Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Marc SteinVerified account
‏@ESPNSteinLine
ESPN sources say that the Wizards are in the process of waiving veteran guard Gary Neal, who has been plagued by a leg injury

Shams CharaniaVerified account
‏@ShamsCharania
The Wizards and free agent Marcus Thornton have reached agreement on a deal for the rest of the season, league sources tell The Vertical.

before becoming a GM, Grunfeld was previous experienced included rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic 

I have to admit as I watched the game last night, I thought the refs had inadvertently thrown out the wrong guy for throwing an elbow.  I thought the guy getting thrown out had to be the other guy...oh well.  We're a team rapidly heading nowhere...but at least we will have cap space even if we have no pick or likelihood of wooing talent to come play for us.

After MN, we enter the most critical 4 game stretch that I think decides the entire season. 

@ Cavs
Pacers
@ Portland
@ Utah

Got to win the 1 home game. Then we have to steal one at Portland or Utah and pray for 2-2. 

0-4, at this point, would be a dagger. 

I know there is something like 15% - 20% chance we make the playoffs. But my gut says this team is finished. 

coZtWv.gif

If we miss the playoffs the season ends with no playoffs, no draft picks, and no confidence in the coach or GM. What a mess.

Don't forgot it's also a 100% chance KD signs a 1-year deal with OKC and our entire off-season plan is a complete **** show with us frantically looking for plan B. This is going to be a disaster.

Edited by Duckus

Thornton is a classic desperation signing that just might give us the juice to finish with the 8th seed and save Ernie's job.

I can see Ernie's pitch now, "you see Ted, I made the playoffs despite the injuries. just wait until you see what I can do with a free agent money."

Thornton is a good pick up, and certainly better than Neal at this point since he will see the floor.

We have the talent to be the 2-3 seed in the east, but our coach is just awful. Yeah we haven't been healthy, but still the coaching has been just terrible 

If we go 11-7 these last 19 games that probably gets us the 7-8 seed. Even as an 8 seed it will be fun to watch them try and take down Lebron. Doubt we would get swept, just hope we can even get that far. Plus for some reason our players only progress their talents during the playoffs

Edited by Skins199021

Yeah see a talented team with an awful coach. Look at the Celtics roster... is it even better than ours? We beat Toronto in the playoffs last season.

We clearly have a coaching problem, something we have known for a long time now

I'm with you on the awful coaching, but I don't think this roster is nearly as good as we thought it would be.

Wall: what we expected

Beal: injury prone and when in the lineup, hasn't made the "leap"

Otto: I have no idea what to make of him, but should be a more consistent scoring threat. Still think there's a good player trapped in there somewhere, but his lack of production can't be brushed aside.

PF: we've plugged different options here all season, none have really worked. Dudley's been a good addition, but he is the very definition of a role player.

Gortat: our 2nd most consistent player, which says a lot about the state of our team.

thats just the starting lineup. Talent wise, its scaring nobody

Edited by StillUnknown

I see Wall as an All star. Morris was a borderline all star last season whose ceiling is an 17-18 points 8 rebound per game type guy. Beal has been very good this year, all star level....... when he plays.

Per 36 min, he is at 21 points per game over 45% shooting, He just needs to stay on the F'ing floor. Gortat is as solid as solid can be, and our bench (again when healthy) is fairly deep.

If Beal can play, and Anderson play more, and Thornton coming on, I expect to see Temple to just ride the bench.

We have talent, we need health..... but our coach is awful, again just look at our roster and the Celtics, their most efficient player is Jae Crowder, but their coach is a boss

Edited by Skins199021

Bullets Forever said of this move "Simply put, this is Wizards replacing an injured, shoot-first guard who struggles defensively with a healthy shoot-first guard who struggles defensively. If you take a look at their numbers this season, they're very, very similar."

Worst case scenario for Washington is they miss the playoffs and do just badly enough to lose the first. They either need to get their act together or fall apart completely. 

Stop doing things in 3/8s measures.

That's the problem with Ernie. He doesn't build for championships. His goal is to just make the playoffs. He is the definition of mediocrity.

Washington has to basically go 14-5 down the stretch to make it in. They play Atlanta 3 times, Golden State in Oakland, and LA Clippers in LA. I dont see Washington winning those games, especially in light of the fact that GS and LAC occur during 5 straight road games. So any loss that is not to those 3 teams could be the death knell. Still have to play Chicago once and Detroit twice as well. Those are going to be borderline playoff games. It will take Chicago and Detroit imploding for Washington to make it in imo.

Lost too many close game due to poor FT shooting, too many injuries, too many blown leads, no rebounding PF for 3 quarters of the season, etc. Combine that with the East getting better, and we miss the playoffs.

No chance we keep the 1st unless we jump into the top 3.

Best hope is to get a new GM who has a fresh mind, can put some pieces together in the offseason, and be healthy and ready next year to compete in the East. We CANNOT waste another year of Wall's prime.

Know a lot of you don't watch the Capitals (though you should) but they fired GM George McPhee two years ago and now are in the midst of one of the greatest regular seasons in NHL history. A new GM can change everything, Ted needs to fire Ernie and let the organization grow under someone who gets it.

• Like 1

After the 3rd time in a row of witnessing the Caps lose in OT in Verizon, followed by the drive home of shame, I decided my heart can only handle two local teams at a time. I still watch when I can though.

... And yea, we have been calling for Ernie Grunfield's head for a decade now. Thats not an exaggeration. But those posts are gone. Probably for the best. It was mostly Hands spewing venom on Gil every other post anyways.

Hands got banned from RealGM. He could put my word counts to shame. He was the kind of poster that nobody ever really liked or agreed with when he was around, but people got mad when he got banned. The forum probably lost 30% of its content because of banning him--to his credit, he did help drive discussion. He was kind of like a much less annoying Bubble Screen with the caveat that he actually did watch games and care about basketball. But he would make so many predictions and outlandish statements and would lord it over everyone when one ended up being right.

What did he get banned for?

TBH nothing specific. Just being his grating self, so far as I can tell. Something between him and the mods might have happened in private, but the mods wouldn't tell us because they didn't want to embarrass him. He'd gotten himself banned from the general forum a little while before, so he was already on the **** list of the admins. RealGM is different than here because the mods don't have banning powers, only the admins do. And the admins were apparently more than ready to ban Hands. We didn't have too many problems with him on the Wizards board, but I think he pissed a lot of fans of other teams off in the general discussions because of how overbearing he was. He was a worse speller than JMS too, reading his posts could be irritating.