Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Wow, I'm in a thread in stadium and I'm starting to realize that people think that the skins have more hope than wizards right now

Now I bleed burgundy and gold before any of my other teams but I know that the wizards are a healthy John wall away from making noise

What do y'all think?

They are delusional. The Redskins have young talent but most of it is incredibly average or below average.

The Wizards are stacked with guys that if they pan out, they have a chance to be top 5 at their respective positions.

They are delusional. The Redskins have young talent but most of it is incredibly average or below average.

The Wizards are stacked with guys that if they pan out, they have a chance to be top 5 at their respective positions.

Exactly....they were saying that there is no teams in the area in a state of flux like the wizards and I thought, "are you kidding?"

First off let me just say that I got Wednesday covered at work so I'm good to go :)

Wow, I'm in a thread in stadium and I'm starting to realize that people think that the skins have more hope than wizards right now

Now I bleed burgundy and gold before any of my other teams but I know that the wizards are a healthy John wall away from making noise

What do y'all think?

The Skins fanbase is out of it's ****ing mind. Seriously, the Wiz are my break from that madness. They suck, very much so, but at least we have a general sense of where we're going. And while I think a lot of the hate for Snyder is a bit overamped, there is no doubt that Ted >>>>>>> Snyder. Everything starts at the top.

Wiz > Skins for me so I might be a bit biased. But I LOVE the Skins. They're just a ****ed up franchise. Period. It's gotten really hard for me to even care about them. I mean I still get spontaneously (naturally) hyped during games but afterward it just feels so hollow.

This team loves to have teammates fighting each other. Gong back to at least Strick and Tracy Murray.

There was this from the comments on the Post article:

i was there blatche hit javales friend i think and javale went to go see what was happening and a piss drunk blatche started screaming i hate this team and started swinging at javale so mcgee starting punching back..AL-T tryed to stop it but was puched and hit with sticks by blatche body guard causing a blooding face..it seemed like dre friends were fighting mcgee friends..very crazy

Anonymous post on a news article, I know, but for some reason I believe it.

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

First off let me just say that I got Wednesday covered at work so I'm good to go :)

Awesome, I'll shoot you a PM so we can work out the details. So far it's still you, me and 2k. Another poster on here Jared (Old Dominion Monarch) might join us as well.

About this fight, I'm officially done with Dray. From all accounts, this fight started because Dray was drunk and being a moron. This is not a guy I want this team to rebuild around anymore. He's been given ever damn opportunity to succeed and he's blown each and every one of them.

Definitely top 5 in the East at least. Wall, McGee, and Young will all be good, All-Star caliber players for a long time. We'll also probably get a top 5 pick this year and come away with a nice forward to add to the mix. We've got role players too. Blatche can score in bunches when he plays well. Seraphin and Booker being beef to the front court. It's one of the most talented young cores in the entire league.

Plus the Wizards' roster makes good financial sense. They'll have massive amounts of cap room right as this team begins its window of contention. It'll be interesting to see how the cap gets defined in a new CBA. If the status quo is maintained, we could be looking at a situation where we'll be able to extend our stars without any problems whatsoever once their deals are up. And then once Rashard's contract enters it's final year, our guys will just be entering their primes and he'll become a powerful trade chip for adding a max deal type player if we want.

The Redskins have a whole lot of Josh Howards and Rashard Lewis's if you know what I mean. The only thing they've got that's really worth a damn in the long term is a nice young LT, OLB, a good pair of receiving TEs, and SS that may or may not have serious Achilles problems. Everyone else is entirely replaceable. As far as I'm concerned, the Redskins are nowhere near as close to contending as the other three DC franchises. If anything, they moved backward last offseason while everyone else took huge strides forward.

---------- Post added December-25th-2010 at 09:57 PM ----------

Trade Blatche and hope and pray we can land Jared Sullinger in the next draft...

+1,000,000. Sullinger would be a rich man's Blatche when you get down to it. His post game is much better, he's got a great motor, and gets a ton of rebounds. Plus his basketball IQ seems to be much higher.

The athletic profile for Sullinger doesn't blow you away and I don't think he brings much of a game above the rim. Plus I doubt he'll be able to run the floor as well as Blatche does. Those are my reservations with him. He's a heavy guy who's going to have a high body fat % and will probably only measure in around 6'8 without shoes. But the kid is very obviously a great basketball player and I would ignore those measurables and take him first overall if I had the pick--pending an Andray Blatche trade...

I could see Sullinger's ceiling being a lot like Kevin Love's. He's definitely not the passer and not the rebounder that Love is right now. But he's much more offensively gifted IMO and I think he's stronger than Love is. He's also got a 7'1 wingspan so the length is adequate. And he's got that same insatiable motor and gift of situational awareness that Love has (drawing fouls, shooting high percentage shots, finding his open teammates, putting himself in the right place at the right time for constant rebounds). He'd give us a nice half court offense with a legit low post scoring option. That'd be good in our current system (although it doesn't look like Flip is going to stay). The post game polish and the rebounding alone makes him a great pick for us. Lord knows we need both. Defensively, he lets Javale play the ball without worrying about the rebound because Sullinger can come down with them.

But we wouldn't get value out of Sullinger unless we traded Blatche first or immediately after picking him. There is just such a logjam at PF on our roster in the longterm that picking a PF high isn't the best plan for roster management. Blatche is only 24, Seraphin is young and has a high level of upside. Booker can't play the 3 until he gets a better handle and outside shot. If Yi is in our longterm plans, that's another PF type who's too soft to play the pivot consistently. Sullinger doesn't run or handle the ball well enough to be a good option at the 3. IMO he's a short 4 in the NBA with a respectable perimeter shot.

Besides Blatche, who do we have that's worth a damn in a trade aside from Young/Wall/McGee? I'm asking this because I wish we could actually get a pair of top 6 picks this year like Minnesota had in '09. If we could do that, we'd probably be able to get both Sullinger and Barnes and set our team for the long term. I could see the draft playing out like this:

1 Sacramento - Perry Jones

2 Minnesota - Kyrie Irving

3 Washington - Harrison Barnes

4 Washington (via Clippers) - Jarred Sullinger

5 Cleveland - Terrence Jones

6 New Jersey - Derrick Williams

I wouldn't count Josh Selby and Brandon Knight out of the mix. Or any of the foreign bigs either. But those guys look like the top 6 prospects early on. It'd be fantastic if we could find a way to get the third and fourth picks in the class and get both Barnes and Sullinger. Then you'd have the perfect mix on the offensive side of the ball and pretty strong defenders aside from Sullinger. Plus the great thing about Barnes and Sullinger is that we'd go from a dumb, lazy team to a highly intelligent, hustle team by adding them. Both Sullinger and Barnes are team first guys who would have no problem deferring to our dynamic back court scorers like Young and Wall. I'm not worried about Sullinger's lack of athleticism in the paint because McGee has enough for both of them and brings all of the defensive potential we need there. Barnes can shoot and play good defense so he takes nothing away from the table at all and carries a good deal of offensive potential in his own right. Man that would be an awesome starting five.

Edited by stevemcqueen1

The problem with grabbing Sullinger is that he will probably be a prime pick (#1 or 2 IMO). Kyrie will fall (or not even come out) especially if he cannot come back this year and Jones may get exposed in the Big 12 ( has measurables for days but needs to add a bit of muscle). The kid out of Kentucky is dirty but Sullinger definitely looks to be the 2nd most "NBA ready" freshman in his class (behind Irving IMO). It would be a huge coup if the Wiz, or any team with a lot of talent for that matter, can land him but hes gone real early....

Why haven't the Wizards traded Blatche? I can't think of one guy playing on any Washington professional sports team over the past 5 years that is more frustrating. I don't know why GMs love certain players. I know EG is afraid that he's got that Jermaine O'Neal career arc going, and if we "give up" on Blatche and he goes somewhere else Grunfeld will look like an idiot. But watching this high-schooler with talent try to grow up and mature into a professional sucks... and sometimes a change of uniform is good.

The problem with grabbing Sullinger is that he will probably be a prime pick (#1 or 2 IMO). Kyrie will fall (or not even come out) especially if he cannot come back this year and Jones may get exposed in the Big 12 ( has measurables for days but needs to add a bit of muscle). The kid out of Kentucky is dirty but Sullinger definitely looks to be the 2nd most "NBA ready" freshman in his class (behind Irving IMO). It would be a huge coup if the Wiz, or any team with a lot of talent for that matter, can land him but hes gone real early....

Love got the same kind of HS recruiting hype that Sullinger did and had a great freshman season. He fell pretty far on draft day for the same reasons Sullinger will. Sullinger is even shorter and less athletic than Love is and he's not as good a passer or defender as Love was. Guys like Sullinger--Scola, Love, Milsap, Jefferson--they are good players but they don't get picked early. I'd actually be a bit surprised to see Sullinger go top 4. The rest of the class would really have to suck for that to happen. Taking Sullinger so high when he's going to struggle to score against long, athletic bigs (already gets his shot blocked often) and when he gives you very little defensive potential at the 4 is not the conventional move.

Convention says that Irving will be the first pick based on the fact that he was playing even better than Wall did before his freak injury. If he comes back in time for the workouts then I doubt his stock will take too big a hit. I could also see Perry Jones going first overall, or even Barnes if he has a strong stretch run. Jones has the best body and potential in the class and he's already got a great handle and perimeter game. Scouts aren't going to care much about his numbers this year because he's being played out of position at the 4 and 5 at Baylor to make room for Quincy Acy when he'll almost certainly be a 3 in the NBA.

Everyone already penciled Barnes in as the first overall pick before the season, so all it will take is a good tournament from him to reclaim that spot.

Also I wouldn't discount Josh Selby. If he shows strong passing and defensive skills over the remainder of the season, he's got the pedigree to go first or second overall too. He's a phenomenal athlete with great quicks and a strong handle as well as a superb shot. He's going to have a big time year and he'll probably make a name for himself in March. Brandon Knight could too if he were a better passer.

Wizard homers ;)

No way do the Wizards outrank the 'Skins :)

In terms of talent? It's not even close. The Skins aren't even close to the Nats in terms of purely young talent and future hope.

The DC sports scene in terms of quality of rosters right now:

1. Caps.

2. Wizards.

3. Nats

4. Skins

In terms of talent? It's not even close. The Skins aren't even close to the Nats in terms of purely young talent and future hope.

The DC sports scene in terms of quality of rosters right now:

1. Caps.

2. Wizards.

3. Nats

4. Skins

The Caps have NEVER won anything.

The Wizards only championship was about a decade prior to the Redskins last one.

Washington Baseball has been in and out of DC how many times?

Call me when the Caps actually win something. In the NBA, only the teams with all stars win championships.

The Caps have NEVER won anything.

The Wizards only championship was about a decade prior to the Redskins last one.

Washington Baseball has been in and out of DC how many times?

Call me when the Caps actually win something. In the NBA, only the teams with all stars win championships.

Um ok what is your point? I'm not debating legacy or history. I'm debating the present and the current state of the franchises.

Reading comprehension chipwich. Start working on it.

Um ok what is your point? I'm not debating legacy or history. I'm debating the present and the current state of the franchises.

Reading comprehension chipwich. Start working on it.

My point is they are in the same shape. All of them.

Wall, if good will take a minimum of 3-5 years to be a contender.

Nats, minimum of 3-5 years to contend.

Capitals are contending now, but have had a monkey on their back their entire franchise history. They have had better teams in past histories and never won anything.

The Redskins, minimum 3-5 years to contend.

Comprende' comprehension guru?

My point is they are in the same shape. All of them.

Wall, if good will take a minimum of 3-5 years to be a contender.

Nats, minimum of 3-5 years to contend.

Capitals are contending now, but have had a monkey on their back their entire franchise history. They have had better teams in past histories and never won anything.

The Redskins, minimum 3-5 years to contend.

Comprende' comprehension guru?

The building blocks for the Nats, Wizards and Capitals are much better in terms of quality and quantity than the Redskins. That is not even debatable.

Now what the managements do with the blocks is a whole different story.

Edited by No Excuses

The building blocks for the Nats, Wizards and Capitals are much better in terms of quality and quantity than the Redskins. That is not even debatable.

How many years are the WIzards from being legitimate contenders?

Redskins?

There is no debate, the Redskins have as much chance to contend over the next 305 as the Wizards. How long did it take Cleveland to be a contender once they go Lebron?

The Nats have to HOPE their young pitchers pan out, the haven't yet.

The Caps are lacking veteran depth at key postions, and GMGM has shown that he isn't good at tweaking rosters for Cup runs.

So it is debatable. All the franchises are in the same boat.