Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Watching that KO highlight, I'm amazed at how bad he looks the moment he starts to dribble towards the basket.  He can shoot and he's got potential to be a terrific defender, but Wall and Beal have to pull him aside and teach that young man to finish drives.  

15 minutes ago, Destino said:

Watching that KO highlight, I'm amazed at how bad he looks the moment he starts to dribble towards the basket.  He can shoot and he's got potential to be a terrific defender, but Wall and Beal have to pull him aside and teach that young man to finish drives.  

For whatever the reason, I think he'll be starting over Otto at some point this year.  As a matter of fact, depending on which way the season is going, I could see Otto being moved (his rookie deal expires this year also.) 

1 hour ago, RonArtest15 said:

With that versatility, comes coordination.  And also, how do you gauge that?  If you're a skilled big, and that can be someone with the body type of Marc Gasol, you're coordinated.  Is it because he can dunk after putting the ball between his legs?  I just don't know how this is quantified...LOL. 

Embiid hasn't played a minute of regular season action, and the hyperbole is out of control. 

all I can say is if you watched him play in college, and watch how he avoids getting ripped. How he counters on post moves. He coordinated and he also the biggest person the court each time he plays.

1 hour ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Anthony Davis is the only one I think matches him, but Embiid is 7'3" (or 7'2") doing this.

Embiid is way stronger than Brow too.

Honestly the comparisons that come to mind for Embiid's size are guys like Avydas Sabonis and Yao.  He's a giant.  Probably walks around at 290 and he is capable of reaching up over top of other 6'11 bigs and scoring on them.  He's got to be one of the strongest players in the game already, and he is years away from putting on his man strength and maxing himself out.

And I think he might have a three ball too.

Porzingis is of comparable size and talent but he is nowhere near as strong as Embiid.  Gobert is almost as tall and long, but he's not as strong either, nor as skilled.  The only guys in his class are Boban Marjonovic and Hasheem Thabeet and those guys are stiffs with no skill.  Embiid is in a class by himself.  

The only thing limiting his potential is health and making sure he doesn't balloon up and get too heavy.

45 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

For whatever the reason, I think he'll be starting over Otto at some point this year.  As a matter of fact, depending on which way the season is going, I could see Otto being moved (his rookie deal expires this year also.) 

I need to see what this offense looks like before I can really guess at how that is going to play out.  If it looks like Wittman's stone age offense, I could see KO starting.  He's probably the better defender and if he doesn't have to dribble, he's good on offense.  If there is a lot of off ball movement where players are asked to make decisions with the ball, I suspect Otto will hold onto the starting job.  Otto is the smarter player and if he's allowed to run around and get open he's better than he showed last season when Wittman glued him to the floor behind the arc. 

Embiid has good hands and hops too.  Yao wasn't a shot blocker even though he was so huge.  Embiid is definitely a shot blocker.  So you're talking about a young big that not only has a huge amount of offensive potential, but can also be a dominant interior defender.

I honestly believe he has the potential to be the best two way center since prime Duncan.  He is a true throwback to the days when centers ruled the game of basketball.  The sky is the limit for this kid.

Brow and Porzingas aren't really centers are they? Comparing them to Embiid is difficult because they fill different roles and could share the floor without much overlap.  Embiid should be compared to guys like Whiteside, Drummond, Jordan, KAT, Okafor, etc. 

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Embiid has good hands and hops too.  Yao wasn't a shot blocker even though he was so huge.  Embiid is definitely a shot blocker.  So you're talking about a young big that not only has a huge amount of offensive potential, but can also be a dominant interior defender.

I honestly believe he has the potential to be the best two way center since prime Duncan.  He is a true throwback to the days when centers ruled the game of basketball.  The sky is the limit for this kid.

if the Sixers can get shooters aroudn him, they are going to dominate the east.

It may seem like its going back in time with having a team feature a post player, but its what this current NBA is missing.

1 hour ago, Destino said:

Brow and Porzingas aren't really centers are they? Comparing them to Embiid is difficult because they fill different roles and could share the floor without much overlap.  Embiid should be compared to guys like Whiteside, Drummond, Jordan, KAT, Okafor, etc. 

Porzingis is a center. He will be the first stretch center, but he is definitely a center.

Its kind of an insult to Embiid's talent level to compare him to Okafor, Drummond, Whiteside, and Jordan.

On October 7, 2016 at 3:59 PM, BenningRoadSkin said:

Porzingis is a center. He will be the first stretch center, but he is definitely a center.

Hes not the first stretch center. Both Leonard in Portland and Olynyk are stretch centers. Dirk might as well be on as well. 

10 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Hes not the first stretch center. Both Leonard in Portland and Olynyk are stretch centers. Dirk might as well be on as well. 

Dirk never played center

and I shoulda clarified. Good stretch center that makes defenses fear his outside game. Leonard barely plays and Olynyk is a scrub. That's why I didn't mention Matt Bullard, for instance.

21 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

couldn't you call Yao the first stretch 5? lol

Ralph Sampson could've been if he wasn't so far ahead of his time. I knew someone who played with him in high school who said he was by far the best ball handler on the team and I've heard from others that he had the handles and the shot to run the point in the NBA. 

I would trade Marcin for Olynyk straight up. Then start Mahinmi and bring Kelly off the bench. He has a ton of skills on the offensive end, can shoot from range, and is scrappy. He needs to learn how to stay on the court (foul trouble), but he brings a lot to the table and is stiIl very young.