Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I was trying to convert him half a decade ago, when the Wiz were the hottest ticket in town. If he's finally come around then it really is an exciting time to be a Wiz fan. Times are a changin'.

It was a lot of fun when we were the poor man's version of the Suns.

No defense, plenty of scoring and never a real playoff threat but damnit watching our Big Three do work on the offensive side of the court was phenomenal. I won't ever forget Gil in his prime hitting game winners.

http://www.ridiculousupside.com/2011/4/6/2093746/larry-owens-wizards-nba-d-league-call-up-washington

Larry Owens has been called up to the Washington Wizards from the NBA D-League's Tulsa 66ers, Ridiculous Upside has learned from a source close to the situation. With the move -- and the Wizards planning to sign fellow D-League call-up Othyus Jeffers for the remainder of the season -- Washington will have to release a player to stay at the 15-man roster limit.

Owens, a 6-foot-7 forward, averaged 12.4 points, 5.0 rebounds and 3.0 assists in 30 minutes per game in the Development League season. His impact on the court, however, is much more impressive than his box score statistics seem to infer.

Owens has played the role of a glue guy for the 66ers this season, making sure the offense is clicking while anchoring the team's defense while typically taking a backseat to the four Oklahoma City Thunder draft picks as well as Elijah Millsap and Jerome Dyson, players who spent time with the Thunder this preseason.

When Owens' offensive production in needed, however, he's been able to deliver in spades with the best example coming at this time last season. With the majority of Tulsa's regular season contributors in theNBA, Owens was able to lead the 66ers to the D-League finals by averaging 18.5 points on 50% field goal shooting (and 46% three-point shooting), 7.0 rebounds, 1.4 steals and 1.2 blocks over the course of eight games.

In talking to an NBA scout during the D-League Showcase -- where Owens impressed enough to earn a call-up to the San Antonio Spurs shortly after -- he was impressed with nearly ever facet of Owens' game.

"Last season Larry really blossomed offensively, especially in the playoffs," the scout said. "He can score in every way -- He's good on the one-dribble pull up, he can go to the rim and finishesand he's really shooting well from the 3 point line."

This season, it seems like he's focusing more on his defense," the scout continued. "He's long, wiry and really gets his hands on a lot of balls. His foot speed is good enough to stay in front of quick wings, too, so I'm surprised he's not on more teams radars. He's definitely on ours."

He was apparently on the Wizards' as well and will hopefully get a decent opportunity to show them what he's capable of during the remaining week of the season.

Owens is the third D-League call-up of the season for the Wizards, joining Jeffers and Mustafa Shakur.'

I'd be willing to overpay for a guy with his attitude and work ethic. I also think he could score 15 points a game on a bad team.

I can tell you are a skins fan....shouldn't "overpay" for anyone! That is what gets teams in trouble in all sports with a salary cap.

Ted Leonsis.

http://www.tedstake.com/2011/04/06/learning-to-win/

Learning to Win

Read these quotes.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/wizards-vs-pistons-washington-drops-detroit-for-first-three-game-winning-streak-since-2008/2011/04/05/AFPyhAmC_story.html?hpid=z9

See the players’ confidence building.

See players developing right before your eyes.

That is what a rebuild is all about.

A new big three has announced its arrival - Wall, Crawford and Blatche. Big minutes - big productivity - big results. And wins, too.

We are short-handed and so players are getting bigger minutes to show the world what they can do.

We have two first round draft picks next off season. We have cap space.

We are young.

We have upside.

We are becoming an exciting team to watch.

The sun is shining out today.

Admit it. It feels good to be Wizards fans watching the rebuild unfold, yes? I am so grateful to you all and I appreciate all of your positive emails.

I was just about to post about that SU. As I said before, even though there's no chance we're drafting him, Irving declaring helps us immensely. The ore PGs at the top the better (saw a mock yesterday with Kemba Walker going #6). And if we do in fact win the lottery and a couple of teams fall in love with Irving, oh baby. Trade back in the lottery and pick up a couple of more picks, maybe a nice young player, or maybe some picks for next year (when the draft doesn't suck as much ass.)

I got a feeling Barnes is coming out too. If he was coming back wouldn't it make sense to announce it with Henson and other dude? Like a team thing.

The thing I might be looking forward to the most next year is not having Yi on this team. I feel unfortunate to have witnessed such a horrible basketball player.

just by sitting at home and watching the game, we are having the same impact on the game as Yi defensively

The thing I might be looking forward to the most next year is not having Yi on this team. I feel unfortunate to have witnessed such a horrible basketball player.

hahaha absolutely. He doesn't look like the same human being in the NBA compared to what I saw from him in the FIBA World Championship. I hate seeing him step onto the court.

hahaha absolutely. He doesn't look like the same human being in the NBA compared to what I saw from him in the FIBA World Championship. I hate seeing him step onto the court.
just by sitting at home and watching the game, we are having the same impact on the game as Yi defensively

He might lead the league in And-1's given up. He doesn't even make an effort to get of his feet and do anything.

We've had a whole lot of garbage big men over the years. I think Yi is the worst I've ever seen.

this doesn't surprise me at all....I think both of you are idiots.

You think a lot of stupid ****. Like this for example:

long term we need help at all positions, but at least we have Rashard Lewis for the next couple years to play the 3....

and the best big men I have ever seen was Micheal Ruffin. I really thought he was gonna be the next NBA MVP

Ruffman was a beast. Chemical engineering degree + a 13 year NBA career?

Badass

---------- Post added April-6th-2011 at 07:46 PM ----------

The highlight of Ruffin's career: