Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Wall has a triple double like 5 games into his career (IIRC only Oscar Robertson got one faster). His injury/shoes kept him back initially.

Definitely agree about Wall enjoying Crawford though. You can tell they're already buddies. I see him laughing and hanging around Crawford much more than anyone else.

---------- Post added April-7th-2011 at 06:32 PM ----------

Oh and he had 29, 13 and 9 steals in the home opener--his DC debut.

(That's a top 3 live sports moment for me. Only after Strasburg's debut and Jordan dropping 50 as a Wiz a couple of days after xmas in '01)

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

I know I will probably get bashed for saying this, but me don't care, Wall and Crwaford will be a better Ellis and Curry than Ellis and Curry.

Don't get me wrong, all four can ball, but I think that Wall will be too much for teams to handle(at times I forget that he is a rookie :D ) and Crawford will only continue to get more comfortable, thus creating even better shots for himself.

I know it has been stated before, but the Hawks really screwed the pooch on this one.

[/color]Oh and he had 29, 13 and 9 steals in the home opener--his DC debut.

(That's a top 3 live sports moment for me. Only after Strasburg's debut and Jordan dropping 50 as a Wiz a couple of days after xmas in '01)

Mine would have to be one of those games (think Lakers and Suns) where Gil dropped like 60 points and a dagggggger.

Federov's goal in game 7 to beat the Rangers was pretty awesome.

CP's TD from his first play from scrimmage on the skins (think it was tampa bay)

ST's fumble return for a TD in the playoffs against Tampa Bay

but my number one might have actually been when we won the lottery last year and I know we'd get the guy who will turn into the best guard in the league.....does that count?

---------- Post added April-7th-2011 at 08:07 PM ----------

I know I will probably get bashed for saying this, but me don't care, Wall and Crwaford will be a better Ellis and Curry than Ellis and Curry.

Don't get me wrong, all four can ball, but I think that Wall will be too much for teams to handle(at times I forget that he is a rookie :D ) and Crawford will only continue to get more comfortable, thus creating even better shots for himself.

I know it has been stated before, but the Hawks really screwed the pooch on this one.

I doubt you will find too many non-Warrior fans who will bash you for saying this. John Wall will be the best guard in the league in a few years and Crawford looks really promising.

I doubt the Warriors will keep both Ellis and Curry for the long haul. I see Ellis leaving for the money once his second contract is up.

Crawford was 9-28 (counting when he was fouled)...that shouldn't qualify as "really good" in anyone's book. He's still taking some really ill advised shots that look good when they go in, but really make you wonder when they don't.

That said, him and Blatche are really the only 2 players on the team right now that I want shooting a jump shot, so it's no big deal to me. Combine that with the fact that he's looking this good after playing huge minutes for the first time in his pro career and there is a lot of reason to be optimistic.

Crawford was 9-28 (counting when he was fouled)...that shouldn't qualify as "really good" in anyone's book. He's still taking some really ill advised shots that look good when they go in, but really make you wonder when they don't.

That said, him and Blatche are really the only 2 players on the team right now that I want shooting a jump shot, so it's no big deal to me. Combine that with the fact that he's looking this good after playing huge minutes for the first time in his pro career and there is a lot of reason to be optimistic.

Makes no sense too count shots he was fouled on. It's no question he shoots allot of shots.

Makes no sense too count shots he was fouled on. It's no question he shoots allot of shots.

Lol....

TS% is a fairly common metric for evaluating NBA players. I'd argue it makes far less sense NOT to take into account the shots a player takes simply due to the fact that they were fouled in the act.

29 points on 28 shots. Is more important than 9-29. Fouls drawn help your team and points are points. That said you can't jack that many shots up all the time, efficiency matters too.

Edited by Destino

Lol....

TS% is a fairly common metric for evaluating NBA players. I'd argue it makes far less sense NOT to take into account the shots a player takes simply due to the fact that they were fouled in the act.

It's a stupid stat makes no sense it's not a missed shot. If you get fouled you get free throws if you going too count the shot then I think you should count the free throws some how. Why penalize someone for helping the team it's rather stupid.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/212910/Morris_Twins_Declare_For_Draft_Hire_Agent

Kansas forwards Marcus and Markieff Morris are headed to the NBA.

"I have thoroughly enjoyed my three seasons as a Kansas Jayhawk, and consider it a privilege to have had the opportunity to play for Coach Self and his staff," Marcus Morris said in a statement released by Rival Sports Group – an agency based in California.

"As I move into the professional stage of my career, I will always remember my time as a Jayhawk," added Markieff Morris.

Jeff Goodman tweeted that the Morris twins have signed with agent Tony Dutt.

draftexpress has both of them gong in the top 20. And have us taking one of them with Atlanta's pick at 19:

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2011/

nbadraft.net has both going in the lottery:

http://www.nbadraft.net/2011mock_draft

Both of these Mocks are absolutely horrid in my opinion:

Draftexpress has Kanter and Terrance Jones undervalued. Jimmer doesn't get passed the Jazz at #12....he fills a need and he is Mormon...no way they would pass on him. I can't see Faried getting passed our 2nd first round pick...if he did, I'd be pissed!

Draftnet: I can't see the Warriors taking Jimmer when they pretty much have the same player in Curry; Both the Morris brothers are not going before Terrance Jones

draftnet does look far better in my opinion though. I'm not even gonna look at draftexpress anymore.

As others said, it's hardly fair to criticize him for shooting and getting fouled, especially when he drained all ten of his FTs. Also, I think he was fouled more than 5 times because he made a 3 point play at least once. He did shoot a technical too.

He was shooting well until the wheels started to completely come off in the third when the starters came out. He was going about 50% from the floor up until then.

Crawford is a highly inefficient player right now but I do expect this to improve. He needs to spend the offseason working on learning how to play off the ball like Young can. His efficiency will go up once his catch and shoot game improves.

I expect the same for Wall. He'll do much better next year simply based on the fact (and I hope) that he won't get ****ed by the refs when he gets hammered in the paint. We get no respect from the referees when our players drive into the paint.

Crawford and Wall both need to improve their shooting efficiency but really that's what you expect from rookies. Their shots aren't going to really be there and their decision making at times is going to be questionable. NBA players take a lot longer than most think to develop. John Wall is likely not to hit his "prime" until around his 6th year in the league.

Wall still looks 15 years old to me and his body has a lot of growing to do and muscle mass to gain. Plus this is his first season ever in his life playing this much ball and dealing with this travel schedule (which lets face it, has to be brutal to deal with for the first time). Jordan Crawford's body language looks absolutely exhausted to me in the 4th Qtr. He hasn't had the playing time Wall has enjoyed this season to develop and improve his cardio and overall physical condition as well.

These fitness issues aren't usually a focal point but consider how they affect mental sharpness and legs over a long season. Improving that alone will improve their efficiency and effectiveness in games. Nick Young when on the court looks sharp as hell at the end of the game, clearly his conditioning is where it needs to be and he's improved his body significantly. Wall and Crawford will do the same and enjoy the benefits that come along with that. I think both rookies have a bigger upside than Nick Young so I'm excited to see what the future holds. All said I think our back court is solid with that 3 man rotation.

Now if someone can point Blatche to a weight room and lock the door we'll be better off. No excuse for being out of shape when you're a professional athlete.

Edited by Destino

Conditioning has been an issue with Blatche his whole career. The moment he was drafted to the end of his 6th NBA season, fans, writers, coaches etc. have been waiting for him to get in shape.

One of the reasons I'm pretty much done with him on this team is just because he hasn't shown a positive linear growth as a player.

Edited by No Excuses

Conditioning has been an issue with Blatche his whole career. The moment he was drafted to the end of his 6th NBA season, fans, writers, coaches etc. have been waiting for him to get in shape.

One of the reasons I'm pretty much done with him on this team is just because he hasn't shown a positive linear growth as a player.

Exactly.

Which is why the "he's just injured" excuse is total bull****.

And I want to go back to what Blatche said a couple of days ago. I've been thinking about this. He said that missing three weeks with a sore shoulder (on a team that's tanking) has made him realize what he has to lose. Does anyone believe that ****? That the light went on for him there but it didn't go on when he was shot in the ****ing chest inches from his heart? Or when he was arrested for trying to pick up a whore at Thomas Circle? Give me a break. Duuude isss bulll****. Period.

You're right about conditioning being an issue with Andray his entire career....but by all reports (EG, Flip, Michael Lee etc.) he was busting his butt and was in very good shape before the injury occurred.

Look, if you guys (you, G.A.C.O.L.B etc.) want him out of here, that's fine.

Just do me a favor and tell me who you want that's comparable to him in terms of talent/production/age and is on a reasonable contract?

I've asked the same question on another message board and I haven't gotten a satisfactory answer yet. :2cents:

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

You're right about conditioning being an issue with Andray his entire career....but by all reports (EG, Flip, Michael Lee etc.) he was busting his ass and was in very good shape before the injury occurred.

Look, if you guys (you, G.A.C.O.L.B etc.) want him out of here, that's fine.

Just do me a favor and tell me who you want that's comparable to him in terms of talent/production/age and is on a reasonable contract?

I've asked the same question on another message board and I haven't gotten a satisfactory answer yet. :2cents:

We're at the point in Andray's career where talent/age needs to be thrown at the window. No player in the NBA makes a significant improvement from his sixth to his seventh season. What you see is what you get from Blatche now. He's had six years of professional training among the best of the best in the world. He won't be improving from this point on his career.

As far as his production, raw numbers look good but his efficiency is horrible. Really, this team won't lose much if it replaces a guy who scores 16 points a game at 43% shooting. The entire notion that Blatche is a good offensive player is not true. He's shot horribly on mid range jumpers his entire career. Yet last year, 65% of his offensive shots were mid range jumpers. Again this year, the number is the exact same. The injury isn't making things different. He shoots jumpers but he doesn't make them at a good clip, but he still shoots them. As good as his passing is supposed to be, his turnover to assist ration isn't good.

As far as rebounding and defense. He rebounds at a really mediocre rate. He doesn't provide any kind of rebounding presence in the paint and he never has in his career. He's very very mediocre. Defenseively he is abysmal. Lazy, doesn't rotate, doesn't challenge his man for position down low and often doesn't box out. One of the Wizards blogs did a good job of highlighting just how lazy he is on defense.

While I agree that a replacement is currently not on the roster, that shouldn't stop us from trading him. He's a lazy player with a knack for embarrassing this franchise almost every season by doing stupid things. He's not a good locker room presence and he absolutely hurts the team when he is on the floor. Keeping him on the roster has the same effect as keeping him on it, this team ain't winning **** with Blatche. I'd much rather keep the roster spot open for competition between players who actually want it. Plus, I'm 100% positive that our next draft pick will be used on a PF anyways.