Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

First things first Ted needs to rename the team the Bullets again.

Most definitely. Last night I caught myself thinking during the game about how our name is just absurd. Celtics, Bulls, Lakers, even Blazers and Rockets are cool names tied into the history of the game. Can you ever see yourself saying something like, "the storied tradition of the Wizards" or "John Wall is proud to be a Wizard"?

Switching to Wizards was a lamentable decision in the first place. It's time to go back to the Bullets because that's cool. It feels like it should be part of the league's tradition. Plus John Wall speeding bullet puns are in order and I want to read those on ESPN for the next decade.

I'd like Bullets more than anything.

But if that isn't an option. I'd be ok with the Senators or......Capitals. Take the current Caps logo but change the hockey stick in it to be something like the bullets-hands logo.

Washington Hockey Capitals. Washington Hoops Capitals.

This used to happen in a city all the time. Is there a rule against it?

The Redskins are the most popular team in D.C., but D.C. is really a basketball town. If the Wizards could ever be consistently competitive, people would be all over them. Hell even in the playoff years with Gil and the "Big 3" games were almost always sold out and some of those playoff games had awesome atmospheres. Ultimately though you have to WIN. I think with Wall we can build a foundation to contend for years.

I look at Rose and I pray we're going to see that from Wall in the coming years!

---------- Post added April-12th-2011 at 07:58 PM ----------

Not the name debate again? I like the name Wizards and feel like if we start winning again, then it'll catch on too. I never liked the Bullets name but it didn't make me not root for them. Honestly, this team could be named just about anything short of the turds and I'd probably be buying jerseys.

[/color]Not the name debate again? I like the name Wizards and feel like if we start winning again, then it'll catch on too. I never liked the Bullets name but it didn't make me not root for them. Honestly, this team could be named just about anything short of the turds and I'd probably be buying jerseys.

You cant be serious. The Wizards are one of the top 5 worst team names in all of sports.

It's not just the Wizards and basketball. There is the same kind of atmosphere around the Nats too. They have the two young phenoms but they also have quality young players at catcher, SS, and 2B plus studs in the bullpen and a young ace in the making in Zimmermann. Then they've got star veterans at 3b and RF. They've got important greybeards like Pudge. They've got a plan to build and their roster construction makes sense. They're well coached, play good defense, improve from year to year, and its only a matter of time before they start seriously contending.

The Caps are also here to stay too. Each year they are good they become less and less of a novelty and the city falls even more in love with them. The quirky and likable owner and coach plus a superstar phenom is a hell of a formula to win fans. If they win a championship they'll cement my interest, that's for sure and I haven't seriously followed hockey since I was a kid.

If he doesn't get a star QB who can take us to the playoffs on a consistent basis Dan Snyder is going to steadily lose our interest to the other franchises.

Edited by stevemcqueen1

I look at Rose and I pray we're going to see that from Wall in the coming years!

Wall is a different kind of player than Derrick Rose. I think he probably has the ability to play like Rose but that's not his game.

And I couldn't disagree with you more on the Wizards name.

I'd like Bullets more than anything.

But if that isn't an option. I'd be ok with the Senators or......Capitals. Take the current Caps logo but change the hockey stick in it to be something like the bullets-hands logo.

Washington Hockey Capitals. Washington Hoops Capitals.

This used to happen in a city all the time. Is there a rule against it?

Senators isn't a possibility. See Nationals, Washington.

And I really don't like the idea of sharing a name with a hockey team. Esp when the hockey team came first. And where did it happen all the time? The only instance I can think of is the baseball and football New York Giants

First things first Ted needs to rename the team the Bullets again.

If you all want the name changed back to Bullets, do your part to make it happen. Email Ted and break it down logically. History, community, money.

They just talked about Wall's guarantee of us making the playoffs next season on PTI. Kornheiser said he wasn't buying it because not 3 of our current players will be on the team next year. Kornheiser hasn't been paying attention to us apparently (although you can't really blame him). We've got a foundation. Wall, Crawford, and Booker will all definitely be back so there goes his theory. Javale is probably here to stay too unless someone really surprises us with a nice offer. Blatche will probably be tough to deal so I'd expect him to be back. I also doubt we'll give up on Seraphin so soon. I think we're pretty much stuck with Rashard too (can he be bought out?) so by my count that's about 7 guys who should be back next season. It'd also be nice to keep either Mo Evans or Othyus Jeffers around too. I'd also look at keeping around that other d league guy we just signed with the hunched look whose name I can't remember.

Outside of the Wizards beat reporters like Michael Lee, local sports journalists are an utter joke when it comes to the team. Also true of the Nats. If they're not overwhelmingly popular, they don't follow them. They'll act like they do, but their ranting and raving is completely out of their ass.

106.7. Is the one that bothers me the most. They're supposed to be the radio home of the Wiz and they'll have shows right before the Wizards broadcast begins where the host has no clue. ****ing about not keeping Adam Morrison for example. It's beyond embarrassing.

The Redskins are the most popular team in D.C., but D.C. is really a basketball town.

People always laugh at me when I say that.

I really could care less about the team being called the Wizards. I just hate the colors. I will say this though, if the Wizards changes colors and/or names, the Mystics have to do the same. :2cents:

People always laugh at me when I say that.

I really could care less about the team being called the Wizards. I just hate the colors. I will say this though, if the Wizards changes colors and/or names, the Mystics have to do the same. :2cents:

Considering that Leonsis owns them as well, it wouldn't be an issue.

Considering that Leonsis owns them as well, it wouldn't be an issue.

Yep. That is why I said any change should be for both teams.

I really think a player like Enes Kanter is what this team could use. However, I can't help but think about what is going on in Portland with Greg Oden. Dude had so much potential, but he just can't get on the court. Same thing with Yao too. He had his run, but now dude is just done. I guess Shaq was able to avoid any long lasting injuries in his prime because of his thick build. Kanter kind looks built, but I just don't know.

With all that said, he is worth the risk.

Giants, Cardinals, Steelers were first the Pirates. I believe when Colorado got an MLB team, they named it the Rockies...like the NHL team that left town to NJ.

Its not that rare. That's why I think Senators is a good idea. Do the Nationals own the name? Or do the Rangers for MLB? If its the Rangers, it shouldn't matter. If its the Nats, aren't the Learners minority owners in Monumental Sports?

Giants, Cardinals, Steelers were first the Pirates. I believe when Colorado got an MLB team, they named it the Rockies...like the NHL team that left town to NJ.

Its not that rare. That's why I think Senators is a good idea. Do the Nationals own the name? Or do the Rangers for MLB? If its the Rangers, it shouldn't matter. If its the Nats, aren't the Learners minority owners in Monumental Sports?

Yes, the Rangers own the name and yeah, the Lerners are minority owners in Monumental Sports.

So the New Jersey Devils used to be the Colorado Rockies? I did not know that. Are you sure that's true?

When the Expos moved here there was talk about naming them the Senators as the two previous vaseball teams were. But the District scrapped that. See their license plate: Taxation Without Representation. There are no DC senators.

So the New Jersey Devils used to be the Colorado Rockies? I did not know that. Are you sure that's true?

When the Expos moved here there was talk about naming them the Senators as the two previous vaseball teams were. But the District scrapped that. See their license plate: Taxation Without Representation. There are no DC senators.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

:ols:

As I remember it, Senators was the supposed new name. They had something worked out worked out with Texas. But part of the future stadium deal was that they didn't name them that because of the representation issue.

That is just stupid. The Nationals kind sounds good now, but when they first announced it I was like :puke:

The best, or worst, thing they was forget the "o" on the jersey. The word "Natinal" is too funny.

I heard the name Mystics isn't on the new uni's. Instead they have some company name? They pimped out the uniform for sponsorship dollars. I haven't seen it yet but it's on the internet.

And Ted announced at the beginning if the season that the Wizards are going back to red, white and blue next year.

As far as the name goes, imo it's Bullets or bust. Anything else is unacceptable and we might as well stay as the Wizards.

I heard the name Mystics isn't on the new uni's. Instead they have some company name? They pimped out the uniform for sponsorship dollars. I haven't seen it yet but it's on the internet.

And Ted announced at the beginning if the season that the Wizards are going back to red, white and blue next year.

As far as the name goes, imo it's Bullets or bust. Anything else is unacceptable and we might as well stay as the Wizards.

I expressed my opinion to Ted about the name.:)

They sure did put the sponsor on the uniform. Jesus...

040911-WNBA-Washington-Mystics-Uniforms-JW_2011040914193030_660_320.jpg

I guess if you need extra cash and you're going to do it, better to do it with a team that nobody really cares about. I'd be livid if he did that with the Wizards uni's.

---------- Post added April-13th-2011 at 12:23 AM ----------

I expressed my opinion to Ted about the name.:)

That's all we can do. Just keep drilling it home. I think if he realizes how much the fans really, truly want it (and how much money he can make off of merchandising) he'll change it. There's an online petition going around but I think just simple emails from fans can do more.

106.7. Is the one that bothers me the most. They're supposed to be the radio home of the Wiz and they'll have shows right before the Wizards broadcast begins where the host has no clue. ****ing about not keeping Adam Morrison for example. It's beyond embarrassing.

you mean like when Chad dukes suggested the wizards change their name to Warriors? Let that sink in for a minute. lol

you mean like when Chad dukes suggested the wizards change their name to Warriors? Let that sink in for a minute. lol

Yeah I hard that. The sad thing is, Chad Dukes is one of the more knowledgeable on air personalities at the station when it comes to the Wizards. Let that sink in. What a disaster :doh:

Kevin and Rock's suggestion was the Regulators.

The Mystics jerseys are pretty nice. I am surprised it took them so long to put a sponsor on their jersey. I think a couple of WNBA teams are already doing it.

It was a picture on the internet with the Wizards logo in red white and blue.

Here it is

wizardslogo.jpg

Edited by MLSKINS

The Mystics jerseys are pretty nice. I am surprised it took them so long to put a sponsor on their jersey. I think a couple of WNBA teams are already doing it.

It was a picture on the internet with the Wizards logo in red white and blue.

Here it is

that was just a fan creation, I read somewhere a while back the design will be different.

Oh I didn't know that other teams had already put sponsors on their jerseys too. I know there are teams named after sponsors in the MLS though (NY Red Bulls for example.) Still, I think that's horrible.

As far as that jacket goes, the company that sells that jacket put that together. I think it was a creation of their own and they took it down upon request.

---------- Post added April-13th-2011 at 01:28 AM ----------

I've become such a beast with Wall in NBA2K. Just got his 2nd triple double of the year. 24 points, 10 rebounds, 22 assists, 4 steals and a block. Only 3 turnovers. Also held Tony Parker to 10 points on 4-12 shooting.

Top All Star reserve and just snapped Lebron's 3 month steak of being Player of the Month in the Eastern Conference. 10th in scoring, 1st in assists, 3rd best rebounding PG and I've taken my turnovers per game from 6.5 to 3.5.

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.