Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Devin Thomas Thinks Fantasia Video Got Him Cut.

OxonHillSkinsFan89

NOTE: I ran a search before posting this thread.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/10/14/devin-thomas-thinks-fantasia-video-got-him-cut/

Devin Thomas thinks Fantasia video got him cut

Posted by Michael David Smith on October 14, 2010 11:05 AM ET

After a week in which he was waived by the Redskins and claimed by the Panthers, receiver Devin Thomas says he's completely focused on football, and on helping Carolina win.

But Thomas knows some people question that focus.

Specifically, after Redskins coach Mike Shanahan said Thomas needs to be more focused on football, Thomas told Steve Reed of CarolinaGrowl.com that Shanahan got annoyed with his offseason endeavors, including appearing in the music video for Fantasia's "Bittersweet".

"I'll take that to heart, and now that I have a second chance, I'll make sure I do everything professionally," Thomas said. "I'm focusing on football. All that stuff can come later in life. I'm looking to just become a great receiver."

Ultimately, what matters is what a player does on the field. A player can spend the offseason making music videos or appearing on Dancing With the Stars or sitting on a tractor contemplating retirement as long as when he finally shows up, he contributes. Thomas's problem was that he never made an impact on the field.

"I'll take that to heart, and now that I have a second chance, I'll make sure I do everything professionally," Thomas said. "I'm focusing on football. All that stuff can come later in life. I'm looking to just become a great receiver."

This statement appears to indicate that he admits guilt.

That video didn't get him cut, him sucking got him cut. It didn't take Shanahan 6 months to decide he didn't like DT doing the video. DT was looking for a scapegoat and found an easy one in the video.

And where was all this realization when everyone was telling him to shape up and fly right?

I actually really like his attitude there. He doesn't defend it, he doesn't seek to go after his old coach as most players would. Instead, it sounds like he really took the criticism to heart. I'm not saying he can be a great receiver, but thats step number one and I will give him credit for that, if he is sincere.

The Fantasia video was merely a symptom of the true problem that got you cut, Devin.

Dedicating yourself in the offseason on your own, studying film constantly, picking weaknesses in your game and attacking them. These are the things seperate the good-great receivers from the draft busts.

Do you realize how many players would kill to have the physical skillset you have?

A lot of you are making assumptions even though we have gotten no information during this whole thing. I believe that he did get cut from appearing in that video because it was Devin that said it. He would know considering he was personally involved in the whole saga. Even Shanahan personally said that it was Devin's dedication to the game that ultimately decided his fate on the team. Why is it so hard to believe that Devin is a very promising player but was in Shanahan's doghouse from the beginning? Shanny is a stern, old school coach who feels that if you are more or even partly interested in being an artist or a football player he will not hesistate to jettison you for the good of the team, no matter how talented you are.

The fact is neither Thomas nor Kelly took their jobs seriously when coming to the Redskins. Neither one had their head on straight and it showed the very 1st year, both getting hurt and producing nothing. They were given a job they never earned, "the main reason for Zorn failing" and took that for granted. Neither of these guys are better than many back up receivers in this league, and they sure the hell aren't a savior for our offense.

It's great to have a coach to bring in competition and make you earn your job and playing time, and getting rid of these players who were dead weight and holding this team back, starting with the QB and so called leader of the offense who never earned his job either. We already see the difference a good coach makes, we would be 0-5 with last years team period. See ya Thomas and it's nobody's fault but his own. I will take Armstrong and Banks over Thomas anyday of the week!

For those who feel he's such a good receiver, we will see how far his career goes with another team. I'm not saying he can't be a good receiver, but it was obvious he wasn't dedicated to his job the way he should have been. He was given a fair shot like everyone else on this team, and he was beat out by older veteran players and Anthony Armstrong, who is already making an impact his 1st year in the league, that alone speaks for itself. I wish him the best and wish we would have at least got a draft pick for him, I do feel he was worth something.

This statement appears to indicate that he admits guilt.

Which is fine, people are allowed to make mistakes in life and sometimes a kick in the butt is really all you need.

Archived