Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

3 hours ago, Destino said:

How did a team that was so easy to love two season ago turn into this mess?  

Three things happened:

1. They resigned Randy Wittman and Ernie Grunfiel: twice.

2. Missed playoffs in a year projected to be a deep run following an inexplicable offensive philosophy change that resulted in Nene on the bench and Humphries shooting 3's.

3. The two year plan to bring a star free agent into DC ended without a single interview and half the free cap space went towards a center that can't share the floor with Gortat. 

Just now, stevemcqueen1 said:

I think our only chance is to pitch him on creating a super team here with DeMarcus Cousins.

I disagree.  Wall wants buzz and attention.  Ted needs to give him that.  Billboards, banners, get him invited to fancy parties with celebs only billionaires can easily access.  Make some headlines for the team and feature Wall prominently and exclusively.  I don't get the impression with away that it's all about winning and losing, it's more about business.  Didn't he just lose his shoe deal?  That stuff isn't small, it means he lost a lot of money.  

What Ted should have done is hired a respected GM and system coach that gets a Wall and Beal open looks by design, instead of purely individual effort.  Get those right and suddenly people talk about your team.  He failed, but he can still do the other stuff I mentioned that it think a Wall would appreciate.  

• Like 1

In this town, you win and your in. Gil had DC eating out of his palm. So did Cousins. Hell, it had half this board praising "playoff Randy." But dont waste your breath on hoping Ted puts any more effort in this. It took him 5 years to just get a practice facility. And thats after years of playoff profits, entertainment cuts, and ticket price hikes. We still have the same GM working on his 3rd rebuild, still lack a D-League team in a market thriving with potential, and are still named Wizard's after 5 years of phasing out the name as much as possible and making bank on Bullets gear in the phonebooth. Think about this: Ted bought/created an arena football team before a D-League affiliate.

I bought in to "playoff Randy."  He was fantastic for those two seasons.  If both Wall/Beal were healthy vs. the Hawks, we'd been in the ECF.  I have ZERO doubts about that. 

That being said, I'm eager to see how much Scott Brooks has grown as a coach in his time away from the game.  If there's anyone who can not only get the best out of his PG AND develop young(er) talent, it's him.  Brooks is the main reason why I predicted that Kelly Oubre would be in the running for MIP. 

On paper, I think they're a 7/8 seed...it remains to be see how well they'll gel and respond to the coaching.  I wouldn't be shocked if this team wins 45 games...or if they win 52+. 

2 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Usually we have to wait until Xmas time to see this level of pessimism in the fanbase.

It's definately a weird negative vibe.  I think most people believe the team will better and make the playoffs, but it's kind of a joyless acknowledgement more than the usual fan excitement.

Some of the optimism has been replaced with dread.  

21 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I believe some people in here are so resigned to Wall leaving that there's no way to be happy about anything Wizards related.  Can we all agree to just cross that bridge when we get there?

personally I won't be happy until Grunfeld commits seppuku at center court

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RonArtest15 said:

I bought in to "playoff Randy."  He was fantastic for those two seasons.

He was great for those two playoff runs. He was beyond terrible during those regular seasons and was solely responsible for Otto taking 3 years to be a consistent contributor among many other gaffs and mistakes that I just dont feel like rehashing.

I was resigned to Wall leaving the second we resigned Randy and hedged our bets at stretch 4 with a guy who had taken all of 3 perimeter shots in over a decade of professional basketball. The only two good moves this team has made in the past few years imo has been signing Jarell Eddie off the D League team last year, and trading for Morris.

3 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

personally I won't be happy until Grunfeld commits seppuku at center court

Too honorable an exit.  I want him literally chased out of town by a mob of enraged fans after someone discovers skinny Ted is an imposter and the real owner has been locked in Grunfeld's basement all this time. 

5 hours ago, Destino said:

It's definately a weird negative vibe.  I think most people believe the team will better and make the playoffs, but it's kind of a joyless acknowledgement more than the usual fan excitement.

Some of the optimism has been replaced with dread.  

That article about conflict between Wall and Beal killed the optimism for this season.  J Michael is a shill, you know he would be putting the best possible face on the situation if there was one to be had.

If Wall and Beal can't find a way to coexist then our construction is doomed, plain and simple.

Wall's behavior this offseason has also been troubling.  The criticism of Otto.  The tweets about needing to make a move.  Suggestions of trading for Cousins.  Public conflict with Beal.  The gripes about money.  The complaints about the fans in the Verizon Center.  Taken together, it paints a picture of discontentment.  And that should chill the blood of every Wizards fan.

And it also doesn't help that Wall is coming off surgery on both knees and is going to be out of shape and play poorly to start the season.  Which means the team will probably have a bad start.  This fan base needs a good start.

While Brooks may not be a great tactical in game coach, I do believe he was instrumental in the development of the young players in OKC. That gives me home since we do have some young talent that still hasn't matured yet. Hell even Wall can be even better IMO.