Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

TV schedule would make you think the Redskins were 12-4 not 4-12!

ChicagoRedskinsFan

Of the Redskins first 6 games, 4 of them have received top billing. Two Sunday night games and two "A" games on Fox with Joe Buck and Troy Aikman. It's surprising that a team coming off a 4-12 season, with 3 playoff appearances in the last 18 years, would garner such national exposure. The Redskins have a good fan base, but not at the level of the Cowboys or Steelers (where I would think it might trump recent performance). We also have a Monday Night against the Eagles, and after that it probably depends on playoff implications. I'm glad to see it, since I'm an out of town fan - I just think it's interesting. So far we are 3-0 in these games, so hopefully that trend continues on Sunday night!

Were also playing top tier teams.. I dont know how the schedules are determined, but how we ended up (after going 4-12) with what I'd consider the toughest schedule in the league, is beyond me.. Do they just draw straws or something, after the division games??

Also not dissapointing..the games have been close except the rams game. But 2 OT's and beating 3 "superbowl bound" teams, at least at the time.

The McNabb/Vick game too.Good story line there. Glad the Skins have basically taken care of business.

Fixed it for you. ;)

I'm not entirely sure Mike Shanahan alone would garner that much attention. And I'm not sure McNabb by himself may garner that much attention but then again...considering the overall media up and downs and controversy with McNabb the past 10 years it would make sense that he attracts a lot of attention

Were also playing top tier teams.. I dont know how the schedules are determined, but how we ended up (after going 4-12) with what I'd consider the toughest schedule in the league, is beyond me.. Do they just draw straws or something, after the division games??

Every year you play each team in your division twice (6 games), your division matches up with one AFC division (4 games), your division matches up with one NFC division (4 games), and you play the teams in the remaining NFC divisions who finished where you did in your division (2 games). Notice that only two of those games are actually based on how you did last year, so your actual strength of schedule is mostly a matter of luck.

This is a tough schedule simply because we play in the NFC East, it's been four years since the last time the NFC East played the AFC West, and it's been three years since the last time the NFC East played the NFC North.

The Redskins are a premier NFL franchise with rich history and a large and rabid fanbase. Combine that with Mike Shanahan and Donovan McNabb and it's no surprise.

Fortunately for these networks we haven't been total dog **** and have justified our being in national TV games. Funny thing is our two games that recieved little to no national attention at all were the two games we lost. :laugh:

Wasn't McNabb signed after the schedule came out?

Nah, I even remember the "Schedule Release Show" on NFL Network where there was a lot of hype about when McNabb would return to Philly. So McNabb was definitely signed before...

Which makes sense considering that both Redskins-Eagles game will be National. The first one was at 4 pm and national on Fox...the second is gonna be on Monday Night Football after the bye week

I doubt the way they're airing the Skins-Eagles games are a coincidence at the very least..

This brings up something I hadn't really thought about. In recent years, the 'skins choked in big games. We would lose the Sunday nighter, the Monday nighter, when it was a chance to prove ourselves and we were in the limelight we talked big and then folded. Often in a big way. This year, in Nationally televised games including the season opener and annointing game of Dallas as they march towards their inevitable Superbowl in their home stadium... we not only held up, but are winning our fair share.

Wasn't McNabb signed after the schedule came out?

Technically, but if I remember correctly, there was a sudden delay in the schedule coming out once the trade happened...hmmm. All of a sudden there's a Skins-Eagles prime-time game. :ols:

Archived