Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

And I really don't like the idea of sharing a name with a hockey team. Esp when the hockey team came first. And where did it happen all the time? The only instance I can think of is the baseball and football New York Giants
It's a really oooold tradition in sports. Another instance is when both the Redskins and the Atlanta Braves were in Boston and known as the Boston Braves. Another instance that is kind of like it is when the mascots are related. The Chicago Bears and Chicago Cubs come to mind. The Bears were originally known as the Decatur Staleys but when they moved to Chicago two years after they were founded, they took on the bear as their mascot. If you notice, they also have a similar basic color scheme as the Cubs.

I think the tradition might have begun because the same group owned the different franchises. A lot of these really old franchises were also basically semipro/amateur upon founding and you might have seen a lot of the same athletes competing on both teams. So you had your football club and your baseball club.

What I would love to see is the Washington teams all sport red, white, and blue as our colors. That gives a sense of franchise unity. The Islanders/Mets/Knicks all have the same colors with the Jets being the only oddball. Those are the teams of Long Island and the same people constitute the lion's share of each of their fanbases. The Capitals and Nationals already have similar colors, the Wizards will almost certainly switch to them as well.

Could we see the Redskins ever changing their colors? Unlikely. They're the franchise that most jealously guards their traditions (its basically all we've got at this point). But in 10 or 20 years when we're forced to finally change our name (that's about how long I give it before public sentiment entirely shifts against us), maybe you would see it happen then.

What I would love to see is the Washington teams all sport red, white, and blue as our colors. That gives a sense of franchise unity. The Islanders/Mets/Knicks all have the same colors with the Jets being the only oddball. Those are the teams of Long Island and the same people constitute the lion's share of each of their fanbases. The Capitals and Nationals already have similar colors, the Wizards will almost certainly switch to them as well..

Yeah, Ted has already stated that the Wiz will be switching to a color scheme similiar to the Caps and Mystics.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

I saw the Mystics jerseys. Pretty dull looking. I hate that they put Innova across the front instead of Mystics. The could have put the sponsors name on the shoulder of the jersey or something.

I hate watching the soccer teams and not seeing a team logo on the jersey. I know alot of the soccer teams have a team patch that they put in the corner/shoulder.

Edited by pjfootballer

They sure did put the sponsor on the uniform. Jesus...

I guess if you need extra cash and you're going to do it, better to do it with a team that nobody really cares about. I'd be livid if he did that with the Wizards uni's.

Woah. That is some EPL **** right there. I understand why a WNBA team might need to do it to generate revenue. But some of those European football clubs make as much money as NFL teams do. What's their excuse?

---------- Post added April-13th-2011 at 09:42 AM ----------

St. Louis Cardinals is another instance of the football and baseball teams being the same mascot. That could be a different story though. The football Cardinals were already called that when they were back in Chicago before they moved.

So the New Jersey Devils used to be the Colorado Rockies? I did not know that. Are you sure that's true?

When the Expos moved here there was talk about naming them the Senators as the two previous vaseball teams were. But the District scrapped that. See their license plate: Taxation Without Representation. There are no DC senators.

The Rangers own "Senators" for an MLB team. Shouldn't matter for an NBA team.

Check out Wiki. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Jersey_Devils

The Devils used to be the Rockies....and the "Scouts" before that.

This is what we know. Wizards is a bad sports franchise name. It also has nothing to do with the city. Thankfully, Ted has a chance to leave the colors and name behind if he wants. If allowed, this could be a chance to really do something unique in today's sports. Pittsburgh teams all use the same colors which is cool I think. Its unique. Bullets would be choice #1. Senators #2 and Capitals #3.

I've been a soccer fan my whole life so I'm not even SLIGHTLY bothered by sponsor logos on jerseys. I'd have zero issue if it happened in any major sport, to me it makes perfect sense. Pro sports are about cash and the jersey is the best possible sponsor location of them all.

I'm glad the WNBA did it as it will bring revenue to their league. The NBA, NFL, NHL, and MLB have no need for it because they are flush with cash but like I said, I wouldn't care either way as long as the sponsor was something horrible like tampax. lol

Oh I didn't know that other teams had already put sponsors on their jerseys too. I know there are teams named after sponsors in the MLS though (NY Red Bulls for example.) Still, I think that's horrible.

As far as that jacket goes, the company that sells that jacket put that together. I think it was a creation of their own and they took it down upon request.

---------- Post added April-13th-2011 at 01:28 AM ----------

I've become such a beast with Wall in NBA2K. Just got his 2nd triple double of the year. 24 points, 10 rebounds, 22 assists, 4 steals and a block. Only 3 turnovers. Also held Tony Parker to 10 points on 4-12 shooting.

Top All Star reserve and just snapped Lebron's 3 month steak of being Player of the Month in the Eastern Conference. 10th in scoring, 1st in assists, 3rd best rebounding PG and I've taken my turnovers per game from 6.5 to 3.5.

The Wizards are nice on 2K11. John Wall and McGee kills for me. I hate when people get the Heat, but when they do, I get the Bulls and kill with Rose and have Kyle Korver spot up for the three. :yes:

In the WNBA, I think the Phoenix Mercury were the first to put sponsors on their logos. Only reason I remember is because my girl had a Dianna Taursi(sp) jersey.

Has Harrison Barnes officially announced whether he is going back to school or declaring yet?

Next year is going to have some crazy good teams as some of the rich got richer.

Kentucky will be even better seeing as how they have like four five star recruits coming in.

Florida is going to be nasty with Bradley Beal starting and Patric Young getting a year to season.

Ohio State shouldn't miss a beat after pulling in a number of nice four star recruits.

Baylor will have one of the best forward combos in the country with Quincy Miller and Perry Jones.

St. Johns and Syracuse just pulled in nasty recruiting classes.

But most of all, if Harrison Barnes goes back to school, UNC will be absolutely loaded next season with potential lottery picks starting at four out of five positions and a future lottery pick coming off the bench. Kendall Marshall, P.J. Hairston, Harrison Barnes, John Henson, and Tyler Zeller is your starting five. You've got James McAdoo as a reserve and he's a top five H.S. recruit. That team is far more talented than the 2005 group in terms of NBA potential. It'll be interesting to see how they fare.

Personally, I wouldn't mind snagging the Baylor forwards (Jones and Miller) or the Kentcuky forwards (Davis and Gilchrist) for ourselves. It'd be cool if we could trade this year's lottery pick for an unprotected one next year.

http://eye-on-basketball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748484/28494184

Top 15 Most Popular NBA Jerseys:

1. LeBron James, Miami Heat

2. Kobe Bryant, Los Angeles Lakers

3. Rajon Rondo, Boston Celtics

4. Amar’e Stoudemire, New York Knicks

5. Derrick Rose, Chicago Bulls

6. Dwyane Wade, Miami Heat

7. Kevin Durant, Oklahoma City Thunder

8. Carmelo Anthony, New York Knicks

9. Dwight Howard, Orlando Magic

10. John Wall, Washington Wizards

11. Blake Griffin, Los Angeles Clippers

12. Shaquille O’Neal, Boston Celtics

13. Ray Allen, Boston Celtics

14. Paul Pierce, Boston Celtics

15. Kevin Garnett, Boston Celtics

I'm surprised Wall is ahead of Griffin, seeing how the league has mandated him the golden boy

You all seen this African kid who's gonna be in the draft? Bismack Biyombo. He's come out of no where and is shooting up draft boards. For example, nbadraft.net has him going middle of the 2nd round and draftexpress has him at #7. 6'9" with a 7'7" wingspan and ridiculous ups. They say he blocks shots with his elbows. Raw as hell but he bangs downlow and plays defense like no other.

You all seen this African kid who's gonna be in the draft? Bismack Biyombo. He's come out of no where and is shooting up draft boards. For example, nbadraft.net has him going middle of the 2nd round and draftexpress has him at #7. 6'9" with a 7'7" wingspan and ridiculous ups. They say he blocks shots with his elbows. Raw as hell but he bangs downlow and plays defense like no other.

I want the Wiz to draft him just for the name.

Biyombo started getting this hype recently when he had his 12 points - 11 rebounds - 10 block performance at the Nike Hoop Summit game. It's always alarming when an international player who who was rated low all of a sudden starts shooting up draft boards.

I'd draft him with a pick that is not our own lottery pick. If he can be stashed overseas for a season or two, then that's fine. We should have done the same for Seraphin while employing him a language tutor overseas.

Seraphin (through his agent) made it clear that he wanted to come over this season.

Seraphin (through his agent) made it clear that he wanted to come over this season.

Do we have to follow through with it though? I'm not sure what the NBA laws are in regards to this. I think it was overkill to expect Seraphin to get adjusted to the speed of the NBA game and getting adapted to a foreign country with a very poor grasp of English.