Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

2 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

Possibly as an 8 seed. 

We'll see.  

My positive side says this team under performs, but we don't know if Wittman had a hand in that or if Brooks can turn that around.  If Brooks can get this team to perform more consistently, and maybe incorporate more off ball movement into the offense, they might surprise some people.  

But on the other hand, I'm worried about the bench Ernie cobbled together and I fully expect Beal to miss half the season again.  So yeah, Wizards are gonna wizard.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Destino said:

But on the other hand, I'm worried about the bench Ernie cobbled together and I fully expect Beal to miss half the season again.  So yeah, Wizards are gonna wizard.  

This bench looks awful.  The perimeter players are way too young and inexperienced and the bigs need good passing guards and wings to feed them to be effective.  Nicholson has no value whatsoever if he is not getting the ball around the low block.  Mahinmi's offensive game is pick and rolls.  Who exactly is going to be feeding these guys?  Sato can not be the only decent creator and passer on our bench.

That's why I think we have to stagger our starters to play with the bench.  Beal needs to be leading the bench as much as possible, with Sato running point beside him.  If you do that, you can keep Oubre off the ball and get some offense out of the bigs.  Beal and Wall are going to become increasingly redundant playing together.

Now obviously this doesn't work if Beal spends half the season hurt.  Our only other solution is to play Sato like 30 minutes a game (there is no way he can handle this many yet) and hope Burke can gel with Mahinmi and Nicholson so they can run PnRs.

8 hours ago, Skin'emAlive said:

I'd love for the Wizards to prove us all wrong, but im holding my breath. The returns look like what we said earlier. Its another year of Wall being superman, hoping Otto makes a leap, and hoping Beal stays healthy. 5th times the charm though, right? Honestly, unless the FO changes, nothing will change. Scott Brooks doesnt know what he signed on for. I hope for the best though, as always. I just dont think other fans understand how lucky and relieved we all are that Snyder brought in Mccloughan. The black hole of cerrato might be one of the few equivalents of the teflon don.

I was not being facetious - I will always root for Wizards as hard as I root for the Redskins... you guys allow me to follow the team and it is great to see Wiz talk in prime form.

I really don't care win, lose, draw... we know it will be Lebron vs. Warriors... with some Thunder, Spurs mixed in for Championship.  

15 hours ago, daveakl said:

Why can't he handle this?

He's not strong or conditioned enough.  He's a doughy rookie who played 24 MPG in Europe last season.  30 MPG is a whole different animal in the NBA.  The athletes are better and stronger and he'll have to play at least 20 more games here, and the schedule is way more dense. NBA games are about twice as frequent.

He's going to get worn down.  Same thing happened to Otto last season in his first experience playing 30 MPG.

27 minutes ago, Destino said:

I want the Wizards to do well and for Ernie to be fired.  I realize that those two things are pretty much mutually exclusive, but fans are free to want unrealistic things.   

I'll take one year of bad basketball to get rid of Ernie. I mean what's the difference? They've sucked for my entire life. 

2 hours ago, Taylor703 said:

I'll take one year of bad basketball to get rid of Ernie. I mean what's the difference? They've sucked for my entire life. 

Psst... he's had a couple "one year of bad basketball", and he's still here. 

Losing won't get him fired, not meeting Ted's expectations year after year will.  My understanding is he eventually gave up on the Capitals previous GM for this, so despite his unbelievable amount of patience with the Wizards ineptitude, I don't believe we have to be a lottery team every year for him to get the picture Ernie isn't the right guy for the job. 

Embiid is a freak of nature.  He is the most physically gifted and coordinated big man in the league.  He just posted up and hit a hook over Gortat with his inside hand.  Literally just jumped up and reached over top of him like he was being checked by a guard.

If this kid stays healthy we're about three or four years away from him being the best player in basketball.  The battles he's going to have with KAT will be epic.

Jason Smith has a silky mid range jumper.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Embiid is a freak of nature.  He is the most physically gifted and coordinated big man in the league.  He just posted up and hit a hook over Gortat with his inside hand.  Literally just jumped up and reached over top of him like he was being checked by a guard.

If this kid stays healthy we're about three or four years away from him being the best player in basketball.  The battles he's going to have with KAT will be epic.

said this in the NBA thread.

If they can get some shooters around him and Simmons develops a jumper, they will run the east in 4 years.