Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

1 minute ago, TryTheBeal! said:

I normally go to 3-4 Wiz games a year and, coming from Richmond, it's always kinda expensive and a special occasion of sorts.  After a good look at this offseason and these comments from Ted, I'm fairly close to going into full "boycott mode".

after Ernie wasnt fired last yer, I chose this route as well. IM sick of this franchise.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

after Ernie wasnt fired last yer, I chose this route as well. IM sick of this franchise.

I'll check the box scores. But I'm not watching any of Ted's teams this year. It would be nice if they started breaking records for low turnout. Really noticeable on TV. 

#ThePlan

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gamebreaker said:

It's obvious to me now why firing Ernie would solve nothing. The idiot who has kept Ernie employed all of this will still be here, and he'll just hire someone else inept to give over a decade to go absolutely nowhere. 

We said the same about Snyder but he eventually found a decent GM. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gamebreaker said:

It's obvious to me now why firing Ernie would solve nothing. The idiot who has kept Ernie employed all of this will still be here, and he'll just hire someone else inept to give over a decade to go absolutely nowhere. 

he will look to hire someone within. I mean it worked with the Capitals.

39 minutes ago, Destino said:

Snyder spat in our face. Lenosis spit at us from the roof of a building and then hides.

IDK if that made any sense but I think Leonsis is worse.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Destino said:

Snyder was almost forced into changing by a rabid fanbase who remembered a rich, successful history and refused to allow him to kill their franchise any further. Remember that last Zorn year? Games with a nearly empty stadium and chants for people to be fired after games. But Ted and the Wizards? Could you see Ted flying in the middle of the night to plead with a championship coach to save his team? I can't.

You got a franchise that has only won a title once(30+ years ago) and has never built up a big fanbase. You can pretty much say this city has never cared enough to have the kind of impact on a Wizards owner as they did on Snyder. 

Edited by Gamebreaker

Ernie is worse than Vinnie.  Leonsis is not worse than Snyder. 

That's my opinion.  They're opposites in a lot of ways, one is too patient and favors a forced positive tone that fans interpret as smug or disingenuous.  The other entirely impatient and harsh.

I gotta give the nod to Vinnie in that matchup. He was worse, imo.

11 minutes ago, Gamebreaker said:

Snyder was almost forced into changing by a rabid fanbase who remembered a rich, successful history and refused to allow him to kill their franchise any further. Remember that last Zorn year? Games with a nearly empty stadium and chants for people to be fired after games. But the Ted and the Wizards? Could you see Ted flying in the middle of the night to plead with a championship coach to save his team? I can't.

You got a franchise that has only won a title once(30+ years ago) and has never built up a big fanbase. You can pretty much say this city has never cared enough to have the kind of impact on a Wizards owner as they did on Snyder. 

Indeed.  I wouldnt mind a fan revolt against Ted and Ernie in the arena though.  Maybe a "sell the team" or "fire Ernie" chant during games.  Just open mockery for the hell of it.

22 minutes ago, Gamebreaker said:

Games with a nearly empty stadium and chants for people to be fired after games.

Chants during games. I was at those games. Those chants weren't just pockets, at points it was most of the stadium (not that most = a lot, at that point)

They actually banned signs at one point.

For nostalgia purposes:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2009/10/signs_banned_at_fedex_field.html

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2009/10/inside_the_owners_box.html

"At the end of the first half, Snyder was not where he normally sits for the entire two-minute drill," Kornheiser said. "And I don't know where he was, because he was in front of me. And I chatted with him at great length, and gave him all my opinions as to what should happen, including that Theismann should be the coach. And it is my opinion, and I'll stay with that until I'm proven wrong, and I'm never gonna be proven wrong because it's not gonna happen.

"But at the end of the half, there began a chant--Sell The Team. Sell The Team. Sell The Team.--that everybody in the box heard. The people in the box were stunned. I don't know that he heard it, because he wasn't there, but the people in the box were STUNNED. And I remember saying to him about two hours before the game, 'If you don't understand this, this is falling on you. ON YOU. Not anybody else, falling on you. And he said--and I will share this--he said 'I'm just so embarrassed for the fans, because I do think we have great fans.'

"And I said, 'Well, why don't you say that out loud somewhere?' And then we talked about what you could do or what you couldn't do, but I'm not an adviser to the team."

I don't know that wizards fans are going to do that. I think they're going to stick with their current tactic of just not going to the game or watching on TV.

(I say they, because while I like the wizards, I don't feel right lumping myself into people that actually are, were, or want to be emotionally attached to the team. i'm not on that level with the team)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Destino said:

Snyder is a million times more aggressive about winning then Ted is.  Snyder shot through every possible way of doing in a 16 year period like he had a shotgun in his hands.  I don't know what Ted is thinking in terms of how desperately he wants his teams to win, but all three of his teams can't get passed the first round with any consistency, and he seems way too cool about it.  I'm insulted that he's saying we aren't patient with the plan, its all part of the plan.  If the plan is mediocrity, he's nailing it, 5 stars.

• Like 2

Leonsis is a billion times worse than Snyder. Say what you will about Dan, but he always gave a damn, and always put his best effort forward to better the team. It just so happened that his way of doing it was just making things worse. But you could never say he didnt try. Heck, he gave Haynesworth 100 mil to fix the dl. The man tried everything there was to try before hiring a guy to take over. Leonsis did nothing but screw everybody over. Which organization had the 2nd highest ticket price change? Well of course it was the Wizards. How else would he get his bills paid off? I guess he could get rid of halftime entertainment and mascots... oh wait...

I guarantee if Leonsis owned the skins, they would have changed their name to the Washington Monuments or some other lame pc name while relocating the team to a dome so he wouldnt have to pay for grass maintenance. He would have told us to believe in a plan or something and allowed Bruce Allen to continue as the GM. I dont even want to think about it.

Anyways, the rise of Sato has nothing to do with why Burke is cut from the rotation. He has been some serious butt. Thornton should be happy that there was another guy on the roster who is even worse than him.

• Like 3

Synder has a been tough to deal with but he is truly a fan of the Skins and that's why he bought the team.  He was arrogant, but mostly did things to help the Skins win games.  Leonsis just walked into the Wizards purchase in order to get economies of scale with the caps.  I don't feel like he has as much of a drive to win for the Wizards compared to the Caps.  He would have fired Ernie by now if he really cared about winning.