Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

4 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I'm not saying he should say, I'm just saying he shouldn't of taken the ****ing jersey!!  It looks bad, really, it does.  I didn't like the quote, I didn't like the jersey, and its killing me seeing Wall in a Dallas jersey at a must-win game because I know that's what lead to it. We needed his support, not this BS.

You see DC sports players go to each games, especially in playoffs to show support.  That is painful, just brutal, honestly.

I swear you Wiz fans are the worst in all of basketball.  John Wall owes you ****, nothing.  If Dallas is his team before he got drafted to Washington, then so be it.  He can't choose what team to play for as far as the draft goes.  And you shouldn't expect him to be a DC sports fan just because he plays for the Wiz.  

Doing so is childish and stupid imo.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

I swear you Wiz fans are the worst in all of basketball.  John Wall owes you ****, nothing.  If Dallas is his team before he got drafted to Washington, then so be it.  He can't choose what team to play for as far as the draft goes.  And you shouldn't expect him to be a DC sports fan just because he plays for the Wiz.  

Doing so is childish and stupid imo.  

Get mad at me if you want, but not that game.  Not that ****ing game, then talking about DC fans not supporting him and Wizards.

9 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

how did he know he would get a spurs jersey?  he didn't show it off. the media took a picture and people know. 

I don't expect to "win" this one, but I didn't like the whole thing.  This looks like showing it off, and I'm not sure if I'm in the minority here, but it bothered the hell of me when I saw it, and I know where that itch was going from.

kirkblog.jpg

Check out the Tweet by the Wizards in this article:

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/26803/he-likes-that-san-antonio-spurs-send-kirk-cousins-a-jersey

Edited by Renegade7

Just now, Renegade7 said:

Get mad at me if you want, but not that game.  Not that ****ing game, then talking about DC fans not supporting him and Wizards.

I'm not mad at you, you sound like a child complaining about stupid crap like that.  You expect a grown ass man to just stop pulling for his childhood teams because he got drafted by Washington?  Please.  

What game are you talking about?  I'm not a Wizards fan and I never said DC fans don't support him and the Wizards.  But ****ing about what teams your players pull for is silly.  People have roots and ties to other teams, even players.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

I'm not mad at you, you sound like a child complaining about stupid crap like that.  You expect a grown ass man to just stop pulling for his childhood teams because he got drafted by Washington?  Please.  

What game are you talking about?  I'm not a Wizards fan and I never said DC fans don't support him and the Wizards.  But ****ing about what teams your players pull for is silly.  People have roots and ties to other teams, even players.

Wall said that, and I'm talking about wearing a Cowboys jersey on their sideline in a game we must in. If he went to Dallas during some random game and did that, wouldn't bother me.  Say we are against the Cowboys in the playoffs at home, would you still feel the same way if he was on their sideline supporting the Cowboys against us?  I know you roll with Hornets, so still asking that as outside looking in.

Again, I'm not saying he can't be a Cowboys fan or even go to their games.  I just do believe there's a time and place for that, especially if you want support from the other DC teams and their fans.  Terrible timing.

Edited by Renegade7

Just now, Renegade7 said:

Wall said that, and I'm talking about wearing a Cowboys jersey on their sideline in a game we must in. If he went to Dallas during some random game and did that, wouldn't bother me.  Say we are against the Cowboys in the playoffs at home, would you still feel the same way if he was on their sideline supporting the Cowboys against us?

Again, I'm not saying he can't be a Cowboys fan or even go to their games.  I just do believe there's a time and place for that, especially if you want support from the other DC teams and their fans.  Terrible timing.

So John Wall is not allowed to go to a game in DC and watch his favorite team play or wear their jersey?  Seriously, your a cool guy, just get over man.  I could care less about who some player pulls for.  

Expecting too much, and just as silly as all the KD owing DC something in the off-season.   

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

So John Wall is not allowed to go to a game in DC and watch his favorite team play or wear their jersey?  Seriously, your a cool guy, just get over man.  I could care less about who some player pulls for.  

Expecting too much, and just as silly as all the KD owing DC something in the off-season.   

I'll let it go, on stand that I never said he can't go to the game.  I don't like what he did (being on their sideline in a cowboys jersey in must win game for Redskins), and felt he wouldn't of done it if Kirk didn't take that Spurs jersey and take a picture with it.  It looks very tit for tat.

I don't think Durant owed us anything, but caught his quote about OKC really raising him.  Didn't forget that, he's from DC area, but he's in no rush to help his hometown team win anything over what he feels is best for himself.  Disappointed, but it is what it is.

Edited by Renegade7

It wasn't smart.  DC fans are fickle, especially when it comes to a regular loser like the Wizards, and they will turn on him in a heartbeat.  Stuff like this is going to get dragged out when he slumps.  Could have avoided any drama by just going to the game and not wearing a jersey.

I don't think John cares if he pissed Redskins fans off though.  He speaks his mind whenever he wants.

Wouldn't be surprised if John was already planning to jump ship and meet up with DeMarcus Cousins and Paul George in 2018, so he doesn't care about burning bridges here.

• Like 1

It's funny, really. In DC, players who show appreciation to the community, fans, and local sports teams are beloved. ( see Cooley, Ovi, Caron Butler). Conversely, it's ok if you are a fan of another team. ( see Brad Beal). But you can't go and wear the rival team colors at home in front of your city's fans ( because let's face it, there aren't really any wizards fans anywhere else), but then complain about not having billboards promoting your 40 year loser franchise, or that there are bandwagon fans showing up to home games as you do it as well. DC is still, and probably will always be a Redskins town. If you want the community behind you, perhaps appealing to that demographic would be the most beneficial. 

I swear that in 30 years I've never cared less about the Bullets/Wizards then I do right now. And given all the bull**** I've seen in that time (I think Tracy Murray dropping 50 might honestly be a top 3 Bullets/Wiz memory for me in my adolescent years--think about that) that's really, truly saying something. Nothing surprises me anymore. Nothing disappoints me. It just what it is. A permanent state of dysfunction and suck. Whatever. Props to you all for still finding the time and energy to care about something like this. I can't do it.

I normally wouldn't care about this, because its his right to cheer for any team he pleases, but this is a REALLY bad look for him.  I say that, because he was the one complaining about the fans this past season when the Verizon Center was filled with mostly opposing fans when the Lakers, Celtics, Knicks, etc came to town.  He's the one who brought it up on the Wizards end, crying about fan support, so why would he show up to a Cowboys-Redskins game wearing an Emmitt Smith jersey yesterday?  It just doesn't make sense, and it says a lot about the lack of awareness of his comments.  He shouldn't be surprised that he's catching heat for that this morning.  It's not just him, according to Al Galdi from 980, other Wizards players were showing support to the Cowboys during the game yesterday on Twitter like Bradley Beal & Markieef Morris.  Just a bad look all around.

Edited by samy316

Pro athletes have the right to root for anybody they want. 

It shows no awareness from Wall whose shoes aren't hot in DC and I bet they aren't hot in Dallas. 

Even if he didn't mean it. It comes off as a taunt to fans from a player on the 4th most popular team in town. So, when even though it's unrelated, if he talks about needing fan support. Folks will mention this. 

When Redskins players go to Caps or a Nats games, if they are wearing a jersey. It's the home team. The whole DL had custom Nats jerseys last year I think. 

Again, root for your team. But be aware that people read in to what you're wearing. 

10 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

Yall know Grunfeld is going to use this as ammo when he makes Wall his next scapegoat right?

During the Beal and Wall drama the thought that another scapegoating was being set up crossed my mind.  The new coach has a long guaranteed big money deal.  Beal just signed a contract that makes it virtually impossible to trade him.  If he thinks Wall is going to leave anyway, Grunfeld is plenty capable of orchestrating some drama culminating in a trade to avoid looking like he let a star walk.  

I sincerely hope that you all arent insinuating that our loser GM somehow convinced his star player to make a fool of himself in front of his fan base in some sort of masterplan level scapegoating. This is on John for not having the foresight and wherewithal to see the ramifications of wearing a cowboys jersey to a redskins home game. The only person that can (barely) get away with that type of nonsense is Lebron, and he backs it up with trophies.

John can be a fan of any team he chooses. But you cant go an do that, and be upset about lethargic bandwagon fans and lack of merchandise sales / shoe deals. People tend to care more about you when they know you care about them. Conversely, people tend to give much less of a **** about you when its obvious you dont care either. Ovi would be destroyed for showing up to a Wizards home game against the Cavs with a Lebron throwback on, why is this any different. This is the same type of entitled garbage that caused the uproar over KD. Anyways, Im not going to get into another argument over that nonsense. John's the star of the team, and that brings higher expectations.

1 minute ago, Skin'emAlive said:

I sincerely hope that you all arent insinuating that our loser GM somehow convinced his star player to make a fool of himself in front of his fan base in some sort of masterplan level scapegoating. This is on John for not having the foresight and wherewithal to see the ramifications of wearing a cowboys jersey to a redskins home game. The only person that can (barely) get away with that type of nonsense is Lebron, and he backs it up with trophies.

John can be a fan of any team he chooses. But you cant go an do that, and be upset about lethargic bandwagon fans and lack of merchandise sales / shoe deals. People tend to care more about you when they know you care about them. Conversely, people tend to give much less of a **** about you when its obvious you dont care either. Ovi would be destroyed for showing up to a Wizards home game against the Cavs with a Lebron throwback on, why is this any different. This is the same type of entitled garbage that caused the uproar over KD. Anyways, Im not going to get into another argument over that nonsense. John's the star of the team, and that brings higher expectations.

So you expect players that are signed in DC and are fans of other teams not related to their sport, to immediately stop supporting their teams while they are under contract and playing in that area/market.  That is the most ridiculous logic I've heard.  Him being a Cowboy's fan and wearing an Emmit Smith jersey to a Redskins home game means nothing.  

I personally think a lot of y'all are making a bigger deal out of this than it is.  It's a completely different sport.  As long as he suits up and balls out during the NBA season, y'all should care less.  Why should he hide who he pulls for?  Because local DC fans might get upset?  Plenty of players support their former home team or favorite teams in other sports.

Seth Curry, he is an avid Panthers fan.  He lives in and plays for GS, granted the Panthers are not rivals of the 49ers/Chargers/Raiders/Rams, but if they were, who really cares?  Wall was having fun with it, everyone else should too.  Some take sports way too seriously (and this is coming from someone who thinks they take things too seriously).

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

So you expect players that are signed in DC and are fans of other teams not related to their sport, to immediately stop supporting their teams while they are under contract and playing in that area/market. 

You didnt read a single thing I wrote. But please do go on...

John can be a fan of any team he chooses. But you cant go an do that, and be upset about lethargic bandwagon fans and lack of merchandise sales / shoe deals.

23 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Grunfeld is a survivalist, but he isn't that calculating.  If he had that kind of foresight, we wouldn't be in the perpetual mess as a team.  I am saying that he will use this non-story as ammo when Wall decides he's had enough of this bull**** franchise.

18 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

You didnt read a single thing I wrote. But please do go on...

I read what you posted.  He was upset about Wizard fans not supporting the team correct?  That is his sport, his job and from what I gather from the collective in here (since I live in Charlotte and not the DMV) is that he is absolutely right about the fan support for the Wizards.  

It's apples to oranges imo.  Him complaining about the lack of support for Wizards basketball and him wearing a Cowboys jersey to a Redskins game should be unrelated.  I seriously doubt it is going to spark less attendance at Wizards games.  That would be one of the weakest excuses to not go out and support the Wizards.  

If I asked someone why they didn't go to the Wizards basketball games anymore and they replied, "Because John Wall wore an Emmitt Smith jersey to a Redskins/Dallas game.  Can you believe that?  He's a damn Cowboys fan and he crossed the line.  I'm not supporting him."  I think I might die from laughter.

People aren't going to support the Wizards until they improve the product.  It's like that most places/cities.  It's definitely like that in Charlotte for the Panthers until lately, but they have made the playoffs the last three seasons and the Super Bowl, but back in the day, zero support when losing.  People couldn't give away tickets to games.  

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro
  • Like 1