Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

The Wizards can't even tank properly.

You see what your sig is saying. That is the type of attitude the Wizards have right now. There is no point of tanking for these players. They're playing hard and that is all we should be asking for from a team that has the record that the Wizards have.

Yeah I'm not really seeing a player that is worth two 1sts. I still think Kanter should be the pick. If Barnes comes out that would almost definitely change things. If we're picking 8th I think Terence Jones should definitely be at the top of the list of possibles. I was big on him earlier in the year but I kinda get a Blatche vibe from him. Great talent but his body language on the court is scary. And he did get into with Calipari midway through.

He's worse than Blatche.

From all reports, he has some "Demarcus Cousins" in him. And that's not a compliment either.

You see what your sig is saying. That is the type of attitude the Wizards have right now. There is no point of tanking for these players. They're playing hard and that is all we should be asking for from a team that has the record that the Wizards have.

Exactly.

The lotto gods will reward us for playing hard. Teams that go out of their way to tank usually don't end up winning the lotto. Last year we had the 5th worst record and won it. This year right now I believe we have the 4th worst.

There is no God. There is only David Stern.

But that's a good point. The whole point of the lottery is to deter teams from tanking. Maybe David Stern will reward the one team who plays by the rules and refuses to tank.

Dominating win by the Wizards.

Wait, WHAT? :rubeyes:

---------- Post added April-10th-2011 at 05:26 AM ----------

Durant would be amazing though. (I'm not even going to comment on your third guy :doh:)
:ols: I know you don't like him, but you CAN win with him as your centerpiece (ask Cleveland).

There is no God. There is only David Stern.

But that's a good point. The whole point of the lottery is to deter teams from tanking. Maybe David Stern will reward the one team who plays by the rules and refuses to tank.

I pray you're right. While I'm not gaga over anybody in this draft, I think I'd like Williams, Barnes and Kanter in that order. I'm still not quite sold on Kanter because I haven't seen him play, but from what I read he could be something this team really needs, and an asset to McGee, as well as the player that keeps Blatche out of the starting spot (and possibly off this team). I'm also into T. Jones, but only if we have a later pick as I don't really see him as a top 5 guy.

If they land a top 4 pick, they will get either Williams, Cantor or Jones. They don't need Irving who's listed at 6'2. which probably only makes him 6 feet. Wall is already around 6'2 or 6'3 being listed at 6'4.

The three I named are all forwards in the 6'10-6'11 range with good upsides.

As far as needing a 3 before we need a replacement for Blatche, unless Barnes comes out or a slipping Terence Jones wows at pre-draft workouts, that's not gonna be possible with out top 5 pick. Maybe Perry Jones? I don't like him though. Outside of PG and possibly SG, we need to go BPA with every pick.

We're going to get our 3 in the lottery for 2012.

This is the year to draft a PF who can play an important role with our first lottery pick. We can ship Blatche off to the first taker and start the process of solidifying the front court. We'll get Seraphin/Booker/rookie playing time and pepper in some Rashard Lewis. We could even find a cheap Hilton Armstrong style vet to add to the mix (hoping Yi is gone).

The reasons we'll get our 3 in the 2012 lottery:

- The near certainty of a lockout. They'll have to use a calculation of standings for the past several years to determine lottery chances and we'll come out with a high chance for a top 5 pick.

- We're still a year away even if games are played.

- There are an assload of 3s in next year's class with huge potential.

Most teams don't have our opportunity to build through the draft because most teams don't get the chance to pick in the top five 3 or 4 years in a row. The Clippers, Thunder, and Kings might be the only others that have. That's what'll probably happen for us. The advantage we have over those clubs is that we're a powerful market with great ownership.

Next year's group of 3s will have Quincy Miller, Michael Gilchrist, James McAdoo, and Harrison Barnes. Anthony Davis is still skinny and fast enough to be an NBA 3 as well. That's at least five Americans who are better than the best three likely to be in this year's group (Terrence Jones if you draft Perry Jones to play PF). Barnes and Gilchrist give you the Scottie Pippen type--elite perimeter defense, leadership, quality catch and shooter. Miller gives you the KD type of scorer. McAdoo an Davis would be PF/SF hybrids who give you beefy power and length paired with speed.

We'll find our starters through the draft. Good forwards come out almost every year and you can get them picking in the top 5. Depending on who we pick with our top lottery choice this year, I think I would try and trade the Atlanta choice and Blatche for an unprotected 2012 choice.

---------- Post added April-10th-2011 at 12:28 PM ----------

If they land a top 4 pick, they will get either Williams, Cantor or Jones. They don't need Irving who's listed at 6'2. which probably only makes him 6 feet. Wall is already around 6'2 or 6'3 being listed at 6'4.
He measured a hair under 6'3 without shoes (6'2.75"). With shoes on, Wall is a true 6'4. He's got a 6'9.25" reach.

Derrick Williams is probably about 6'8 with his shoes on.

I bet Kanter will be just under a true 6'11 with his shoes on when he measures at the combine.

I think Perry Jones will measure a true 6'11 with shoes on as well and be the second tallest of the top lottery players.

I could see Valanciunas being the tallest when he finishes growing. I think he could easily crack 7' without shoes.

This is a trade proposal from another message board.

Personally, I don't like it... but for those of you who want Dray gone at all costs, this might be acceptable.

Not sure how this would work, salary wise, but wanted to throw it out and get some feedback;

Wizards trade;

Andray Blatche

2011 2nd rd pick

Knicks trade;

Ronnie Turiaf

Ronaldo Balkmon

2011 #16 pick (approx draft position)

Wizards get better defensively in this trade.

Knicks get better upfront with:

SF - Carmello Anthony

PF - Amare Stoudamire

C - Andray Blatche

SG - Landry Fields

PG - Chauncey Billups

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

Front court contracts. The reason I bring this up is because there is way too much attention on the starters we don't like and not on the fact that the roster is HORRIBLE. It's drowning in D-League or equivalent talent along the front court. I would like the front court (and team) to purge itself ENTIRELY of players that aren't at least mediocre NBA talent.

Small Forward

Rashard Lewis $21,136,630 next season. No other guaranteed money (meaning he will be cut).

*I don't see any other small forwards signed for next season.

Rashard's odds of staying healthy and/or being productive next season are low. You are going to need a starter at this position for all intents and purposes and possibly swing Young over here when extra depth is needed during the game.

----------------------------------

Power Forward

Andray Blatche 2012-$6,442,083 2013-$7,118,502 2014-$7,794,921 2015-$8,471,339

Trevor Booker $1,294,920 Team Option$1,385,280 Team Option-$2,350,820 Qualifying-$3,420,433

Yi Jianlian Qualifying-$5,403,366

I can't imagine Yi being back. That leaves Blatche and Booker meeting my "average, good, or better" requirement for the roster.

-----------------------------------

Center

Javale Mcgee $2,462,400 Qualifying-$3,494,145

Kevin Seraphin $1,680,360 Team Option$1,797,600 Team Option$2,761,114 Qualifying-$3,898,692

Obviously this is a problem. Javale himself isn't very good and we have no one else signed for next season not that we've had anyone else this year that could do it. I'd prefer a starter OVER McGee because JaVale isn't a starting center in the NBA at this point in his career. His defense (other than his blocks) is poor and his offensive game is horrid. Seraphin is way undersized to play the 5 and hasn't looked like an NBA player at all this season.

-----------------------------------

So what starting caliber SF and Center can we add? If we trade Blatche who starts at PF assuming Booker can provide quality depth at PF.

*If Nick Young gets a huge offer we'll need a guard to add to the rotation as well (hope this isn't the case).

Edited by Destino

Seraphin should count as a back up C. He's played almost every minute of the season at the C spot.

He's 6-9 and horrible. Sorry but he doesn't meet my standard of "at least mediocre NBA talent". I would very much like the roster needs to at least look like a real NBA roster next season.

Edited by Destino

He's 6-9 and horrible. Sorry but he doesn't meet my standard of "at least mediocre NBA talent"

He's a long term project and that was known when he was drafted. He has very little experience as a basketball player.

But he's not a PF. He was drafted as a C and he played the C spot this year.

He's a long term project and that was known when he was drafted. He has very little experience as a basketball player.

But he's not a PF. He was drafted as a C and he played the C spot this year.

I see your point so I edited my post. Still think he shouldn't be on the team.

Edited by Destino

I think they should have stashed him away for this year and possibly next. He is clearely overwhelmed at the NBA level. He certainly doesn't belong in the league right now.

I think he could have benefited from a few more years of international play. I questioned the pick when it happened and I still have my doubts. Using the #17 pick on a big time project is always questionable. But I do see the potential. He's a really tough guy in the paint and he's shown the ability to have a soft touch around the rim.

I agree that they need to find another C over the offseason. I'd take a look at Jeff Foster. Very good rebounder. Seraphin at best, is two seasons away from being a regular contributor at the NBA level.

NBA Power Poll: Non-contenders

27. Washington Wizards

The past two Wizards seasons easily could have doubled as an HBO dramedy about a dysfunctional NBA team called "Chocolate City." The pilot episode would have been structured around longtime owner Abe Pollin dying (November 2009) and the team going into a state of flux, as Gilbert Arenas slowly melted down over nasty Internet rumors and Andray Blatche did Andray Blatche things. Within a few episodes, Gilbert's card game with Javaris Crittenton (and their heated aftermath in the locker room, including the guns, the investigation and the suspension) would have been the dominant plot of the first season, with backup plots revolving around lovably wacky Internet billionaire Ted Leonsis buying the team, Andray Blatche as Andray Blatche, and Mike Miller playing entire games without ever breaking a sweat. Then the cliffhanger would have been the Wiz winning the John Wall Sweepstakes.

Season 2? Not quite as exciting; still watchable. You'd have the episode in which Wall did the Dougie and got berated by a national radio personality. You'd have episodes for Gilbert finally getting traded, JaVale McGee emerging as a rebounder/shot-blocker and making the dunk contest (where his crazy mom kissed the judges on the lips), and Flip Saunders making history by getting outcoached by Vinny Del Negro in a game. You'd have emerging characters like Yi Jianlian (the overwhelmed Asian import who can't believe he's on such a crazy team); Kirk Hinrich (the dorky guy from Kansas who has nothing in common with anyone on the team); Nick Young (the gunner who everyone hates playing with -- did you know he hasn't had three assists in a game since mid-January?); Mike Bibby (the old guy who got traded here, took a look around, then told his agent, "I'll give up next year's salary just to get out of here"); and, of course, Andray Blatche as Andray Blatche. Maybe it hasn't been as good as Season 1, but the show has legs now. I'm excited for Season 3

Sorry if this has already been posted, but I found it hilarious.

^^^

Bill Simmons is always hilarious. However he should have mentioned the prequel to the disaster that was 2009. i.e. Arenas dumping in Blatches shoes and subsequently destroying his drive and motivation for basketball forever..

Edited by Skin'emAlive