Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

17 minutes ago, Destino said:

Mahinmi, Gortat, Morris, and Smith are costing the Wizards 41 million a year for the next three year at least. 

True.  I was looking down the line though.  What happens when the contracts of Morris and Gortat are up and that money gets committed to Otto, Oubre, and Sato?

32 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

True.  I was looking down the line though.  What happens when the contracts of Morris and Gortat are up and that money gets committed to Otto, Oubre, and Sato?

I don't know if that's worth worrying about.  Ourbe, Sato, Morris, and Gortat all expire at after the 2018-19 season.  The only players of note that expire before Gortat and Morris are Otto and Trey Burke. http://www.spotrac.com/nba/washington-wizards/yearly/cap/

If we were a decent franchise I'd say that between now and our bigs expiring we're sure to have drafted at least one young center to groom which would eliminate the need for one large contract.  Sadly Grunfeld is spending so much on a back up center, precisely because he's been entirely unable to draft PF/Cs. 

The only immediate question is can the team afford to resign Otto next season.  I don't know if they can or if they'll want to.  I'm assuming his play this season will go a long way towards determining that. 

Yeah I have absolutely no feel for how much Otto is going to cost this summer.  I think it could be anywhere from a bargain hometown deal to a near max depending on how he plays this year.  Harrison Barnes has blown up the precedent contracts for wings like Otto.

I think you also have to wonder a little about Otto's future role here given he's got Oubre breathing down his neck.  I think the best solution is for Otto to prove he can play a fair amount of stretch four.  Wall + Beal + Oubre + Otto is a line up that Brooks needs to figure out how to get on the court.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Unless Oubre develops a go to move on the offensive end, he's not starting over Otto. Porter has lethal mid range game all day, every day, and is the second best perimeter shooter on the team. Oubre is still barreling in to the basket elbows first. 

There is no doubt that Otto is a smarter and much more skilled player than Kelly.  Nevertheless, Kelly is better than Otto was at 20 years old.  Otto is just not as tough or assertive and competitive as Kelly is.  I think John's criticism about how Otto was complaining about being worn out a couple weeks into th season by having to defend Durant, LeBron and Melo in a short span were telling.  Otto doesn't have the hunger to be great that Kelly does.

Otto is super smart and selfless and doesn't have an ego.  He's a championship caliber role player IMO and he can thrive as a fifth option despite the fact he's got the most advanced mid range game on the team by a country mile.  He is not going to buck on the team if they don't feed him.  You NEED guys like him to fill in the cracks and form a functional locker room.  He's like Shane Battier.

http://bkref.com/tiny/mqL6Y

Kelly can be a Jimmy Butler.  When the skill and experience catches up to the aggression, he is going to be an All Star caliber wing that fills it up on offense and plays lock down on-ball defense.

It's going to be tough to justify playing Shane Battier over Jimmy Butler.

I'm not arguing for letting Otto walk though.  I want us to keep him.  It's clear high quality FAs don't really want to sign here, so keeping our own drafted talent is our only chance at fielding a good rotation.  But we're going to need to get creative to get our five best players on the court once Kelly comes into his own.  I could see a situation where Otto becomes a sixth man down the road.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TryTheBeal! said:

If our perennial Wiz Curse this year is a 5 week meniscus for a back-up big, I can only take that as an encouraging development.

Or it could be the curse just getting started this season.

I didn't even realize Mahinmi got hurt.  This is a bummer.  But at least it happened at our deepest position.

4 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

There is no doubt that Otto is a smarter and much more skilled player than Kelly.  Nevertheless, Kelly is better than Otto was at 20 years old. 

Kelly can be a Jimmy Butler.  When the skill and experience catches up to the aggression, he is going to be an All Star caliber wing that fills it up on offense and plays lock down on-ball defense.

It's going to be tough to justify playing Shane Battier over Jimmy Butler.

I couldn't disagree with this more. First off, Otto was busy getting the randy Wittman special his first 2 years. Hard to say a guy who was a unanimous top 3 lottery pick being less developed than a mid rounder, especially with " developed game" being his calling card. 

Secondly, in what way do you see him being all star caliber. Not a chance. He has no offensive moves. It's just charge towards the basket and throw it up. It won't work against decent interior defenders. Beal is not even all star caliber, but Oubre is going to be?

lastly... Battier won two championships. His skills are absolutely necessary on championship teams. Butler and his game will never win one. 

Jason Smith was out with an abdominal injury.  That left a lot of minutes for O'Bryant and Ochefu.  Brooks split them evenly.  He's trying to decide between them for the 15th spot.

Ware and House were DNPs again.  They're done.  Eddie was a DNP tonight as well.  I still think he'll probably get the 14th roster spot, but I do think there is a chance that Brooks will keep both Ochefu and O'Bryant and cut Eddie, especially since Mahinmi got injured.

If it were me, I think i'd keep Ochefu and O'Bryant over Eddie.  We're thin at SF, but I think Ochefu and O'Bryant are better than Eddie.  They demonstrate more of an impact.  And wings are a dime a dozen compared to bigs.  I can play both Thornton and Sato at SF if necessary.

Really tough call to choose between O'Bryant and Ochefu.  I lean towards O'Bryant but I believe Ochefu has higher upside.

Came out strong in the second half.  The starters look really comfortable together and Oubre filled in for Otto well.

RA15 might be right that Kelly could take Otto's job at some point this season.  He gives so much effort on both ends of the court that it's going to be hard to keep him on the bench.

But instead of benching Otto, what I'd like to see is him split his time at PF and play in lineups with Oubre.  I'd also like to see Oubre get on the court at SG too as part of keeping Beal's minutes down.  He has the speed to guard smaller players.

Nicholson is good.  He stumped all of Cleveland's interior defenders with his exceptional creativity and below the rim game.  This guy is as smooth as it gets with the ball in his hands.  Slow as molasses, but that doesn't matter at all.  His touch on his FTs and long range jumper are really welcome after watching Nene launch flat line drives at the rim from the FT line the past couple years.  We have got to figure out a way to hide this dude on defense and get him on the court as much as we can.

Also liked Trey Burke's game.  He really put pressure on the defense with his speed and quickness.  He's a high motor player.  And he got after it on D.  The whole team did.  That was the difference between the first and second half.

• Like 4