Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

RealGM Wizards forum is a hellscape now.  It's broken.  Go there and you will see that everyone on the team is terrible.  The grass is greener for every other team in the league.  The devil you don't know is the only thing worth being even minimally positive about.

Say Beal breaks out and the team wins 50 games this season, it would make the fans there angry because they'd view is as the team being good out of spite.

• Like 1

No one knows what to expect from this team.  I don't think they'll win less than 40, but beyond that, there are way too many unknowns to figure them out going into the year:

- How much of a positive effect will Brooks have?

- How good can Sato and Oubre be for us this season?  Can they match or better the contributions of Dudley and Temple?

- What is Trey Burke going to give us?  Will he be able to replace Sessions?

- How much have Otto and Beal improved?  How many games will Beal play?

- How long will it take Wall to get back to his old self?

- Is Keef going to stay out of trouble?

The only parts of the team I feel confident in projecting are Gortat and Mahinmi.  I think they'll be their usual selves and give us about 14-15 win shares between them.  And if Morris does stay out of trouble, he should give us four.  He knows how to play now.  I don't think Otto is going to backtrack, so minimum, he should mach his production from last year.  But he could pleasantly surprise us.  So there is enough stability in the front court and in the starting five that I don't think we'll be worse than we were last year.

• Like 1

Is it prediction time? Ok, Ill shoot.

1. We "rebound" and post a 45 win season with Wall carrying the team again.

2. Sato takes over the backup point spot early in the season.

3. Otto is his usual solid self, but the question whether or not he should be resigned is fought over every week following January. The issue is compounded when Oubre becomes wildly inconsistent.

4. Brad stays relatively healthy all year. But tensions rise when he begins to play a little too much hero ball instead of spot up perimeter fiend. He posts another 40+% perimeter shot year.

5. 2nd round playoff exit to Boston following an illegal Horford screen.

6. Morris proves to be our most balanced player and the drop off when he hits the bench is huge.

7. I complain about Eddie not getting minutes at the backup 2 and the FO not attempting to move Marcin and/or go after Whiteside.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

RealGM Wizards forum is a hellscape now.  It's broken.  Go there and you will see that everyone on the team is terrible.  The grass is greener for every other team in the league.  The devil you don't know is the only thing worth being even minimally positive about.

Say Beal breaks out and the team wins 50 games this season, it would make the fans there angry because they'd view is as the team being good out of spite.

a decade of Grunfeld will do that to you

i've had those kind of feeling to be honest. My mind will say "if everything breaks right, we could win 48-50."

Then the other part of my mind reminds me that will lead to a lifetime extension for Grunfeld and I get sad.

3 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Life is too short to spend it worrying about Ernie Grunfeld though.  If we're good enough to win 50, that's a positive to me.  I am so damn tired of watching crap basketball almost every year.  I'll settle for watching good basketball no matter what the larger context.

Amen to that.  Wittman is gone!  Get fired up!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Embiid is a freak of nature.  He is the most physically gifted and coordinated big man in the league.  He just posted up and hit a hook over Gortat with his inside hand.  Literally just jumped up and reached over top of him like he was being checked by a guard.

If this kid stays healthy we're about three or four years away from him being the best player in basketball.  The battles he's going to have with KAT will be epic.

Jason Smith has a silky mid range jumper.

U my dude, Steve....but the hyperbole is strong here.

4 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

U my dude, Steve....but the hyperbole is strong here.

who is more physically gifted and coordinated than him?

Porzingis got the coordination, but he is not the freak athlete Embiid is.

Its not Towns and dont say Cousins.

Remember, Embiid is 7'3" yet has Dwight Howard shoulders.

Edited by BenningRoadSkin

6 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

who is more physically gifted and coordinated than him?

Porzingis got the coordination, but he is not the freak athlete Embiid is.

Its not Towns and dont say Cousins.

Remember, Embiid is 7'3" yet has Dwight Howard shoulders.

Where are you getting that Embiid is 7'3"? 

Towns is going to be the most versatile (if he's not already there) big in the NBA.  Cousins can handle the ball like a guard and has sneaky athleticism.  Also, depending on how you categorize him, Anthony Davis is in the discussion. 

*edit*

If you guys are talking the eyeball test, then yea...Embiid is probably the first guy you want getting off the bus for a road game.  But in football terms, so was Taylor Mays. 

Edited by RonArtest15

4 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

Where are you getting that Embiid is 7'3"? 

Towns is going to be the most versatile (if he's not already there) big in the NBA.  Cousins can handle the ball like a guard and has sneaky athleticism.  Also, depending on how you categorize him, Anthony Davis is in the discussion. 

*edit*

If you guys are talking the eyeball test, then yea...Embiid is probably the first guy you want getting off the bus for a road game.  But in football terms, so was Taylor Mays. 

Embiid is either 7'2" or 7'3" now. He has grown since college.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/09/joel-embiid-76ers-media-day-quotes-process-nba

And I didnt ask you who most versatile, I said coordinated. Embiid is 7'3" ( or 7'2") and moves like he is KAT's height. At Kansas, just like KAT at Kentucky, he was told to play in the paint more even though he has an outside game.

Anthony Davis is the only one I think matches him, but Embiid is 7'3" (or 7'2") doing this.

8 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Embiid is either 7'2" or 7'3" now. He has grown since college.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/09/joel-embiid-76ers-media-day-quotes-process-nba

And I didnt ask you who most versatile, I said coordinated. Embiid is 7'3" ( or 7'2") and moves like he is KAT's height. At Kansas, just like KAT at Kentucky, he was told to play in the paint more even though he has an outside game.

Anthony Davis is the only one I think matches him, but Embiid is 7'3" (or 7'2") doing this.

With that versatility, comes coordination.  And also, how do you gauge that?  If you're a skilled big, and that can be someone with the body type of Marc Gasol, you're coordinated.  Is it because he can dunk after putting the ball between his legs?  I just don't know how this is quantified...LOL. 

Embiid hasn't played a minute of regular season action, and the hyperbole is out of control. 

2 hours ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Is it prediction time? Ok, Ill shoot.

1. We "rebound" and post a 45 win season with Wall carrying the team again.

2. Sato takes over the backup point spot early in the season.

3. Otto is his usual solid self, but the question whether or not he should be resigned is fought over every week following January. The issue is compounded when Oubre becomes wildly inconsistent.

4. Brad stays relatively healthy all year. But tensions rise when he begins to play a little too much hero ball instead of spot up perimeter fiend. He posts another 40+% perimeter shot year.

5. 2nd round playoff exit to Boston following an illegal Horford screen.

6. Morris proves to be our most balanced player and the drop off when he hits the bench is huge.

7. I complain about Eddie not getting minutes at the backup 2 and the FO not attempting to move Marcin and/or go after Whiteside.

Who are y'all beating round one?