Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

19 hours ago, grego said:

overpaid, under delivering player for a perennial loser team, sporting the jersey of one of the most valuable yet under performing perennial loser franchises in the world.

seems like a perfect fit,.

Wall has delivered his part. The fact that he has dragged this sorry ass franchise to two playoff series wins is an incredible achievement when the pieces around him have been acquired by Ernie ****ing Grunfeld

41 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

Wall has delivered his part. The fact that he has dragged this sorry ass franchise to two playoff series wins is an incredible achievement when the pieces around him have been acquired by Ernie ****ing Grunfeld

Don't necessarily disagree. Grunfeld is awful. 

3 hours ago, grego said:

Kind of, ya

(I think we tend to overrate our own) 

Wall is both underpaid and underrated and this team is a playoff team solely because of him.  Beal is pretty much the only guy on the team who is overpaid.

When scrubs like Harrison Barnes make 30% more than Wall does, then it's clear he's massively underpaid.  But that's the downside (for the players) of long term guaranteed contracts.

• Like 1

It does seem like we lost Wall this past season and offseason.  The seeds were sewn the minute they gave the HC job to Randy long term (without even conducting a search) .  A truly competitive franchise would have never settled for making that move.  Being stunted by Randy ****ed up Wall's whole career trajectory here.  He got stuck on underachieving/anonymous teams, frozen out of Team USA, and wasn't able to build on the Q rating momentum of a breakout 2014 where he became a star and won the dunk contest and a playoff series.

Wall is a star and wants to live like one and play in front of appreciative crowds and have access to a big fan base.  Same reason Horford ultimately turned us down.  Meanwhile DeMarcus Cousins is also deeply unhappy in Sacramento and waiting for his contract to end so he can bolt.  There is zero chance that he and Wall haven't made plans of joining up somewhere in the summer of 2018.  Paul George is also a FA that summer, and he's also their buddy, as well as an LA native.  And the Lakers have quite a few young and appealing trade chips.  If they clear a bunch of cap for that summer, I could absolutely see them ending up with two or even all three of them.

Wall's got one foot out the door and I think the only way we'll get him to stay is if he and Beal actually find a way to thrive together and Beal makes the leap to being a legit All Star and the team surprises us and wins 50+ the next two seasons.  I'm no longer optimistic about that happening.  Our issues seem structural and it seems like Wall and Beal have a crappy relationship.

If/when Wall leaves, the franchise will collapse.  We'll be built around Beal, who is giving off alarming Juwan Howard 2.0 vibes.  To stave that off, if this season turns to **** like last one, we need to trade Wall.  A deal with the Lakers makes sense for both sides.

33 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

I don't trust Sato's sincerity here. He's playing a longer game here. He will kill Wall with kindness until he "accidentally" drops an ice block on his foot to claim the starter's role.

I still need to see the 6'7 euro stay in front of an NBA point guard in a real game to believe it.  Maybe he decides he's better off at shooting guard.

Pretty crazy offseason we've just gone through.  It'll be a relief when the season is finally here.  The bad things that happened:

1 - No consideration from Durant, who eventually joined up with a super team to make them utterly unbeatable

2 - Missing out on Horford

3 - Wall gets surgery on both legs

4 - Forced to pay Beal a max deal that is a huge gamble

5 - Story breaks about conflict between Wall and Beal.

6 - Wall's actions indicate discontentment with the franchise

Of all of those things, #6 is easily the worst.  It's what has me depressed about our future.  If we've lost Wall, then we've lost everything.

That said, I can't give up hope on keeping Wall in 2018, simply because if I do, then there is not a lot of point in following the team any more.  Even if I don't expect it, I have to hope that the team will figure out a way to keep Wall.  But as we saw with Durant, being a serious title contender isn't even enough to convince your stars to stay.  So... yeah.  I think you have to start planning to sign or bring in DeMarcus Cousins.  Start immediately.  I think pitching Wall on a super team type scenario built around him and Cousins is going to be our only hope.  Hopefully this impressive new practice facility helps too.

All that said, there were some positive developments that I'm legitimately happy about.

1 - I like the Scott Brooks hire

2 - I love that we finally got Sato and am optimistic about his future

3 - I like Ian Mahinmi when I look at signing him in a vacuum.  He's disappointing compared to signing Durant or Horford no doubt.  But he's actually a nice player and I'm looking forward to watching his game.  Watching soft ass interior defense makes my blood pressure rise.  He's a welcome change.

• Like 3

#7: Barring a trade or two, spending on this free agency class, effectively removes us from next years free agency class.

I think I would like the Mahinmi signing more if he were capable of playing with Gortat.  Brooks might try to force the pairing at some point, but offensively its a disaster waiting to happen.

Edited by StillUnknown

Steve, you hit the nail on the head.  This team needs to do whatever it takes to appease wall.  The plan has to start right now, whether it's by trade or FA route, to figure out a way to bring in Demarcus Cousins. 

On paper, this is at best, a 48...MAYBE 50 win team.  Not nearly enough to keep Wall in town past 2018. 

I don't like Ian Mahinmi's contract at all.  The more I think about it the less I like it.  We've still got a team featuring a single starter anyone really trusts to dribble the ball and we're paying the back up center 16 million a year?  That's a massive front office failure IMO.  The backup center should be a relatively cheap vet or a rookie contract being groomed.  Instead we've signed a career backup (he's averaged 20+ minutes once in 8 seasons) to starter sized contract. 

I'm assuming that means Gortat may be moved before the all star break.  It makes exactly no sense otherwise with three seasons remaining (including this season) on Gortat's deal.  

oh... and he's an awful free throw shooter, added to a team that collectively can't hit a damn free throw.

12 hours ago, Gamebreaker said:

I'm gonna be shocked if Beal plays more than half the games this season. 

Even if he's available for more than half the season, will he start more than 41 games?  Remember last season they had him coming off the bench, minutes restriction was the story.  Now we have reason to suspect it was also because the team was desperate and he couldn't coexist with Wall.  

How did a team that was so easy to love two season ago turn into this mess?