Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Blatche for Nicolas Batum. Straight up if the contracts work out right.

Portland would never do it. Blatche is a really crappy version of Lamarcus Aldridge. They need a C.

I was open to Batum for McGee as I think Portland had offered this not too long ago. I'm a bit hesitant now. I still wanna believe that McGee will eventually get it. Nick Young finally got it this year in his fourth season. Maybe McGee will as well.

I don't know what you mean a crappy verison of Aldridge means, hes only a top 3 PF in this league. You love that TS percentage don't you? Blatche has been hurt for most the season and as of right now he is hitting the boards hard, at 25 and with a rebuilding team whats 1 more season? Hes getting better each year in his career we still don't really know what his celling is and if hes giving you at least 16 and 8 and his contract is value. Clean up his life style, take less jump shots and he can be a winner.

We need to get that SF position filled and locked up don't create anymore holes.

How did Young finally get it? what did he get? what did he improve on? hes shooting a average at best percentage, and hes doing nothing else. You mean too tell me that of 18+ times you have the ball in your hands no one is open? 1 assist out of 18 shots man thats not a team player. Its not like hes giving you rebounds, steals, at his 6'6 frame maybe block a few shots cause turnovers some how?

Some how Nick Young is getting a pass. I don't get it

Edited by SiCkSoULjA

Why not a rookie? We're a rebuilding team whose greatest resource is time. Unproven rookies worked for both of our holes at guard. We need to go the same route to find long term solutions at our forward holes.

Sam Presti demonstrated how a team with a franchise player but low free agency draw can be built into a contender mostly through the draft. We need to be following that model.

I like Perry Jones, Kanter, and Valanciunas all as long term upgrades over Blatche.

1 - Our greatest resource is not time. We're likely to lose a season and John Wall will not stay here if we are in shambles by the time he due a new contract.

2 - Skilled 4 and 5 with adequate height are the rarest players in the NBA and they take longer to develop than any other position. Banking on a rookie turning out to be good is not a plan to replace a starter now. It's a plan to replace a starter EVENTUALLY.

Perry Jones has a ton of potential, and I like the idea of drafting him, but he's not polished and had an up and down year. He's not a sure thing and I don't see him being a starting caliber big in the NBA his first two seasons. Drafting him doesn't make getting rid of Blatche sensible now but if he works out it makes sense to do so down the road. Enes Kanter looks great but has bad knees. I hate to say it but a 6'11 big man with bad knees is a hell of a gamble. Valanciunas looks "too Euro" for me to say he's a safe pick and I think he'd take a while to develop into an NBA 4 or 5.

I'm all for replacing Blatche but not with no one. The team has to get BETTER not worse. He's signed for a long time and isn't too expensive. No reason to get rid of him at this point, we can do so later when it makes more sense.

I'm far more interested in upgrading the 3 right now which this year gave the wizards NOTHING.

I actually used to somewhat support Blatche until I started paying attention to him live. Go to a Wizards game and just focus on Blatche and then compare his effort with those around him.

Every time he was on the court, he was the laziest player on the floor. Just mind numbingly stupid, lazy player. I mean how many big men go on radio to defend themselves by saying that they are "finesse" and playing hard in the paint isn't there game. That's a ***** mentality for someone who is 6'11 and 270 pounds.

This team suffers practically no loss in offensive efficiency or defensive efficiency when Blatche is out. I will say that we shouldn't trade him for peanuts. His contract isn't salary cap crippling and I think there's a good possibility that he can be a good reserve player. Maybe the spot light isn't for him and a 2nd team role might work better for him. I think Destino suggested this a few pages ago and I agree. Trade him if you get good value but don't get rid of him if you are taking a loss in the trade.

the thing that gets me is this idea that he's only doing this because he's hurt. Its like I'm the only one who's been watching the wizards for the last six years. That is Andray Blatche. That's what he does. He's lazy and inconsistent beyond belief. That's why Darius Songaila with no back would get playing time over him. And then he had a good two months when they're talking extension with him and people act like we've been holding him back this whole time. Jesus Christ...

And please spare me this idea that he missed the last 3 weeks or whatever and now the light has gone on. People don't work like that. He is what he is.

As far as keeping John Wall happy goes, making him play with a lazy ***** while he busts his ass ain't gonna do it. He's already called out Blatche once.

the thing that gets me is this idea that he's only doing this because he's hurt. Its like I'm the only one who's been watching the wizards for the last six years. That is Andray Blatche. That's what he does. He's lazy and inconsistent beyond belief. That's why Darius Songaila with no back would get playing time over him. And then he had a good two months when they're talking extension with him and people act like we've been holding him back this whole time. Jesus Christ...

And please spare me this idea that he missed the last 3 weeks or whatever and now the light has gone on. People don't work like that. He is what he is.

As far as keeping John Wall happy goes, making him play with a lazy ***** while he busts his ass ain't gonna do it. He's already called out Blatche once.

All well and good we've gone over why he's not a fan favorite a billion times. Now tell me what you get on the floor in his place and what your depth looks like. There is a huge difference between who we like and running the team. If we can upgrade the position on the floor pull the trigger if we can't the guy is signed and not too pricey, keep him until the better option and a better backup is within reach. That simple.

BTW - Getting rid of Blatche isn't going to upgrade McGee and the black hole we have at the 3 spot. This team needs a lot of attention to be ready to lure a superstar if we (as is likely) don't end up drafting one.

There's nothing on that list that really jumps out at me - except maybe Carl Landry who I really really like and who was adored in Houston.

What are the C's going to do with Big Baby? I'd be willing to overpay for a guy with his attitude and work ethic. I also think he could score 15 points a game on a bad team.

If I'm running the Wizards, I'm probably more interested in brining in "good guys" as vets right now while trying to build through the draft. Both those dudes would qualify - and both are still relatively young.

There's nothing on that list that really jumps out at me - except maybe Carl Landry who I really really like and who was adored in Houston.

What are the C's going to do with Big Baby? I'd be willing to overpay for a guy with his attitude and work ethic. I also think he could score 15 points a game on a bad team.

If I'm running the Wizards' date=' I'm probably more interested in brining in "good guys" as vets right now while trying to build through the draft. Both those dudes would qualify - and both are still relatively young.[/quote']

I wouldn't mind Marc Gasol, but Memphis has the right to match any offer, and i'm sure they will as long as somebody doesn't throw a max deal his way

Wilson Chandler or Jeff Green.

I'm interested in what Denver does with Chandler. Haven't really kept up with how he's played there but doesn't Gallinari also play the 3 spot? Maybe they don't want to invest in Chandler. Depending on the price, he would be a good fit on this team.

We have to upgrade the 3 spot somehow. No way do I bring back and trust Josh Howard. Cartier Martin is garbage. Rashard Lewis can't defend worth a lick and should be used as hybrid backup at this point.

I can't think of a team that is as bad at the 3 spot as we are.

I wouldn't mind Landry depending on what happens with Blatche. He's a lot better but I wouldn't want to invest too much considering we most likely draft a PF and we already have Trevor Booker as a back up. We end up with too many mediocre players with Booker, Landry and Blatche.

Edited by No Excuses

We have to upgrade the 3 spot somehow. No way do I bring back and trust Josh Howard. Cartier Martin is garbage. Rashard Lewis can't defend worth a lick and should be used as hybrid backup at this point.

I can't think of a team that is as bad at the 3 spot as we are.

I wouldn't mind Landry depending on what happens with Blatche. He's a lot better but I wouldn't want to invest too much considering we most likely draft a PF and we already have Trevor Booker as a back up. We end up with too many mediocre players with Booker, Landry and Blatche.

If I'm running this team, Blatche is gone so...there you go. If you go PF in the draft, I think you still need another big. (I'm of the opinion that you can never have too many bigs as 2s and 3s seem to be the easiest thing to find).

All well and good we've gone over why he's not a fan favorite a billion times. Now tell me what you get on the floor in his place and what your depth looks like. There is a huge difference between who we like and running the team. If we can upgrade the position on the floor pull the trigger if we can't the guy is signed and not too pricey, keep him until the better option and a better backup is within reach. That simple.

BTW - Getting rid of Blatche isn't going to upgrade McGee and the black hole we have at the 3 spot. This team needs a lot of attention to be ready to lure a superstar if we (as is likely) don't end up drafting one.

I disagree. We should trade Blatche the moment we get an excellent offer. We lose nothing of serious value by taking a minor dip in scoring output at the 4 during our rebuilding phase. And if anything, the 4 we replace him with will almost certainly shoot at a higher %. His shots will go to better shooters already on the team. We lose nothing defensively from getting rid of him. Yi is about as big a stiff as you can find and were we really any worse defensively when he was starting instead of Blatche? Platoon Kevin Seraphin and Trevor Booker at the 4 if you're worried about defense and they're probably better than Blatche right now.

Javale could pick up the slack in rebounding that Blatche's departure would create, as he demonstrated during the games Blatche was out. Not only that, any of those rookies I mentioned from before would be at least as effective rebounders as Blatche if not immediately better.

Plus there are chemistry considerations that make getting rid of Blatche appealing in both the short term and long term. I think the rest of our guys would be happier to see him go. He's simultaneous lazy/lackadaisical and a poor shooting high volume player--it can't feel good to be his teammate. Plus he got in a fight with McGee at a club so you have to assume he's combative.

The only thing your losing from getting rid of Blatche today is offensive volume. This is mitigated by having much better shooters pick up the slack and increasing your offensive efficiency at the position. Trade Blatche after the draft when you've got a promising young 4 to give his minutes to. Have that kid shoot ~10-12 high percentage shots a game until he becomes more offensively competent/confident and give the rest if Blatche's shots to Crawford/Young/Evans and the offense actually ends up being more efficient in the short term. Then that rookie develops and you find a good starting 3 in next year's class.

Who cares if we still lose a bunch of games next season (if it's played)? We all understand where we are in the process. We won 20 games with Andray Blatche, are you worried we might only win 16 next season? I'm sorry, but I just don't see how anything will be any worse from getting rid of the guy.

The more I think about it' date=' doesn't Landry bring you everything that Blatche does - except with more efficiency, consistency, effort, and intelligence?[/quote']

No. In fact he's smaller, has absolutely horrible rebounding numbers for a big, apparently doesn't block shots (he's not a guard no excuse for this), and in looking at his game log is just as inconsistent a scorer. He does have a much higher shot percentage though and doesn't even attempt a 3 point shot which is something I'd prefer to see from Blatche.

---------- Post added April-6th-2011 at 07:38 PM ----------

His shots will go to better shooters already on the team.

Currently entirely limited to guards. That's not good.

We lose nothing defensively from getting rid of him. Yi is about as big a stiff as you can find and were we really any worse defensively when he was starting instead of Blatche?

Yes. Significantly in fact if you watch the games. Yi doesn't appear to do anything but throw screens which can almost all be called illegal if the refs wanted to. He also appears to believe he's a 3 and not a 4, Blatche has a post game Yi does not.

Platoon Kevin Seraphin and Trevor Booker at the 4 if you're worried about defense and they're probably better than Blatche right now.

I'm not comfortable with no scoring production from the entire front line. Kevin Seraphin looks like a D league player on the court. Booker has had his moments but I'm not convinced he's anything more than depth at this point with an extremely limited offensive game. I'd like to see him develop next season because I think he can be an asset to this team.

Javale could pick up the slack in rebounding that Blatche's departure would create, as he demonstrated during the games Blatche was out. Not only that, any of those rookies I mentioned from before would be at least as effective rebounders as Blatche if not immediately better.
I think people underestimate Blatche's rebounding and over estimate McGee's. When McGee is asked to do more he gets in foul trouble.

Chances of getting the # 1 pick in the draft through today

1. Cleveland 250 combinations, 25.0% chance

2. Minnesota 199 combinations, 19.9% chance

3. Washington or Toronto 156 combinations, 15.6% chance

4. Washington or Toronto 119 combinations, 11.9% chance

5. Sacramento 88 combinations, 8.8% chance

Lol, you a Wiz fan now sf2k? This is the second time I've seen you use "we" when talking about them

The true test will be if he shows up the Spurs game next year wearing a Wall jersey or a Spurs hoodie.

He's still a huge lamewad for sporting Spurs gear at the Wiz/Spurs game this year.