Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I've wanted Randy fired since before last season, still do. I've wanted Grunfeld fired for a lot longer, he doesn't really believe this team can be great and he looks for "good enough". I really can't stand the fact that he's been allowed to keep his job for 12 years.

Despite all that, I'm not rooting for the wizards to lose. Can't do it. As soon as the game starts all that other stuff gets put on hold.

• Like 1

Best case scenario is a good playoff run for Wall, Beal, Porter and Gortat (our good, youngish core) and miserable performances from the "depth" EG has assembled. That would also entail possibly winning a series and getting swept hard by the Hawks. I believe such a scenario ought to be enough for Ted to realize roster construction of this team is capped and Wittman is a baboon way out of his league. 

Realistically, I think TOR beat us in 5-6 given past history. They have an equally good PG, probably a better SG (for now) in Demar. Ross was atrocious in the playoffs last season but should be better now. Lou Williams is a notorious wiz killer. We also can't guard Patrick Patterson with anyone but probably Pierce or Hump. Amir Johnson finds ways to hurt us with his good 2 way play. Val....Gortat actually plays him well I think. 

But yah, the spacing TOR creates destroys us. They also defend us well, but that's also easy to do since it's like some creature with anencephaly drew up our offense and rotation patterns. 

Now I'd like to see them win, but I see no logical reason to believe, especially going off the match-ups, depth and hilariously enough, the coaching. 

Ted can't claim "progress" this season unless we beat ATL. A 2nd round playoff victory should have been the mandate for those two to ensure their jobs. Not very likely we beat ATL in a 7 game series. They are machine when they want to be. 

Not according to the Toronto Sun....they are picking the Wiz in 6.

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/04/16/raptors-wizards-matchup

LOL at the way they spell center and defense.

I think we actually have better top end players than them. They are kidding themselves if they think Pierce, Nene, and Gortat aren't going to whip the asses of Ross, Hansbrough, and Valanciunas. They definitely need Amir Johnson, James Johnson, and Patrick Patterson to come up big to beat us. Those are their front court players that mess us up. Guard is a bit more in their favor. Wall can own Lowry but Derozan is better than Beal and Lou Williams smokes us. Playoff Beal might close the gap on DeRozan though.

The problem is more a contrast of style. We can't defend the three point line and they launch threes like a mug. Same for Atlanta, except that Atlanta also plays very disruptive D. We can't beat these teams scoring two at a time. And both will have home court.

• Like 1

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/237470/NBA-Projects-Salary-Cap-To-Reach-$108M-For-17-18-Season

NBA Projects Salary Cap To Reach $108M For 17-18 Season

The NBA has sent a new set of salary cap projections to all 30 teams.

For the 2015-16 season, the cap is projected at $67.1 million with the tax at $81.6 million.

For the 2016-17 season, the cap is projected at $89 million with the tax at $108 million.

For the 2017-18 season, the cap is projected to reach $108 million with the tax at $127 million.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH
  • Like 1

Centre and defence are from the British spellings, since Canada was once a British colony. We have fellow Redskin fans from across the pond that spell it the same way.

Yeah I'm familiar with Canadian ways. My college roommate was half Canadian I guess because his dad was Canadian. And I used to play Halo with a Canadian. He was one of the good ones. They also spell color with a u. Such alien ways, but I have a dream that one day their people and our people will be able to live among each other, free from fear and persecution.

• Like 1

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure you wouldn't get that kind of rah rah nonsense about any D.C. team from the local newspapers.  It just kind of adds to the amateur air that the Raptors have.  They try so hard to be what they are.

A while back, when I talked about the broadcast crews of several teams serving as hype men for the team, I was talking about stuff like that in verbal form.  It's funny, as bad as we've been and for so long, we get Buck and Phil.  It's one of the few ways in which Wizards fans are lucky.

Edited by stevemcqueen1