Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Shanny Jr's Play Calling

Chase M

Can Carlos Rogers catch a cold?  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Can Carlos Rogers catch a cold?

I don't think we lost because of playcalling. It's tough to call deep pass plays when your QB is getting little to no protection and it looked like the Colts were taking the deep stuff away. We just don't have the receivers who can get open consistently vs. the Cover 2 or the pass pro to even let deeper routes develop.

The 3rd and 1 toss was silly though. If we ran it with a speed back it'd make sense but with Torain? Why?

Kyle is young. And, unfortunately, today's game wasn't his best.

Crazy as this may sound, the Skins / WE should have won the game. We had 3 legit turnovers. And, unfortunately, due to 3 missed interceptions -- Carlos "butter fingers" Rogers missed 2 interceptions, and Kareem Moore missed 1 ... we allowed the Colts to continue drives and score!

Why isn't Kevin Barnes playing!

I am of the opinion that you always run the ball on 2nd and 3 or less, thereby giving you two chances to get those 3 yards. Saw that too often.

Also, what the hell was that toss on 3rd and 1 late in the game after the Addai fumble? Like, here let's start five yards behind the line of scrimmage. QB sneak, dive...that's what you call there. Ugh so mad at that call.

I'm okay with throwing it on 3rd and ~3. In todays' NFL that's basically a passing down. Some of you guys are a bit selective in your playcall bashing. The fake toss to Banks in goal line was nice, and the playcall to get K. Williams wide open on the TD that cut it to 3 was nifty as well.

Oh yeah, 3rd and 3 throw is fine. It's just that 2nd down call that is so critical. Eh, I'm just nitpicking I guess. Still...first downs are key and I feel two running plays can get you those three yards most of the time.

I was also waiting for playaction to happen more often. Those runs to the right were wating to get blown up in the backfield, Torain was just able to shake the first tackle like several times, or else it would have been a loss. Those runs take a long time to develop and they start like 4 yards back.

I'd say the two most glaring question marks for me is first and foremost the HB Sweep on 3rd & 1....and then, getting away from the run for a stretch of the game.

Nothing wrong with Shanahan's offense itself, but some of the plays being called when they are, can be puzzling. The way McNabb is being pressured and hit, if we have our run game working, we need to lean on it and use it more to keep the heat off McNabb.

We got away with the run on our last drive...and ended up scoring a TD. What is there to complain about there? Running it simply would have killed more time.

We took deep shots. There was nothing there. The Colts were playing deep cover two and we just don't have enough receivers that can get open on that, on top of the fact that our OL can't pass protect very well.

I don't think playcalling was anywhere near as bad as people say it is. Lack of execution at critical moments and failure to capitalize on more mistakes were why we lost. That and Peyton Manning is...well Peyton Manning.

I am not talking about our final TD drive, by that time our offense had to hurry up and I don't think anyone is complaining about not running the ball on that drive.

I am talking about earlier in the game. It seems like anytime this team makes a big play on offense, the running game suddenly feels to "boring" for Kyle or something and suddenly we have to start getting fancy on 1st down. Kyle has a little bit of Jason Garrett in him!

I am not talking about our final TD drive, by that time our offense had to hurry up and I don't think anyone is complaining about not running the ball on that drive.

I am talking about earlier in the game. It seems like anytime this team makes a big play on offense, the running game suddenly feels to "boring" for Kyle or something and suddenly we have to start getting fancy on 1st down. Kyle has a little bit of Jason Garrett in him!

Big Shanny needs to calm him down and show him the way.

I believe MC decide to go deep in 4th.

If Kyle calls on 3rd and 1 an outside run, with all the power Torain shows tonight, I dont believe he got the guts to even a call a 5yd pass on 4th and 10 or go home.

So, we go home LOL.

That 3rd and 1 toss play was the worst play call of the entire game. Man, that was just horrendous. There were some nice calls mixed in (the fake toss to Banks and throw to Cooley near the goal line), but for the most part that was a poorly called game.

The nail on the coffin in this game was poor time management by the coaching staff in the 4th quarter. The Offense got the ball back with 8:41 left in the game and proceeded to march gingerly down the field like a sunday stroll in the park and managed to score the TD at the 2:56 mark (6 minute drive). Other than that the 3rd and 1 call (sweep to short side of the field) was outright dumb, dropped INT's by Mr. Unreliable (#22) and #41 and the inability to capitalize on the turnovers contributed in the loss.

The nail on the coffin in this game was poor time management by the coaching staff in the 4th quarter. The Offense got the ball back with 8:41 left in the game and proceeded to march gingerly down the field like a sunday stroll in the park and managed to score the TD at the 2:56 mark (6 minute drive). Other than that the 3rd and 1 call (sweep to short side of the field) was outright dumb, dropped INT's by Mr. Unreliable (#22) and #41 and the inability to capitalize on the turnovers contributed in the loss.

Not really much we can do with the Colts playing that Tampa 2. They keep everything in front of them and force you to take the long way to the end zone.It actually worked out perfectly because it gave the offense another possession to score, but ran down enough time so that Manning would only have a few seconds left to have a game winning drive if we would've scored. The decision to go back under center is what nailed the coffin shut. We were in shotgun on the TD drive and it showed dividends.

3rd & 1. Torain has been BEASTING all night.

Shanny Jr. calls a sweep to the outside.

REALLY????

I am not busting on Shan Jr. because I think this offense is getting better and better every, week, and I think he learns from his mistakes, but the worst part about that sweep play was the pitch. From where Torrain got the ball he had like 9 yards to run to get the first down. It was a very deep pitch.

3rd and 1 with a toss to the left was too zonry-like. Too crucial a point in the game and pissed me off big time.

But to make you feel better...remember when BANKS lined up next to mcnabb and he did a sweet fake toss(like really sold it) and threw a near TD to Cooley? Those are the plays you should focus on. I'm lovin the offense and defense. It's fun to watch, we're puttin on a show every week, and we're capable of beating ANYBODY. This is a team that just needs a shot at playoffs yaknow? Just one chance, cause we can compete with ANYBODY. I wish we played the ****ing Steelers next week, seriously.

The fourth down play looked like Shanny Jr gave up. You don't chuck it deep when you can still get the first, with a minute fifty left on the clock and you are almost in FG range. We don't have the type of rreceive that can just go up and bring it down like Andre Johnson. it isn't like we have been Super successful on that play all season long, why did he think it would just click at that point? Its the beginning of me questioning the play calling.

I'm not one to blame any one player or unit, but the D left turnovers on the field. It looked too easy for Manning to pick us apart with his dinks and dunks and we generated zero pressure outside of Orakpo's sack fumble. With that said we still had a good chance at winning the game with those mistakes made, imagine if we didn't make those mistakes, right? Thats a game you wish you had back.

coaches need to have a serious ball catching clinic this week in practice

Archived