Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I guess then who do you see going #1? Irving? Jones? Maybe even Kanter? I just think that Sullinger is the more ready to play of any guy thats why I've been saying he'll end up #1

I think it will end up being the forward that has the most dominant tournament.

Irving works if the team needs a PG. If you held 2005 over again, Chris Paul would be the first or second choice. That's Irving's best case scenario.

Perry Jones has the profile of a first overall choice. I see a lot of T-Mac in him and that's first overall value, especially since the kid is 6-10. He'll be one of the most interesting wing prospects available in some time. When he's done growing he could be the size and body type of LaMarcus Aldridge. With his speed, he'll be in the same class of physical freakishness as LeBron.

I was thinking we should be looking at a center with Atlanta's pick, but wow. This draft might set a record for fewest centers drafted. There is no one. nbadraft.net's mock has two straight up centers being drafted in two rounds. One a round.

---------- Post added March-7th-2011 at 01:38 AM ----------

BTW, glad I could spur a pretty lengthy discussion with my comments on Ernie. Sorry I haven't been around. I just think the values in the slots he's been drafting have been outstanding. And I guarantee that any GM you'd want to replace him with also has some Pecherov ducks on his resume.

McGee had two rebounds tonight in 30 minutes. My patience is really growing thin with him. He's regressed from the start of the year. With the comments from his mom that she thinks he's a PF, to him saying on twitter that he doesn't need to bulk up and with his continued stupid plays, I'm just about done with him.

Trade him while he still has value. Since teams are under valuing this years draft, see if you can get a late lottery pick for him. He's going to be in a contract season next year. I don't trust him one bit.

As usual, there are going to be very good college players in this draft who are going to become very solid NBA players who may be there when we use the Atlanta pick (Markieff Morris probably but maybe just maybe Nolan Smith & Marcus Morris too).

Marcus reminds me a lot of David West.

If you draft Enes Kanter, then McGee makes sense at PF... if he became a better shooter. He's like Josh Smith. Defensively, I think he'd handle a switch to PF much better. Does he have the offensive versatility for it though? He's got to be able to threaten with a decent shot.

His coach in college said he was basically a 7' small forward.

His coach in college said he was basically a 7' small forward.

That's his problem. He was taught to play as a forward but he has absolutely zero forward like skills. He's not a good passer, he has no post game, he's a poor finisher around the rim and he doesn't have a respectable 12-15 ft shot.

His best skill as a forward would be weak side shot blocking but the problem is you can't win in the NBA with two big men who have no outside game. At least one of the big men have to have a respectable mid range shot.

That's his problem. He was taught to play as a forward but he has absolutely zero forward like skills. He's not a good passer, he has no post game, he's a poor finisher around the rim and he doesn't have a respectable 12-15 ft shot.

His best skill as a forward would be weak side shot blocking but the problem is you can't win in the NBA with two big men who have no outside game. At least one of the big men have to have a respectable mid range shot.

the more I think about McGee, the more he reminds me of streetball player trying to play pro ball

I like McGee a lot, but I wouldn't be upset if the Wizards were to let him go. The guy is good for rebounds and the big jam, but that's about it. Is it worth keeping him around?

The only people that rebound at a good clip on this team are Booker, Blatche and wall. Everyone else is either average or below average. McGee given his size and athleticism is WELL below average. Kwame mother****in brown was a better rebounder.

I wouldn't call Blatche a good rebounder. Seriously, all hate aside, I think he gets decent rebound numbers for much the same reason he gets his other numbers: because somebody has to. It also doesn't hurt that the center he's playing next to, takes himself out of evry other rebound opportunity because he needs to try to block anything remotely near him (gotta get those 2 a game somehow). Blatche's problem is that he stands around with his thumb up his ass and his mouth hanging open instead of working for position. (A couple of great examples were those Booker put back dunks from about two weeks ago. Go back and watch the highlights. While Booker is flying in, you can see Blatche standing at the free throw line just watching.)

McGee is just pathetic all the way around. I've never seen someone so clueless when it comes to angles (I.e. the flight of the shot and how it's going to come off the rim). And then he throws little temper tantrums when the ball doesn't come right to him and the other team gets the offensive rebound. There wasa game like a month ago where I swear to God the other team got like four offensive rebounds on one possession. McGee standing under the basket the whole time. I felt like shooting myself, it was so maddening to watch. McGee really does think--and I blame his mom for this--that he can just out athlete everyone. **** ain't gonna work son. I see no improvement in the mental side of the game from him. I remember reading about how Rodman would just stand under the basket and watch missed shots for hours on end so he could learn the angles. You think McGee would do something like that? Come on.

Wall on the other hand is a very good rebounder. He'll be one of the best rebounding guards in the league, if he isn't already.

BTW, ACW text me (I lost all my contacts). Trying to see if you're down with hitting up the game tomorrow. If anyone else is, shoot me a PM. Vishal was supposed to go but he had to go out of town so I'm trying to find some people. It's Blake Griffin's one game in DC this year.

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

JaVale McGee is 10th in total rebounds and 13th in rebounds per game amongst NBA centers. He's not great but he's not amongst the worst either, especially when you consider this is his first year getting starter minutes. As for Trevor Booker, McGee even had more rebounds per 48 minutes (which equalizes playing time) last season than Booker has this year.

Trevor Booker and JaVale McGee would be best utilized coming off the bench IMO. I haven't caught the Booker fever. The guy is decent and that's really as far as I'd take it.

edit: J Wall is 10th amongst point guards in RP48. The kid can play.

Edited by Destino

I think my dream draft is drafting sullinger, then trading the ATL pick and Blatche to move up or take on an expiring contract and get a top pick and pick barnes

then pick a C in the second

Wall

Crawford/Young

Barnes

Sullinger

Mcgee

would be awful fun to watch grow together, and would be full of potential

what i'm hoping for is a draft day trade of McGee for batum straight up. Then if I had the draft go my way I'd draft kanter with the first pick, im pretty much sold that the guy will bring the toughness and offense we need in the middle. With the ATL pic I'd like to pick up Singleton if he's still on he board and if not him, Jordan Hamilton. With our 2nd rounder I'd want Jeremy Tyler. Roll out with

Wall/vet

Young/Crawford

Batum/(singleton/hamilton)

Blatche/Booker/tyler

Kanter/seraphin.

Maybe try to trade blatche if he doesn't come around. I think that squad has the best long term potential.

---------- Post added March-12th-2011 at 01:10 AM ----------

I wouldn't call Blatche a good rebounder. Seriously, all hate aside, I think he gets decent rebound numbers for much the same reason he gets his other numbers: because somebody has to. It also doesn't hurt that the center he's playing next to, takes himself out of evry other rebound opportunity because he needs to try to block anything remotely near him (gotta get those 2 a game somehow). Blatche's problem is that he stands around with his thumb up his ass and his mouth hanging open instead of working for position. (A couple of great examples were those Booker put back dunks from about two weeks ago. Go back and watch the highlights. While Booker is flying in, you can see Blatche standing at the free throw line just watching.)

McGee is just pathetic all the way around. I've never seen someone so clueless when it comes to angles (I.e. the flight of the shot and how it's going to come off the rim). And then he throws little temper tantrums when the ball doesn't come right to him and the other team gets the offensive rebound. There wasa game like a month ago where I swear to God the other team got like four offensive rebounds on one possession. McGee standing under the basket the whole time. I felt like shooting myself, it was so maddening to watch. McGee really does think--and I blame his mom for this--that he can just out athlete everyone. **** ain't gonna work son. I see no improvement in the mental side of the game from him. I remember reading about how Rodman would just stand under the basket and watch missed shots for hours on end so he could learn the angles. You think McGee would do something like that? Come on.

Wall on the other hand is a very good rebounder. He'll be one of the best rebounding guards in the league, if he isn't already.

BTW, ACW text me (I lost all my contacts). Trying to see if you're down with hitting up the game tomorrow. If anyone else is, shoot me a PM. Vishal was supposed to go but he had to go out of town so I'm trying to find some people. It's Blake Griffin's one game in DC this year.

He's been rebounding better as of late..but thats probably because hes finally healthy and playing within himself...of course..then he goes and gets injured in true wizards fashion.

JaVale McGee is 10th in total rebounds and 13th in rebounds per game amongst NBA centers. He's not great but he's not amongst the worst either, especially when you consider this is his first year getting starter minutes. As for Trevor Booker, McGee even had more rebounds per 48 minutes (which equalizes playing time) last season than Booker has this year.

Trevor Booker and JaVale McGee would be best utilized coming off the bench IMO. I haven't caught the Booker fever. The guy is decent and that's really as far as I'd take it.

edit: J Wall is 10th amongst point guards in RP48. The kid can play.

I think his rebounds come from his size, athleticism and, again, because someone has to get them. Decent rebound numbers doesn't mean he's a good rebounder. Because he's not. He could be so much better.

As far as Wall goes, I recently posted a Wall topic on what I gotta think is the biggest NBA forum there is, asking for people's opinions about. I asked for opinions since you really don't see much discussion about Wall (large part because Griffin--unfairly imo--is running away with the ROY Award). I was pleasantly surprised by the replies. It was almost unanimous that Wall is going to be THE best PG in the league in three years. Better than Rose, better than Paul, better than Williams. Or in the least, has the ability to be. He's putting up similar numbers as all three in their rookie seasons and averaging more assists than any of them. And this is all coming with by far the worst supporting cast.

The only players I would even hesitate to trade on this team are Wall (the one true untouchable), Booker, Seraphin and Crawford (whom I'm digging.) Everyone else I'd actively be looking to move with a fair deal; that includes McGee (especially) and even Young.

---------- Post added March-12th-2011 at 02:32 AM ----------

what i'm hoping for is a draft day trade of McGee for batum straight up. Then if I had the draft go my way I'd draft kanter with the first pick, im pretty much sold that the guy will bring the toughness and offense we need in the middle. With the ATL pic I'd like to pick up Singleton if he's still on he board and if not him, Jordan Hamilton. With our 2nd rounder I'd want Jeremy Tyler. Roll out with

Wall/vet

Young/Crawford

Batum/(singleton/hamilton)

Blatche/Booker/tyler

Kanter/seraphin.

Maybe try to trade blatche if he doesn't come around. I think that squad has the best long term potential.

You absolutely cannot win with Blatche as your starting 4.

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

I think his rebounds come from his size, athleticism and, again, because someone has to get them. Decent rebound numbers doesn't mean he's a good rebounder. Because he's not. He could be so much better.

As far as Wall goes, I recently posted a Wall topic on what I gotta think is the biggest NBA forum there is, asking for people's opinions about. I asked for opinions since you really don't see much discussion about Wall (large part because Griffin--unfairly imo--is running away with the ROY Award). I was pleasantly surprised by the replies. It was almost unanimous that Wall is going to be THE best PG in the league in three years. Better than Rose, better than Paul, better than Williams. Or in the least, has the ability to be. He's putting up similar numbers as all three in their rookie seasons and averaging more assists than any of them. And this is all coming with by far the worst supporting cast.

The only players I would even hesitate to trade on this team are Wall (the one true untouchable), Booker, Seraphin and Crawford (whom I'm digging.) Everyone else I'd actively be looking to move with a fair deal; that includes McGee (especially) and even Young.

---------- Post added March-12th-2011 at 02:32 AM ----------

You absolutely cannot win with Blatche as your starting 4.

I think Jeremy tyler has starting potential for the future. Booker could suffice until he's ready. Eventually i'd like to see Blatche in a 6th man role. Given your sig I'm not gonna try to convert you into thinking he can be a decent player.

I mean he would be detrimental to any team that is trying to win. He's lazy, he's selfish, he's a punk, he showed up in a contract year and then mailed it in after he got paid, he's a ****ty 3 in a 4 body. Basically the worst kind of player. Seriously, go to a game and just watch Blatche. It's ridiculous how he plays. When Wall called out his teammates two weeks ago, who do you think he was talking about?

Question, why is this considered Blake Griffin's rookie season? This is his second year on the team, his second go around through training camps, and his second year watching and practicing with the pros. In my book, he's not a rookie.

Question, why is this considered Blake Griffin's rookie season? This is his second year on the team, his second go around through training camps, and his second year watching and practicing with the pros. In my book, he's not a rookie.

I agree. It is quite a benefit going through camp and just being around an NBA team for that long to learn the ropes. But since he never took the floor in an official game last year (despite being MVP of the summer league), he is still technically a rookie.

Here is a decent article, even though I don't agree with the last few paragraphs. But it is from a college paper, so I an not surprised that it is biased in favor of someone:

http://www.stanforddaily.com/2011/02/08/makowsky-griffin-lacks-rookie-for-rookie-of-the-year/