Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

11 minutes ago, CobraCommander said:

Well, as a DC taxpayer I will say Ted can pound sand as far as improvements to the faciltiy he owns. Unless he wants to foot the bill for having my house painted. Then we can talk.

Yeah, I’m definitely not defending Ted. I just finished reading the article after seeing someone say he was upset with the rent. I was sure he owned the arena.  So I was confused about that.

Just now, Ball Security said:

Yeah, I’m definitely not defending Ted. I just finished reading the article after seeing someone say he was upset with the rent. I was sure he owned the arena.  So I was confused about that.

I get that it's a symbiotic relationship with the city and that having the wizards/caps there revitalized that part of the city. But this is just a power move on Ted's part the save some money. Unless he really wants to move them to VA and there's really nothing left to talk about. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

I'll be honest, he wasn't on my radar before the draft, and he has bust written all over him. Hope I'm wrong.

I don’t know if he’s a bust or not, scouts have forgotten more about ball than I’ve ever understood… but I tend to have a pessimistic view of unskilled athletes drafted into the nba.  That said, maybe Bilal has some skills.  I can’t tell based on what I’ve seen. 

4 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Exact same way I felt about Deni, his free throw percentage before he got here was atrocious, that's not easy to fix if you having that kinda trouble with those.

And that's why I'm high on Bilal's potential as a shooter.

He shot 76% from the line in the Euroleague.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

I'm sold on Bilal.

Dude's potential is the ceiling, and there are several indicator metrics that you love to see in decent shape (like free-throw %)

When playing against kids his own age he put up numbies.

When brought to the pros his play time was steadily increased over the season.

Dude is only 18

He has some growing to do but when you compare him to some of our other recent picks who seemed to have a hard cap on them its easy to see how different he is.

I just hope he can log a bunch on mins early on.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

I'm sold on Bilal.

Dude's potential is the ceiling, and there are several indicator metrics that you love to see in decent shape (like free-throw %)

When playing against kids his own age he put up numbies.

When brought to the pros his play time was steadily increased over the season.

Dude is only 18

He has some growing to do but when you compare him to some of our other recent picks who seemed to have a hard cap on them its easy to see how different he is.

When Dawkins was on Sheehan's show this morning, he kept on stressing Bilal's character traits as well. They think he is a worker

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

Me too........Im not a fan of the "let him sit most of the year" fan base. **** that, unless he's absolutely horrible, let him get a **** load of PT. We rebuilding, so let the young boy get plenty of work. 

Win or lose, I watch about 90% of our games every year. If Im watchin this ****, dont have me watching Anthony Gill or whoever getting PT, with our lottery pick on the bench.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Coulibaly sounds good from an athletic perspective and the fact that he can be a great defender.  But taking someone in the top 10 and trading up a pick to get the guy, I would hope that his offensive skills would be a little bit more potent.  I'm aware that he's 18, coming into his own, etc.  But whenever I hear someone that gets drafted needs to improve their shooting, IMO, that's just not encouraging.

He's basically a french league one year wonder and the scouts made him skyrocketing his way up the draft board. I'm wondering what was his draft status amongst other teams.

"Power is nothing without control", he's got the all package but it's like Wembanyama there are question marks about them. Nevertheless, I wish them the best.

Manuel De Carvalho, coach of Bilal Coulibaly since he was 10 years old “There is pride, obviously, we are very happy for him. Bilal, before being a great basketball player, is a great guy. He deserves everything that happens to him, he is an honest, hardworking, intelligent person. I first got him when he was ten. You couldn't miss his talent. It has always been fluid, easy. He learned very quickly. Bilal has always been an extremely trainable boy. When you have players like him, everything is easier. »

Edited by FrFan
  • Like 3

I totally get the concern, the league is full of wash outs who were drafted on athletic ability and upside. The odds strong suggest he will never be a very good to great player.  But after watching them take the safe pick, with a lower floor but topping out at role players, I like the big swing approach.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, FrFan said:

He's basically a french league one year wonder and the scouts made him skyrocketing his way up the draft board. I'm wondering what was his draft status amongst other teams.

From various reports, multiple teams were attempting to trade up to get him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

When I think of the NBA draft, I think of how shocked I was that Westbrook was a 4 pick.  A player who barely did anything in college. And how OJ Mayo. who scored at a better rate in college was drafted ahead of him.  

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Rocky21 said:

I have been more impressed with Will Dawkins 1 minute after I heard him speak than I was with anyone affiliated with the Bullets / Wizards for the last 20 years.

I honestly think Tom Sheppard's interview a few months ago on the Craig Hoffman show was one of the contributing factors in letting him go. He came off as arrogant and combative. Not a good look when your track record looks like ****.

• Like 2