Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Why come out when there might be a lockout? Terrence Morris.

Don't know who remembers him but he was a forward for Maryland back in their championship days. After his sophmore year he was considered a top 5 pick, potential #1 overall pick. Size, speed, athleticism, handles, shot, everything. For some reason he decided to go back for his Junior year. Slipped in his junior year so he decided to go back for his senior year to try to raise his stock again. Eventually ended up as a 2nd round pick and was out of the league in two years. If you're a top pick, you need to go while the iron is hot. You don't know what can happen. And that includes injuries.

Lol @ nbadraft.net having his NBA comparison as Mike Dunleavy Jr. Let me know when Dunleavy dunks like that. God what a joke that site is. Tall? Check. Lanky? Check. White? Check. MIKE DUNLEAVY JR!!!

Nothing and I mean NOTHING will ever top the DeShawn Stevenson/Michael Jordan comparison they did.

Hahaha. Rare opportunity there. We get to laugh at the OTHER team. What a moron.
LOL! That was ridiculous I had forgotten about that one. I think I woke the neighbors with my shouts of glee when that one happened and then the Delonte West missed dunk too. Praise Jesus for youtube.
You know, me and Vishal were talking last night and we both agreed that this is the first time in awhile that we've felt genuine sadness over a Wizards season ending. Blatche aside (as well as McGee's :doh: moments) this is a fun, energetic and talented group with real heart. So easy to root for. We're blessed to have Wall and Crawford and Co. And whatever happens with the lottery and the draft, I can't wait for next year.
The past two weeks were the funnest of the season. I've never had as much fun watching NBA basketball as I did once we started the young guns. I'm so glad I took the plunge with the Wizards this year and started actively following and rooting. I'd lurked around the NBA for years and followed Arenas' career here but couldn't generate the interest to go whole hog with the team until they dumped Jamison and Butler and decided to start over from scratch. This is such a great time to become a Wizard's fan because you see the birth of something special from the painful beginning. It's going to be incredible when this group comes to fruition and John Wall gets his first ring. Now all we've got to do is change the name back to the Bullets.

It's funny, but now it's to the point where I feel more of a connection to the Wizards and Nats than I do with the Redskins. It's like I have to drag myself up on Sundays to watch the Redskins play but I genuinely look forward to watching the Nats and Wizards play each night. The Redskins are a slowly sinking battleship decommissioned a while ago for obsolescence and they will probably continue to die a little bit every day Dan Snyder is the owner. The Nats and Wizards are exciting, hungry young teams destined for bright things.

It's going to be tough after the next game, especially if there is a fullseason lockout. That bums me out way more than the NFL lockout does because I pretty much only care about college football now anyway. It also doesn't help that Zimmerman's on the DL at the same time. I'm going to have to start watching the NHL playoffs in earnest and try to rekindle my interest in hockey.

I'm on the Kanter bandwagon, but you gotta take into account the concerns with his knees. That's really, really not good when talking about a big.
My approach is, I don't really understand all of the nuances of knee injuries so I'll just ignore the issue and wait for some expert to tell me whether his knees are any good or not before the draft. He's only 18, how bad can they be? Edited by stevemcqueen1

It's funny, but now it's to the point where I feel more of a connection to the Wizards and Nats than I do with the Redskins. It's like I have to drag myself up on Sundays to watch the Redskins play but I genuinely look forward to watching the Nats and Wizards play each night. The Redskins are a slowly sinking battleship decommissioned a while ago for obsolescence and they will probably continue to die a little bit every day Dan Snyder is the owner. The Nats and Wizards are exciting, hungry young teams destined for bright things.

Could not agree more. The Skins are 3rd on the totem pole for me now. I never thought that would happen. Never. But the passion just isn't there anymore. Zorn killed it. And I HATE Fedex Field. I'll never go to another game again as long as they're playing there.

All of it has just gotten so tiresome. It's just the same **** year after year. I'm just burnt on Redskins bull****.

My approach is, I don't really understand all of the nuances of knee injuries so I'll just ignore the issue and wait for some expert to tell me whether his knees are any good or not before the draft. He's only 18, how bad can they be?

See when someone is big they put a lot of strain on their knees. Everytime you get injured your knee weakens a little more. So when you're big and you have weak knees, nothing good happens. I'm not sure of the exact status but that's the thing I keep hearing about Kanter. Knee problems, knee problems, knee problems. That's not good.

But on the flipside, maybe that causes him to slip a little so if we are drafting at 8 he's still there. I'm willing to take the risk at that spot. If we're higher up we gotta really check him out.

Redskins games have lost pretty much all their appeal to me now. You bring in a different coaching staff and general manager, people think change is on the way. You trade draft picks for Donovan McNabb.

I like the commitment to youth and building a structural foundation that other DC teams minus the Redskins have shown. I 100% believe that Snyder just doesn't have the patience to willingly sit through some pitiful seasons (even though his ideology leads to more and more garbage year after year).

Just to back up what I was saying about Morris:

http://works.bepress.com/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1009&context=byron_gajewski&sei-redir=1#search="terrence+morris+staying+in+school"

On the other hand, staying in school may not always be the best choice. Terence Morris completed four years at the University of Maryland, even though many predicted him a top three draft pick after his sophomore season. Despite a great college career, Morris’ lack of significant improvements from sophomore to senior year resulted in his being chosen as a second round pick in the 2001 NBA draft. Compared to the potential of a guaranteed multi-year, multimillion dollar contract that might have come with entering the draft after his sophomore year, Morris’ ultimate pick did not even guarantee a roster spot

He is like THE example of how staying in school can go wrong.

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

My approach is, I don't really understand all of the nuances of knee injuries so I'll just ignore the issue and wait for some expert to tell me whether his knees are any good or not before the draft. He's only 18, how bad can they be?

If you're 18 and already having knee problems, that's not a good thing.

I wouldn't be surprised if Kanter's knees are degenerative.

If you're 18 and already having knee problems, that's not a good thing.

I wouldn't be surprised if Kanter's knees are degenerative.

As someone who has knee problems at times and I'm 18 as well it may not get better, but also he's an athlete so he could better deal with it than me. Do think I'd take him but still would be ultra cautious as to what could happen

EDIT: again mine aren't that bad but at times they do cause some pain, not to the level of a degenerative condition but still can only imagine what his would be like

Edited by Dukes and Skins

They just talked about Wall's guarantee of us making the playoffs next season on PTI. Kornheiser said he wasn't buying it because not 3 of our current players will be on the team next year. Kornheiser hasn't been paying attention to us apparently (although you can't really blame him). We've got a foundation. Wall, Crawford, and Booker will all definitely be back so there goes his theory. Javale is probably here to stay too unless someone really surprises us with a nice offer. Blatche will probably be tough to deal so I'd expect him to be back. I also doubt we'll give up on Seraphin so soon. I think we're pretty much stuck with Rashard too (can he be bought out?) so by my count that's about 7 guys who should be back next season. It'd also be nice to keep either Mo Evans or Othyus Jeffers around too. I'd also look at keeping around that other d league guy we just signed with the hunched look whose name I can't remember.

Might be a moot point anyway if there's a lockout.

Also, I don't know that making the playoffs next season is in our best interest long term. Next year's lottery looks nice when you add Barnes, Henson, PJ and Sullinger to it.

I just hope Wall doesn't get frustrated if (most likely when) we don't make the playoffs whenever basketball does resume.

I guess in the east a bottom seed playoff chance is possible, but almost everything would have to break in our favor. I think we'll definitely be improved but not quite at a playoff level, even in the east.

I do love that he's talking like that though, for all his physical gifts on the court, its his drive to want to win that will make him a beast for years to come.

Personally, I don't think the Wizard can afford to have a prolonged rebuilding period.

Assuming the new CBA doesn't lengthen/shorten contracts, we have two seasons to prove to Wall that we have a bright future.

And if we don't, we might be faced with the possibility of losing/having to trade him.

Just something I've been considering.....

I'm pretty confident in Ted's ability to create a situation where Wall won't feel the need to leave this franchise. If anything, I'm actively rooting for players like DeMarcus Cousins to start playing up to their potential because Wall will have enough star power to attract big name FA's in the future.

Who knows what the NBA will look like post-lockout?

I personally don't think they will make the playoffs next year. But you want Wall believing that deep down.

Next season is the "rebrand"

Hopefully after a year of owning the team, Ted knows the changes he wants to bring in. I'd like to see the team instill a huge sense of professionalism, especially for a young roster. I don't care if that means behind the scenes some guys are being babysat. I know it sounds stupid but look how established teams in sports handle themselves. That comes from the top down. They need a coach who has experience with younger guys and being strict. Workout, Practice and Play all at the same high level. If a guy slacks, to the bench.

If a Blatche washes out....whatever. You know Wall will give 100%.

Also, bring the Captain's "C" to this team, and bust out two "A"s also. Clearly define your leaders.

Edited by Buford

I'll be interested to see if Orlando and New Orleans can keep their franchise players. Those are crap situations if ever there were some. If they keep Howard and Paul then I have all of the faith in the world that Ted can hold onto Wall. Kevin Love too, if he's willing to suffer it out in Minnesota then we should be able to keep Wall.

Plus Wall is a PG which can be an FA magnet rather than a threat to leave. I do think DeMarcus Cousins could be in play down the line if he actually ends up being good and we need him. Wall has a special relationship with him. Wall is kind of the George and Cousins is the Lenny from Of Mice and Men.

I made that mistake with Malcolm Kelly. Now I'm skeptical.

---------- Post added April-12th-2011 at 07:20 PM ----------

I'm surprised I'm even here. I don't come here nearly as often as I used to. I don't listen to the radio too often any more because they're always talking about the Redskins and/or the NFL lockout. I pretty much have gone into a situation where I'm a Wizards/Caps fan who occasionally care about the Redskins. maybe its because of the lockout, but I remember being sooooo excited when we got Wall and following the Wizards all last year in preparation for another crappy Redskins season. At least with the Wizards/Capitals I have hope that we'll get better. With the Skins, its more like a required course for graduation. I don't have any passion about whats actually going on, I just root because I'm supposed to. It really does suck, and in my opinion, this town is ripe to become a basketball town.

With the young High School talent between Bmore and Richmond, a good hoops NBA team in D.C. could kill. Especially with a guy like Ted. You've got to #1. Win, duh. #2. Have a color scheme and logo people want to wear. #3. Put in the effort to reach the community.

A good thing the Skins and Snyder do is hooking up football fields in the area. There are a ton of hoops courts that are in rough shape. Is it against any rules to fix up, build public courts with the Red/White/Blue team colors all over it?

The Redskins are the most popular team in D.C., but D.C. is really a basketball town. If the Wizards could ever be consistently competitive, people would be all over them. Hell even in the playoff years with Gil and the "Big 3" games were almost always sold out and some of those playoff games had awesome atmospheres. Ultimately though you have to WIN. I think with Wall we can build a foundation to contend for years.

Kelly's problem last year wasn't actually his knees but a severe hamstring injury. Those aren't necessarily related conditions.

Some players have degenerate knee conditions and play for a while. Rocky McIntosh even had ACL surgery and he's been fine ever since. If anything, I've learned to be skeptical about media reports on knee injuries because the tendency is often to overstate the severity of the prognosis.

Plus a lot of pro athletes are tough as crap. If Chris Samuels can be a ten year vet with spinal stenosis then there isn't much of an excuse for a young guy like Kanter not to suck it up. It's not like he's Greg Oden and a tetragenarian.

If the redskins hadn't won three superbowls, they would be a nobody in this city and the wizards would be the team of the town

The Redskins are certainly the premier team in this town but the status of that isn't written in stone. The team has been bad for a long time now and recently the waiting list has come under question and the stadium looks more and more vacant. If they don't turn it around they'll end up the same way the wizards did after after they stunk for over a decade. Needing to win in order to get fan support is a bad place to be for any franchise.

The wizards have a new excitement about them because of the new owner that is well liked and respected in this town. People have hope and I've seen a lot more interest in the team this season, even though on paper it's been dreadful, than in years past. John Wall certainly had something to do with that of course. I think people embrace the concept of going young and trying to do things the right way. They can watch losses knowing that these guys are developing and that a foundation is being built.

The Redskins on the other hand are loaded with older players and have no clear direction to speak of. People just don't know what the hell to make of that team and fans tend to dislike the owner. They need to turn it around soon or things are going to get uglier and uglier.