Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

9 hours ago, CRobi21 said:

At 6'9" and only 19, I wonder how much his growth spurt messed with his shooting consistency..

Didn't realize he was only 19 until you said it.  He's young for having two years of pro experience.  He's also big and filled out for his age.  Seems like he has a decent amount of untapped potential and I've seen intriguing Hedo Turkoglu comparisons.  I don't know that he's going to have that same quick, easy release on a dribble pull up from range that Hedo had.  But if he did get that... that would be nice to have.  Give us back some of the we lost when Bojan left, but hopefully without all of the things that Bojan took off the table.

Kind of feels like his floor could end up being TJ Warren and his ceiling is Turkoglu.

9 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Shepherd flatly denied that Wall requested a trade.  Shams reported that he did.  Woj did not confirm Shams's report.

I think Shams might have gotten played by someone in Houston.

At the same time, when asked point blank if he did demand a trade, Wall declined to comment.

17 minutes ago, bearrock said:

At the same time, when asked point blank if he did demand a trade, Wall declined to comment.

He said no comment to pretty much all of the questions he got about the trade rumors.  I think that's smart, and it's probably what everyone told him to say.  But in the video of him getting asked that question at the media session, it sounded like he actually said "No comment, I didn't."  He said something after no comment, but it's tough to make out exactly what it is he said.  Wall is a fast talker.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

That sounds super gossipy.  I need someone much more reliable than him to confirm that.

Simmons pulls crap out as if its happening because its what he thinks is happening and has no real sources. I can't find anyone else saying this either. 

If Winston gets the second two-way contract, then the roster is basically done:

8 Guards: Wall, Beal, Robinson, Brown Jr, Neto, Smith, Mathews, Winston

5 Forwards: Bertans, Hachimura, Avdija, Bonga, Gill

3 Centers: Bryant, Lopez, Wagner

They could sign one more player or promote one of the two-way guys and sign another one.  But they don't have to, and could leave the roster spot open to make unbalanced trades.

Some thoughts from me:

- There are some lurking issues at forward.  Paying Bertans 16 million per year to come off the bench feels dicey.  Getting unpleasant Mahinmi flashbacks from that.  But the difference is the Wizards already know what they have in Bertans and presumably have a plan for how to use him in lineups despite his absolute uselessness on one half of the court.

- There is no natural switchable wing defender to play between Beal and Bertans other than Bonga, and I don't know if he can play off the ball or shoot.

- Brown Jr is probably going to have to come off the bench for the foreseeable future.    But his lack of off-ball offense and range is mitigated if he plays with shooters like Neto, Mathews, Bertans, and Bryant.

- One way or another, we're going to have a recent 9th overall pick coming off the bench, which is a little disappointing.  Hachimura's job security isn't as solid as it seems.  He started all of his games last season, but the team just made a big cap commitment to his back up and drafted another big forward 9th overall.  And Hachimura doesn't defend, shoot, or rebound well enough to be versatile in line ups.

- Our center situation looks bad to me.  Lopez being the only half decent defender is a problem, especially as he's looking at like 16 MPG.  There is no glass cleaner there or at any of the forward spots.  There is no pick and roll defender there, or small ball five at the forward spots.  Bryant will play a ton of minutes and put up scoring numbers and we'll score 125 a game and give up 130.

Also wanted to say that they need to keep finding minutes for Robinson even with Wall and Beal back since he is likely our best perimeter defender by a large margin.

I keep coming back to the take that our ceiling as a team this season is limited unless Bryant and Hachimura make big strides on defense and on the glass.  It feels like everything hinges on them.  Bryant is going to play a ton of minutes due to the design of the roster.  And Hachimura is our most athletic forward and he needs a calling card.  Defense and rebounding are the ways he makes himself indispensable.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

They need to have Deni on a 2 way contract too...he's more useful getting valuable mins in the D league vs wasting away at the end of the bench

I'm pretty sure the contract structure for first round picks is strict and formulaic.  He wouldn't be eligible to sign a two-way deal.  We wouldn't want him on one anyway, you want the four years of control on lottery picks.

• Thanks 1

Brown Jr is slotted as the third guard I think.  Avdija is definitely a forward.  Maybe like a point forward, but a forward nonetheless.  The guys that Brown is competing with for minutes are Neto and Smith and Robinson most likely.  He's probably going to be the primary ball handler for the second line, but the reason he's slotted as more of a combo guard than a point is because they think he's too big and slow to guard opposing points and that he does better guarding off the ball.

Neto can spot up and shoot and play off the ball as well as run point. Smith can run point but can't guard anyone.  Robinson is a scorer and combo guard type but he's our best on ball defender, so he could guard opposing ones in lineups with Troy.  There is probably going to be a sizeable committee approach to point guard this year because Wall can't play back to backs and we have 16 of them.  That means either Neto or Smith will likely start a lot of games and Troy will get a lot of minutes as the third guard and effectively be our sixth man.

I think Avdija only really has Bonga in front of him.  If he demonstrates a reliable three ball, I think he'll start sooner than later.  He can probably play in line ups with Bertans immediately, and I actually really like a second line of him, Davis, Troy, Lopez, and Robinson/Neto.  Good mix of defense, shot creation, and shot making ability.

The bench is actually pretty solid this year.  There shouldn't be a huge drop off when Wall and Beal sit.

I think Troy is actually pretty good btw.  He averaged 15, 7, & 5 against less than 2 turnovers in the bubble.  He made strides and demonstrated an ability to run point full time on offense.  He's only 21 and he can handle the ball and defend.  He'll shoot better without the same pressure to score like he had in the bubble.  I think he is growing into a valuable rotation player.

• Thanks 1