Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

The building blocks for the Nats, Wizards and Capitals are much better in terms of quality and quantity than the Redskins. That is not even debatable.

Now what the managements do with the blocks is a whole different story.

Without question. The Wiz and Nats have a future. The Redskins do too but they need to form and execute a rebuilding plan and not screw around with it.

---

The Caps have never had this much raw talent. They had their squad of grinders in the mid-late 90's and they were consistently ousted by Pittsburgh and when they finally did make it they were worked over by the dynasty Red Wings. People expecting them to win 2 years after becoming legit again are crazy. We have a window.

So it is debatable. All the franchises are in the same boat.

You are looking at it purely from a championship standpoint. I don't think any of our teams are championship contenders either. All I'm saying is to get to that point, I think the Caps are the closest. They have a huge window of oppurtunity and will contend for a decade barring catastrophe. The Wizards are pretty far off but they have talent at key positions, especially in the backcourt with Wall and Young. The Nats have the makings of a strong pitching rotation and have an ELITE batting talent waiting to come to the pros.

The only thing the Redskins have going for them right now is faith in a good coach. The talent is simply not there yet. I do believe that the Skins have the best management in terms of all DC teams right now so they have a good chance of utilizing talent that they may acquire in the next two years.

Edited by No Excuses

You are looking at it purely from a championship standpoint. I don't think any of our teams are championship contenders either. All I'm saying is to get to that point, I think the Caps are the closest. They have a huge window of oppurtunity and will contend for a decade barring catastrophe. The Wizards are pretty far off but they have talent at key positions, especially in the backcourt with Wall and Young. The Nats have the makings of a strong pitching rotation and have an ELITE batting talent waiting to come to the pros.

The only thing the Redskins have going for them right now is faith in a good coach. The talent is simply not there yet. I do believe that the Skins have the best management in terms of all DC teams right now so they have a good chance of utilizing talent that they may acquire in the next two years.

I agree with that.

I think it's hard to compare football with other sports. Football has the easiest path to a quick turnaround. I mean you can go from last to first in a season or two. That's impossible in basketball, damn near impossible in baseball (unless you're just loaded with young talent after YEARS of high draft picks, i.e. the Rays) and I'm not sure how it works with hockey as I couldn't care less about hockey.

But you need two things in football. Young talent that's set to explode and the QB. Where is that on the Skins? No where. The Skins are a disaster. Point blank. There's not going to be any quick turnaround here.

I think it's hard to compare football with other sports. Football has the easiest path to a quick turnaround. I mean you can go from last to first in a season or two. That's impossible in basketball, damn near impossible in baseball (unless you're just loaded with young talent after YEARS of high draft picks, i.e. the Rays) and I'm not sure how it works with hockey as I couldn't care less about hockey.

But you need two things in football. Young talent that's set to explode and the QB. Where is that on the Skins? No where. The Skins are a disaster. Point blank. There's not going to be any quick turnaround here.

Hockey is similar to baseball. You have your AHL and ECHL affiliates and you draft the rights of college/major junior/European players early and let them develop as you wish.

Pretty much and that was there for the Capitals. Ovechkin was an excellent building block and having a guy like him raised the play level of the other young players and helped attract veteran free agents.

The Wizards and Nationals have those elite level building blocks with Wall, Strasburg and Harper.

The Skins are sorely lacking a franchise QB right now. The state of this franchise won't change until then. The entire city is tired of having this circus carousel at this position. It's high time we get a guy who can be our own for 10+ years.

You know what, McGee's shot blocking hurts us in the end. The fact that he needs to try to block EVERY SINGLE SHOT that's remotely close to him takes him out of position on rebounds time and time again. We get Jordan Hill killing us with put backs as a result. That coupled with the fact that Andray Blatche is a soft ***** that doesn't know how to fight for a rebound to save his life is just disastrous.

---------- Post added December-27th-2010 at 10:29 PM ----------

Oh and ESPN is saying there is a rumor that we're trying to trade Blatche. So at least I got that to help me sleep at night.

The Caps have NEVER won anything.

The Wizards only championship was about a decade prior to the Redskins last one.

Washington Baseball has been in and out of DC how many times?

Call me when the Caps actually win something. In the NBA, only the teams with all stars win championships.

The typical response of a Redskins fan when faced with how ****ty the franchise has become: cling to the glory of the 80's. We're talking about where the teams are at right now. Projecting where they will be for the next decade. The simple fact is that the Redskins currently look like **** and probably won't be any better for a long time. At least the Wizards and Nats have enough young talent to give fans some hope. The Redskins have next to nothing and an incompetent owner.

Also, the Caps are clearly the best franchise in town right now. I don't know how anyone can argue against that.

Besides, the Redskins have been around forever and when you take out the 40's and the 80's, all of that history we have starts to look like **** too.

I'm a much bigger Redskins fan than any other pro or college team in any sport. Our legacy of incompetence over the past 20 years is soul crushing. The team doesn't deserve your defense.

Edited by stevemcqueen1