Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I'm Back--A Public Service Announcement

rtandler

A little off topic here but it would mean a lot to me if as many of you as possible would read about what happened to me and perhaps consider my advice. Trust me, you don't want to go through what I've been through this week!

http://realredskins.com/2010/10/im-back/

As some of you know, just as I was beginning to pump some life back into Real Redskins, I had a little setback. I spend some of last week in the hospital having some work done after having a heart attack last Tuesday morning. I’m back at home, doing much better, and as long as I do what the doctor says I should have no problems in the long term.

Thanks to those of you who have extended well wishes; although I have not been able to acknowledge them individually, please know that they are much appreciated.

Public Service Announcement

Also, I’d like to take this opportunity to urge those of you who are perhaps getting up there in age–and even if you’re not but if you’re not in the best of shape–to take the time and, yes, spend a few dollars to get yourself checked out. Although I am overweight, a situation I am now dedicated to fixing, I felt great before Tuesday morning. I had plenty of energy and I never–I mean never–got sick or had any health issues. I wasn’t going to run an Iron Man Triathlon or anything but I was fit enough to do whatever I needed to do.

Little did I know that I was living with two coronary arteries that were in the process of becoming blocked. One became completely blocked last Tuesday morning, forcing a trip to the hospital in an ambulance. The other was 90 percent blocked. I had a stent, a small cylinder that opens the blockage and keeps the blood flowing, put into each of them.

Had I gotten my heart checked out as I should have, I probably would have had the stents implanted but it would not have been done in an emergency situation that scared the hell out of me, my wife, and the rest of my family. It may have been an outpatient procedure or maybe on night in the hospital.

So think about it, guys and gals. Feel free to email me with any questions or concerns.

/Public Service Announcement

I’m back in a limited capacity. I will be watching tonight’s game at home instead of from the press box and I’ll be writing my CSNwashington.com articles from my desk this week instead of from Redskins Park. After that, we’ll see. The two road games and subsequent bye week should set it up so I don’t miss any more games.

I’ll be doing the postgame chat tonight on CSNwashington.com, so if you want to join in just drop by about midway through the fourth quarter.

Rich, So glad to hear you dodged the bullet and are feeling better. I love your books and your reporting. You would have been greatly missed had you not been so lucky. Your PSA is well worth paying attention to by us older and fatter guys. I see my doctor regularly and so should everyone else. Guys, especially, seem to have a phobia about seeing the doctor. My doctor is even a cowboys fan and I have been seeing him regularly for over 20 years!

Guys....if you are over 40 and/or overweight...go see your family physician very soon. Make sure your family and loved ones have you around for a lot more years.

Enjoy the game.....and the rest of your life, Rich!

Glad you're OK Rich. You're not alone. I went through much the same thing a few years back. And I'll pile on to that PSA by saying less cheese burgers and more fruit cant hurt as well. You don't have to be a fanatic. Just mindful that excessive fat intake will lead to trouble down the road.

Archived