Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

44 minutes ago, Destino said:

Bertans at the five is a disaster.  We’re going to have to sign a guy off the street if Gafford is out for extended time.  

I understand that Unseld had to deal with Gafford leaving, but whoa, that lineup of Beal, Holliday, Deni, Kuzma, and Bertans looked sooo lost.  

Deni had one play where Brown just blew by him and looked really bad, but I give him credit, he, Kuzma, and Bertans had good efforts on D, Kuzma had a big tip back, and Holliday had some big shots in the fourth.

Beating the Celtics in the Boston with a big off night from Beal and losing Gafford mid game is impressive.

27 minutes ago, CRobi21 said:

Dinwiddie is our closer. 100%

Beal isn't even our 2nd option, imo. 

Beal has started this season ice cold.  Three games played and he hasn’t shot 40% or better from the field in any of them.  His three ball is so much worse, 4-25 (.160) on the year.  

The good news is we know he’s going to be so much better.  He’s never been great in clutch moments, but scoring is something he has proven he can do.  Wizards will be getting an additional 10ppg game soon, with no additional shots taken.  

… and they’ll get Rui and Bryant back.  We haven’t reached our final form yet.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Jokic took a knee to a knee last night.  Big man was in a lot of pain.

I was watching, and winced on my couch when they showed the replay.  Gobert looks like one of those guys with a metal skeleton too.  (If you’ve played basketball and collided with tall skinny guys that seem to weigh a lot more than they should, you know what I mean.)  

19 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

That's what ruined John Wall's career.  Game ten of the 2018-2019 season vs the Mavericks.  It has taken four years for us to pull up from the tailspin that started that night.

Wall had bad knees before that.  played through (tendonitis) his whole pro career and at one point brushed off the idea of resting because of it during an interview.  It was his normal.  

“I’m not worried about it at all,” Wall said. “I’ve dealt with tendinitis my whole career so you just play through it. . . . There’s no excuse for me not to play.”

That was from an interview he did in 2014

coupled with his weight issues, those knees were a bomb waiting to go off.  

14 hours ago, Chachie said:

I'm rehashing my takes on Otto back in his 2nd year. Porter did get a lot better in year 3 but has never turned into an impact NBA player...

I see Deni as being very much like the early Otto. If you're a special player, it shows right away. Not every night but we'd see certain plays or certain games where the NBA talent is immediately apparent. Deni's not showing me anything at all that tells me there's a future impact guy. I know he's got 79 more games to improve but on our current roster Wes can't afford to give Avdija the minutes to grow like that... and I'm not sure I'm seeing a player that would grow if he DID get those minutes.

One thing about Porter, I dont ever recall him playing scared or timid........Deni will drive to the basket against one defender and instead of shooting it, he'll jump and pass the ball to a team mate who's being defended. Take the shot, if you miss you miss. 

But to his credit, Deni looked noticeably more aggressive on offense tonight. He must've read my post the other night or coach spoke to him. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, LetMeSeeYourWarFace21 said:

One thing about Porter, I dont ever recall him playing scared or timid........Deni will drive to the basket against one defender and instead of shooting it, he'll jump and pass the ball to a team mate who's being defended. Take the shot, if you miss you miss. 

But to his credit, Deni looked noticeably more aggressive on offense tonight. He must've read my post the other night or coach spoke to him. 

You’re memory is playing tricks on you in regards to Otto.  Porter was a master at snagging important rebounds late in games, but that dude refused to dribble.  Flat out refused.  In the 4th he’d vanish entirely on the offensive end.  Some of that was Brad and Wall freezing him out, but he’d pass on shots too.  Otto played as safely as humanly possible without showing up in a helmet.  

I agree with you on Deni.  He’s clearly uncomfortable out there with the ball in his hands.  He has all the tools to have a long nba career if he finds a way to play with more aggression.  He’s never going to be a star player though.  His ceiling is a competent role player, and he’s far below it right now.  The weird thing is that his defense and shooting were the question marks on draft day.  He was supposed to be a play maker with the ball in his hands.  Im seeing exactly none of that.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Destino said:

Beal has started this season ice cold.  Three games played and he hasn’t shot 40% or better from the field in any of them.  His three ball is so much worse, 4-25 (.160) on the year.  

The good news is we know he’s going to be so much better.  He’s never been great in clutch moments, but scoring is something he has proven he can do.  Wizards will be getting an additional 10ppg game soon, with no additional shots taken.  

… and they’ll get Rui and Bryant back.  We haven’t reached our final form yet.

3-1 start despite Beal playing like ****.  I’ll take it.

• Like 3

Beal looked hurt to me last night.  He just wasn't moving smoothly at all, especially by the fourth.  Of course I watched him take some hard falls too.  That said, he was absolutely playing D, and our team D looked far improved from the other night (I know that is a low bar).  

• BRAVEONAWARPATH changed the title to The Official Washington Wizards Thread: The Unseld Jr Era