Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

There are scuffles and little fights all the time in the NBA Chachie. Very few involve suspensions. Blake Griffin gets into something with somebody every other game. I think you're overblowing this.

Apparently the league is too. I knew it was coming the second he went for the muay thai clinch. That was the line-crosser. It wasn't a strike but it was clearly violent aggression. No-brainer.

Gotta go big. Otherwise the Bulls will score 36 second chance points per quarter.

We could use Gooden's 3 pt shooting anyway.  :)

Apparently the league is too. I knew it was coming the second he went for the muay thai clinch. That was the line-crosser. It wasn't a strike but it was clearly violent aggression. No-brainer.

He got suspended for head-butting. No brainer in that only someone with no brain could see what happened and consider that a headbutt. If that was a headbutt, then what the **** did Jimmy Butler do if not head butt him back?

We got screwed. Congratualtions Adam Silver, king of the **** league. Congratulations Chicago. You're getting all the help you can get from the refs and the league office and your bull**** team is still going to lose.

Did anyone else just hear Shaq call himself "Blackie Chan?"  LMAO

He got suspended for head-butting. No brainer in that only someone with no brain could see what happened and consider that a headbutt. If that was a headbutt, then what the **** did Jimmy Butler do if not head butt him back?

We got screwed. Congratualtions Adam Silver, king of the **** league. Congratulations Chicago. You're getting all the help you can get from the refs and the league office and your bull**** team is still going to lose.

I don't think it was the "headbutt" that got him suspended. It was everything after that. We did not get screwed. Not only that but if you look at the footage again, Nene was ready to throw a punch at the very end. He was in fight mode, no question. 

I hate saying it but this is fair. He simply blew it.

The part that enrages me is that Butler wasn't even his man to cover or his cover man. So stupid. So, so dumb.

Edited by Chachie
  • Like 1

Who the hell is David Falk?

Did anyone else just hear Shaq call himself "Blackie Chan?"  LMAO

I don't think it was the "headbutt" that got him suspended. It was everything after that. We did not get screwed. Not only that but if you look at the footage again, Nene was ready to throw a punch at the very end. He was in fight mode, no question. 

I hate saying it but this is fair. He simply blew it.

The part that enrages me is that Butler wasn't even his man to cover or his cover man. So stupid. So, so dumb.

I'm seeing it was for headbutting and grabbing Butler.  What head butt?  The grab was certainly out of line and he got tossed for it, but that **** shouldn't be enough for a suspension.  He didn't even hit Butler!

Nene should have just elbowed him in the throat.  Apparently that's fine.  This suspension is pretty damn capricious and absurd.

• Like 1

I'm seeing it was for headbutting and grabbing Butler.  What head butt?  The grab was certainly out of line and he got tossed for it, but that **** shouldn't be enough for a suspension.  He didn't even hit Butler!

Nene should have just elbowed him in the throat.  Apparently that's fine.  This suspension is pretty damn capricious and absurd.

There's no question that players should have been suspended in other situations and it's easy to see that the league wants every series to go 7 games. Essentially, I agree with you in spirit but Nene knows better. Especially when it's a big man picking on a 2-guard. 

Stupid, stupid spot to put one's self in and it was totally unnecessary. I hope we blow them out tomorrow just to prove a point to the league. "We're for real."

Now I'm reading that the suspension was for Nene headbutting Butler and a neck grab in an attempt to throw him down.  WTF?  They jawed with each other and went head to head, then they separated and Nene grabbed his neck and pulled his head close and said something to him.  Then they were separated by teammates and the official.

They didn't headbutt each other.  If they did, their heads wouldn't have been glued together like they were, there would have been a blow.  And when the hell did Nene try and throw Butler to the ground?

That is a retarded explanation/interpretation of what happened, it just looks like BS attempt to justify a stupid punishment.

I hope the Wizards kick this Butler guys ass up and down the court tomorrow.

I'm not mad at Butler.  I don't think he or Nene did anything that bad.  I'm a little mad that--since what Nene did was considered a headbutt and got him suspended--Butler got off with nothing for "headbutting" him back.  Not mad at Butler though, mad at the inconsistency and stupidity of the application of the rules.

But I don't care for Joakim Noah's clown show crowing about it after the game.  Dude is such a little punk.  I hope he gets embarrassed again tomorrow night.

Edited by stevemcqueen1

Nene let himself get taken out of a game.  You can't do that in a series where the refs seem to be pulling very strongly for the other team.  There's little chance that Washington will get the benefit of the doubt since the league is already trying to weight things Chicago's way.

As a leader and savvy vet he should know this.

On the other hand, with his bad knee getting an extra day off may be really good for him :)

Steve, go back and rewatch it. Nene most certainly headbutted butler. Butler just did not recoil back from it and their heads stayed tigether.

To say that nene just grabbed his neck and pulled him close is blatantly minimizing what he did.

Steve, go back and rewatch it. Nene most certainly headbutted butler. Butler just did not recoil back from it and their heads stayed tigether.

To say that nene just grabbed his neck and pulled him close is blatantly minimizing what he did.

He was poised to punch too. Quick reachback with fist ready. He's lucky he never got a chance to throw or we'd be cooked.

Nene did not simply pull them close. That was a muay thai plum and when he pulled Butlers head down and I thought he was going to do him like Silva did Franklin. Didn't help that he loaded up that right hand as they were getting separated either. Dude played right into what the bulls wanted and gave them a win, and reasons to feel good about getting another. If we lose this series I want Nene gone as fast as possible.

Edited by Destino
  • Like 1

The ****ing NBA is a joke. Noah is the DPOY so he is allowed to set moving screens and maul people under the basket with no calls. Hinrich did worse to Beal in fame 2 than Nene did to Butler. Noah got head to head with Ariza in game 2. Noah elbowed Arizona in back of his head in game 2. And somehow they have come out unscathed from all of the scraps. Beal gets a foul and double Ts. Arizona and Noah get double Ts. Nene gets thrown out and suspended. Ridiculous.

• Like 1

I seem to recall this happening in last year's playoffs, resulting in no ejections or suspensions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMCujsZFZas

I don't see any strike there, and even the entanglement that led to them going to the ground seemed unintentional. There was some grabbing onto each other on the ground, but that was it.

Nene forcefully moved his head through space into the head of Butler. That's a headbutt. Butler then remained contact and pushed back against Nene as Nene pushed forward, that's NOT head butting. A headbutt is a strike, even if it's not a strike with a hand. He may not have headbutted him hard. He may've not done it very forcefully. He may not have had much power behind it. But I can absolutely see why the NBA would classify it as such.

Combine the strike with the face he forcefully grabbed Butler in an offensive and purposeful manner, as opposed to what seemed like simple entanglement following a boxing out by the two in the video, which further exacerbated it.

Had he not done the headbutt, I think there would've been no suspension. If he had ONLY done the headbutt, I think it may've had a slightly better chance of not being a suspension. But when you do the headbutt, and follow it up with additional aggressive action, it's not surprising the suspension occurred.

Edited by ZRagone

Nene did not simply pull them close. That was a muay thai plum and when he pulled Butlers head down and I thought he was going to do him like Silva did Franklin. Didn't help that he loaded up that right hand as they were getting separated either. Dude played right into what the bulls wanted and gave them a win, and reasons to feel good about getting another. If we lose this series I want Nene gone as fast as possible.

Amen.  You can't have a guy making $14 mil a year, supposed to be a veteran leader, hurt all the damn time, pulling a stunt like this.