldn't expect to be able to run against it 3 times and gain a 1st down.

Their only success running came against our amoeba DL.

So instead of running three times w. their 3rd string RB and punting they tried to get a 1st downs and win the game.

They played to their strength the passing game and were trying to win the game outright.

Thankfully,finally Haslett woke up and called for press man coverage across the board and we made 3 great plays in a row.

It was aggresive no doubt, but its what i expected.

I was just pleasantly surprised that we stopped it.

I think Kyle Shanahan has been really good so far overall. I totally disagreed with his strategy late in the game though. We should have run the ball down their throats on that 3 and out. And I think we should have been faster on our touchdown drive. But you shouldn't discredit how much more dangerous the offense looks right now, just because of a few bad calls.

Amen. The 3rd and 1 toss was a bad call (Torain lacks the quickness), but Kyle called a good game imo. I loved the designed run plays (I've never seen a team get to the edge so many times against the colts), and that 3rd down play where he faked the pitch to Banks and Mcnabb had a short throw to Cooley was brilliant. So all in all, good play calling. The skins offense is not a top tier offense, and he's making due with what he has. That's the reality.

Conspiracy Theory: KS is calling all those pass plays to pad stats for Donovan. I mean that could be the only explaination. Torain was awesome last night (20, 100 yds and 2 TDs). Why not give him the ball? We were never out of the game, and Torain should've been given a chance to put the game away. KS is not putting his best players on the field in critical positions to make plays. Playmakers make plays and Torain was hot last night. I do rest this loss on KS and MS. The D played well considering the QB they were playing against.

:helmet:

...as he proved in the past with the texans, he is a good coordinator in until it gets to gut wrenching time...am i the only one whos not surprised that the texans now had two great comeback wins this year after kyle has left them

we got the ball back with 3 timeouts and a two minute warning with decent field position and instead of trying to get a first down, we were looking for the big play, there was plenty of time to relax and at least get a fg out of it

Outside of the 3rd and 1 play, nothing else really stood out to me as a bad call.

Common sense should have told anyone not to try a toss play on the Colts. This is especially true for a RB like Torain. So you try a toss play against a fast defense with a RB, who is not very fast, in a short area on 3rd and 1. The chances of that working are VERY slim.

I also wonder why Williams doesn't get more carries? Don't get me wrong, I love the way Ryan Torain is running the ball and he should be the starter. I just think Williams should have more than 3 carries at this point.

Outside of the 3rd and 1 play, nothing else really stood out to me as a bad call.

Common sense should have told anyone not to try a toss play on the Colts. This is especially true for a RB like Torain. So you try a toss play against a fast defense with a RB, who is not very fast, in a short area on 3rd and 1. The chances of that working are VERY slim.

I also wonder why Williams doesn't get more carries? Don't get me wrong, I love the way Ryan Torain is running the ball and he should be the starter. I just think Williams should have more than 3 carries at this point.

I thought 20 wasn't enough for Torain either.

We had been running outside stretch the entire game it was basically our only effective run play.

Torrain had been turning the corner running downhill. (Why do people seem to forget this?)

We had no success running up the middle.

And a toss is actually a quicker developing version of the stretch.

But, i hear you on Keiland i hope dude gets more carries as the season progresses.

We were in the PERFECT position to tie or win the game. A lil over 2 mins and 4 downs to work with. He calls short 5 yard screen, short pass, short pass then on 4th down decides to go long?

Kyle is to blame for the L folks not the D.

Agreed. Kyle seems to be all hype, and no substance. The offense has been woefully inconsistent. The lack of TD conversion when in the RedZone is disappointing.

Or we could look at things a little less simplistically and realize that no one person, play, etc. is solely responsible for the loss. A bunch of things every week go into the outcome of the game. You want to "blame" Kyle for the loss...what about his play-calling on two 80+ yard TD drives? Without those, we're not even in the game.

I can't understand how simple-minded some posts seem.

The pitch to Torain on 3rd and 1 was a horrendous call.

I don't agree with calling Jr's play calling the reason. I will say that in this above situation I was pissed, but overall I was very happy with the play calling. Every time these is a lose people just go overboard by leaps and bounds. I've seen threads bashes every Redskin from Shanny, Shanny Jr, Ganu, Cooley, Rogers, NT, LG, RG, FS, DC, hell dam near the whole team has at least one thread asking for their heads. Come on guys I'm just as diehard as you are but I'm not asking for anybody's head tonight. In every game there will always be some questionable calls but that's to be expected.

There was one play that Torain tried to bounce a run to the outside when he had obvious run in the middle. He got cut down and lost a year on a play we could have been 3rd and 1 inside the 5 instead we missed out and settled for a FG. Now in this situation play calling wasn't the problem it was execution. I'm not blaming the loss or Torain because I brought this up play up nor an I blaming the lost on rookie LT holding penalties or Rogers stone hands or our FS two drop picks. Look at the end of the day a loss is a loss and it's on the team not one group or one person.

We had been running outside stretch the entire game it was basically our only effective run play.

Torrain had been turning the corner running downhill. (Why do people seem to forget this?)

We had no success running up the middle.

And a toss is actually a quicker developing version of the stretch.

But, i hear you on Keiland i hope dude gets more carries as the season progresses.

You don't run toss plays on 3 & 1. Do you agree that certain situations call for certain types of plays? On third and short, the defense is already thinking run. When you toss the ball like that, the defense can immediately rule out pass. Ryan Torain isn't a fast back. The Colts' defense is built on speed. You put all of that together and you have a disaster. There are certain types of runs you do on first and second down that you can't get away with on third and short.

You don't run toss plays on 3 & 1

Since when?

Do you agree that certain situations call for certain types of plays?

To a certain extent, yes.

On third and short, the defense is already thinking run. When you toss the ball like that, the defense can immediately rule out pass.

And???? And actually a defense can't rule out a pass until the QB actually tosses the ball it could always be a fake toss.

Ryan Torain isn't a fast back. The Colts' defense is built on speed. You put all of that together and you have a disaster.

Again you're ignoring the fact that Torrain had been running outside on the Colts all game.

There are certain types of runs you do on first and second down that you can't get away with on third and short.

Why would a toss be one of them?

What is the magical play call that makes a toss play such a bad call?

I think I explained my problem with the call pretty well (3rd and short, Fast defense, RB not fast). You keep bringing up how Torain ran outside all game. He wasn’t running the ball to the outside on 3 rd and short all game.

You agree that certain situations call for certain types of plays, but you can’t figure out why you don’t run wide by tossing the ball back to a RB (who isn’t very fast but the defense is) on 3rd and 1. It’s about as silly as lining up in the shotgun and handing it to a RB on 3rd and 1.

I’m going to leave it at that. If you don’t agree with me, that’s fine.

We were in the PERFECT position to tie or win the game. A lil over 2 mins and 4 downs to work with. He calls short 5 yard screen, short pass, short pass then on 4th down decides to go long?

I couldn't disagree more. The 3rd and 1 toss was all on him and no one was left more clueless about that playcall than me. That being said, he's damn good. He's still learning and gameplanning with a far inferior team (offensively) compared to Houston. The talent on that offense could probably make anyone look good. Plays are not always designed for one route. Shanahan didn't call for a bomb, that was one route and McNabb consistently throws that pass while missing wide open guys underneath like Davis who would have had a first down on that play. McNabb typically keeps his eyes downfield, but I'll take it over anything we've had in a long time.

Shanahan has been a pretty good playcaller for us imo, and you can see that in plays like the fake toss to Banks when we NEEDED a first down near the goalline. Everyone on that defense was fooled and I was pissed to see Banks motion to the backfield because I "knew" we were tossing it to him. Take the good with the bad. We do not have Andre Johnson or Arian Foster or the Texans offensive line. I would argue Schaub may even be a better quarterback after watching them play us and his fearless play against our pass rush. I like him and he's definitely earned his stripes and isn't there because of his last name. Think about what he's working with before you call him out too much.

Archived