Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

7 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

The whole team is in limbo right now, and it doesn't feel like we've got a great plan.  I don't have a good idea for how we get better without starting over

This right here. There is no plan. If you were gonna move Wall, get it done before the draft. If you want to rebuild the entire thing, make the moves before the draft. None of these moves are getting the Wizards closer to contending for a championship. If that’s not the goal, what’s the point. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, tshile said:

This seems extreme. 

I thoroughly enjoyed wall too. And I’ve got nothing against him. But he’s had injury problems and somethings the right move is to move one. 

the nba is a business and good gms make moves based on value not identity and faces of franchises. It isn’t a question of whether it messes with loyalty or identity. It’s a question of whether the team winds up better because of it. 

id prefer wall stay and they win and go as far as they  can.

The NBA is different from other leagues because of the amount of power the players have.  Especially the great ones.  You have to work with them as true partners, and loyalty does matter.  That's how we got Wall and Beal to sign their contract extensions when the franchise infrastructure here is a mom and pop operation compared to the good teams of the NBA.  No fan base.  Sub par facilities until Ted recently built the new ones.  Sub par game experience.  Bad front office.  Bad coaches.  Bad rosters around Wall and now around Beal.  Plus every good team needs an identity and a hierarchy that everyone can buy into.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

No, it depends on the lineup....I'd prefer Bertans starts, but I thought they considered him the 6th man for instant offense?

Bonga is a self check, he’s not starting anywhere.  Certainly not over the teams best shooter.  The starters need him on the floor to space the defense.  

Wizards really should have drafted Haliburton if they thought Wall was on his way out.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

I can't believe people actually want Wall with that contract. Perhaps his value relative to the league is higher than we thought, or more likely the league is full of idiot GMs/owners...

This.  I'm not even a Wizards fan, but if I was, and you told me that the Wizards had a chance to rid themselves of the worst contract in the NBA, I'd be ecstatic and jumping up and down.  Once you get rid of that contract, you put yourself in a much better position going forward.

• Like 1

Having a hard time feeling sympathy for Wall's POV. It was known he and Beal weren't fond of each other. He gets hurt and they don't push him to come back too fast while making crazy money. Beal meanwhile is driven into the court. Video of Wall throwing up gang signs? Not cool but the team had your back. 

Maybe use this as motivation to come back with an evolved game and show the league what you have. Then if you're still salty, ask for a trade. 

If Wall really wants out because the team said they were building around Beal, which is what I’m reading, the team needs send him on his way ASAP.  Dude has been gone for two years and everyone, including Beal, have to kiss the ring?  Before he even shows that he can still do it on the floor? 

He could have shown up with the right attitude and earned his top spot back.  If he’s the guy, get out there and prove it.  Isn’t that what a leader would do?  

I’m hoping these rumors are BS and he wants out for better reasons.  I’d even take the fact that they shopped him without speaking to him first.  That I can understand.  If it’s really because the team sees Beal as the guy right now, that’s weak.

• Like 2

I, on the other hand, am inspired by Wall’s willingness to look past these seemingly insurmountable challenges and demand a future that fulfills his wishes, which is why I am making it clear, here and now, that I want the European Southern Observatory to use the gigantic quad-laser at its Laser Guide Stars Facility (4LGSF) to utterly eradicate my physical self. I am aware of the impracticalities of this request, but I nevertheless feel that making this request known at this time is the best way of pursuing my goal of having my superheated molecules dispersed as a vapor into the warm night air.

Why the ESO 4LGSF quad-laser? For one thing, it is huge, and its four brilliant lasers are powerful enough to produce four artificial stars in the night sky, which scientists use to correct for atmospheric disturbance when mapping the cosmos. Unfortunately, as presently configured, the 4LGSF quad-laser would take 10 years to vaporize a cylinder of flesh roughly the width and depth of my chest. I view this as a mere logistical hurdle, roughly comparable to the challenge of trading an aging malcontent with a leg full of crabmeat and one of the two or three most expensive contracts in his sport, one month before the start of the regular season. Simply turn the various dials and work the various levers until the 4LGSF quad-laser has the blasting power of the Death Star, and then point it at my chest as I free fall from a passing airplane. I desire to be blasted into the afterlife in this manner, just as John Wall desires to be traded away from the Washington Wizards, and with roughly the same chances of success.

https://defector.com/john-wall-wants-the-wizards-to-trade-him-just-as-i-want-the-esos-gigantic-quad-laser-to-vaporize-my-corporeal-self/

I really missed the old staff at deadspin.  I’m glad they’re back together again, even if it is behind a paywall.  (So long as I can easily defeat it).  

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Destino said:

If Wall really wants out because the team said they were building around Beal, which is what I’m reading, the team needs send him on his way ASAP.  Dude has been gone for two years and everyone, including Beal, have to kiss the ring?  Before he even shows that he can still do it on the floor? 

He could have shown up with the right attitude and earned his top spot back.  If he’s the guy, get out there and prove it.  Isn’t that what a leader would do?  

I’m hoping these rumors are BS and he wants out for better reasons.  I’d even take the fact that they shopped him without speaking to him first.  That I can understand.  If it’s really because the team sees Beal as the guy right now, that’s weak.

Considering how much John has lauded Bradley's growth as a player, I think it's primarily the shopping him part....

Now with that being said, it does seem to me that Tommy has gone out of his way in multiple interviews to emphasize that Bradley is the guy and when John is mentioned it's like he's an afterthought to a certain extent.

Like he's basically Ish Smith. Heck, I've been noticing this for months now.

I suspect the emphasizing "Bradley's the guy" comment and also engaging in trade talks has him pissed.

Especially IF Tommy wasnt quite so forthcoming in private talks.

Either way, it's a mess...

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH
  • Like 2

John has always been loudly supportive of Beal and happy for him.  The only thing that could destroy their relationship is if Beal turned on him and pushed Tommy to trade him.

I am really hoping the stealth shopping was a Tommy Shepherd **** up and not Beal trying to play GM and being a snake.  That would really suck.

I thought Houston initally leaked the trade.

Sadly as a long time Bullets/Wiz fan, Westbrook or Wall doesn't matter... it's all about a fresh superstar.  If Beal takes another leaps, or Rui or the rookie or anyone else, that will make a difference.  Wall or Westbrook is more likely to be a push... I like being loyal to the guy who stuck with you... I also think Westbrook may have better intangibles.  

It's like the Kirk Cousins business... we all know as football fans that Cousins is a good, servicable QB.  But where is the rings, playoffs and championships?  Kirk is not on that level... so we rolled the dice with Haskins and will roll the dice with another young QB. 

Look at how the Heat rolled the dice on Butler....

3 hours ago, Hersh said:

If this is really the reason the Wiz are holding up the trade, they might as well fold the franchise

I wouldn't do that either.  Westbrook isn't worth Wall AND Bryant.  Bryant's only 23, cut him some slack.  

Maybe if all this meant getting all that cap space back it would be worthwhile, but it doesn't.