Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

One of the worst defensive teams I've ever seen. Bryant is promising, but you can't win with him as your starting center in the NBA.

That fact is precisely why I hope they start him every game for the rest of the season.

Also, Porter is absolute trash.

13 minutes ago, Destino said:

We lose to bad teams with Wall.  This team’s special move is not showing up against bums.

I'm trying to stay awake from the daytrip yesterday and this team was already asleep.

Ted might be last person in DC to ever give up on Otto because hes paying him, wants a retun on that investment.

I'd like a t-shirt that says "Because he's our Closer." by Matt Williams as a symbol of DC sports right now.

37 minutes ago, Hersh said:

The Wiz, with a solid GM, should be able to get future assets for Ariza and Green. Even just a couple 2nd round picks 

This team treats 2nd round picks like Ted is allergic to them.  Ernie gets rid of them as soon as possible.

A better GM and Coach and you get much more out what is supposed to be what of the better guard combos in the NBA.  I'm tired of talking about combining best of what works with Wall with best of Everybody Eats, but they just won't do it.  Wasted era so far is an understatement.

• Sad 1

Someone remind me why we gave Porter all that money? Was he ever that good?

This franchise is such trash. I'll never stop cheering cuz I'm a homer for life but each year I care a little less. Combined with the fact that Wall looks like garbage, I don't see this team competing anytime soon. I'm talking 5+ years before we even sniff an Eastern Conference finals.

We suck.  We're a dead end team with a low ceiling and we're going to let the Lakers trade a bag of crap for Anthony Davis when we can clearly blow any offer they put on the table out of the water by trading one of our star guards.  And Beal has already given us signals he doesn't want to sign a third contract for us.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

It was made clear to us on numerous occasions that the Wizards absolutely had to Max Otto.  We just didn’t have any other reasonable options.

I hear you. In hindsight though we should've just let him walk to the Nets. I don't watch as much as all of you cuz I'm on the other side of the country, I'm just wondering what Porter showed in his first 3-4 years to justify a four year $106 million contract. Looking at his career stats right now I don't see it. I don't claim to be any kind of salary cap expert, maybe that's just how the market has evolved.

Basically I'm just bitter haha. I'd like to sign a good player who excels and earns his contract for once.

6 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Wiz was over the cap if they didn't sign him. They had no choice.

Oh really? I wasn't aware of that. We would've been over the salary cap if we didn't match the Nets offer? That doesn't make sense to me. Sorry I'm not familiar with all this. Players make too much money haha.

5 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

Oh really? I wasn't aware of that. We would've been over the salary cap if we didn't match the Nets offer? That doesn't make sense to me. Sorry I'm not familiar with all this. Players make too much money haha.

Summer of 2016 destroyed the future of this team. THat's why we were in cap hell.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

By the way, giving up 137 points to the Hawks at home. That's just horrendous. That seems to be a theme this year (and many years), horrible Wizards defense. Once Dwight Howard comes back we will have someone to defend the rim 🙄

I just hope next year Wall comea back strong and proves all the doubters (including me) wrong. I'd like to see us make some moves, I just don't see it happening. The front office is too stubborn and stagnant. 

DC deserves a good NBA team. We were kinda close, then fell off a cliff. 

• Like 1

Our defense is horrendous.  It shouldn't be this bad either.  Ariza is a really good defensive player and Otto and Sato are good defenders too.  The book on Troy Brown was that he can scrap and play defense too.  And Beal gives enough effort that you should be able to at least successfully hide him within a good scheme.

But you're going to be a crap defense when these things are the case:

1 - Thomas Brown is playing significant minutes for you at the five.  He might be able to play defense somewhere down the line, but he is an absolutely hopeless defensive player right now.

2 - Jeff Green is playing significant minutes for you at the four and five 😒.

3 - You're spending 21 million on Dwight Howard and Ian Mahinmi to be your interior defensive presence and they can't get on the floor--Dwight because his back is ruined and Mahinmi because he is a fouling machine

4 - You've buried Troy Brown on your bench in favor of a gunner with no defensive ability in Jordan McRae and an undersized PG who doesn't have a chance in Chasson Randle.

5 - You can't pull down defensive rebounds with any consistency.

6 - Your scheme sucks and the team has never been able to execute it effectively for any kind of sustained stretch.

Edited by stevemcqueen1

https://www.nba.com/wizards/john-wall-injury-update-2-5-2019

"
Washington, D.C. – Wizards guard John Wall will undergo surgery to repair a ruptured left Achilles tendon. The procedure, which has yet to be scheduled, will be performed by Dr. Robert Anderson in Green Bay, WI. Wall is expected to return to full basketball activity in approximately 12 months from the time of the surgery.

Wall had developed an infection in the incision from initial surgery on Jan. 8 (a debridement and repair of a Haglund’s deformity and a chronic Achilles tendon injury in his left heel that was also performed by Dr. Anderson) and he suffered the rupture after slipping and falling in his home. The rupture was diagnosed by Wizards Director of Medical Services and Orthopedist Dr. Wiemi Douoguih during a procedure to clean out the infection.

Wall averaged 20.7 points, 8.7 assists and 3.6 rebounds in 32 games for the Wizards this season."