Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

9 minutes ago, philibusters said:

Yeah, seems like a questionable deal.  Maybe the FO was not confident Schofield would make the roster this year.   For what its worth I like Winston.   He was a very good college player.  Might or might not translate, but I am more intrigued by him than you typical 53rd pick.

We basically gave up value to move down.  It should not have cost us a player and a higher pick to get a second rounder four years out.  Schofield was a second rounder, so I don't think his contract was guaranteed.  They put a lot of value in that second round pick four years from now.

We all hated the Schofield pick.  He seems like a good guy, but doesn’t look like an nba player after watching him for a season.  Still seems odd to trade him to move down.  That seems backwards unless Tommy was just trying to get rid of him and was really only interested in adding a 2nd rounder.  

• Like 1

People can complain, but not only did we have a 2nd round pick this year..... we picked someone that will contribute on our bench in the 2nd round, didn't trade an future 2nd round picks, and received a future 2nd round pick.

Sheppard put together a better bench last year than Grunfeld ever did in like 20 years.

Ironically Wall and his contract are what is holding the team back. I really don't want to see Wall again to comeback and dribble for 22 seconds of each shot clock

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok. Now that I’ve had some time to think about the draft...

1. at #9, Deni was the BPA, with an exception of possibly Haliburton. He has upside, and has some difficult to find intangibles that are primarily internal. 

2. trading down for Winston was not bad. I like Winston and like Deni, he has great bbiq. I really liked this pick. 

Here’s the problem, and why I was upset. ( though I accept that by sitting at 9 rather than trading up, there weren’t better options)

1. What is the makeup of this team? What is the structure? It appears our only strategy to winning right now is as an offensive juggernaut. At least need to average 150/g. That’s how bad this defense is. The team needs a 5 desperately, and all our cash will be going to Davis. You can’t say that you are drafting on potential, yet draft Admiral ahead of Bol Bol. Now here we are with Mo Wagner and Bryant as our rim protection, and no rookie potential in the pipeline. 

2. trading down to pick up a decent PG? Not bad. But a 2024 second is all we can get out of that deal? That’s a bad trade. OKC has 200 picks, and we Somehow found a way to trade for one that has no value. 

If there's one good thing about 2020 (other than kicking out the orange man), its that we only have about a month until we get to see Wall back and the new additions.

I'm an optimist but I feel good about the team and think we get back to the playoffs and maybe cause some trouble if Wall looks decent. Maybe that's not a great ceiling but it will still be fun to watch if we are scoring 130 each game. 

What annoys me about that draft is that Atlanta picked Okongwu even though they're already devoting a bunch of front court minutes to Capela and Collins.  He's not going to get the chance to play there that he would have here.  They just didn't want us to get him and fix some stuff about our team.

Whatever.  This team is going to be a wild ride.  Their ceiling on offense is sky high, especially if they bring back Bertans.  Their floor on defense is the inverse.  Stops are going to be hard when Wall is on the court, and impossible when he sits and Ish Smith/Cassius Winston trot out there.  We're going to need to make some trades to balance the roster and not be a first round out.

I like the Winston pick, so that's why I'm not to worried about the bizarre trade that brought him here.  I would have been excited to get him at that original draft slot we picked at since he's an American player that I've actually heard of and gotten to see play.  Feels like real second round value to get a guy who actually profiles as a strong back up PG.  A brilliant passer with a strong handle who can also pull up off the dribble and shoot threes for over 40% is nice.  Gonna have to hide him on defense as best we can, but it feels like we spent most of the last ten years searching for someone who can keep the offense from falling apart when Wall is out, except for that brief time when we had Sato.  Now we have him and Ish Smith and Beal can play lead guard for significant amounts of time, plus we have two secondary playmakers in Avdija and Troy Brown Jr.  That should be enough ball handling and passing to run a fluid offense even if Wall has to miss a ton of games.

Avdija and Rui and Bryant are all going to benefit from playing with him as PnR finishers.  The offense is going to be good this season.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

Honestly, who would want to play for us? I think that is part of the problem. DC is not an attractive place/franchise to play for.

Gotta be someone out there coming off an injury who will sign a 1 year deal for the minimum, get healthy, then cash in on a bigger contract somewhere else next year...

image.gif.2eda535561e0933f3b1ae5bbc851b458.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Haha maybe. I've heard Demarcus Cousins' name being mentioned in this thread for damn near 7 years now. I don't think he is coming here - although I agree his injury situation makes him an ideal candidate.

I just think back to when Durant was a free agent and he wouldn't even give us the time of day. A guy who grew up in DC. This franchise is a black hole.

• Like 1

6’10 dead eye three point shooters (off the bounce) don’t grow on trees.  

Lets take a moment to remember that the Spurs traded him to us for a song, in order to make room for Marcus Morris... who then backed out and signed elsewhere.  A rare screw up by the Spurs front office.  

We really do need a defensive center though.

• Like 1