Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

13 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I am under no illusion that this team will be good next season or maybe even the one after that. But what did anyone think that getting out from a ****ty contract like that would look like?

It’s humorous because people have demanded a cleaning of the house and anyone with any ounce of objectivity understood Beal had to go, and that it would be a ****ty deal, but it had to happen. 

now they’ve hired competent people actually rebuilding and the first thing they did was move Beal. 

and everyone’s pissing and moaning 😂 

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

They are going to need their own draft picks because those are the only high picks they're getting.

They needed to get a return package they could use to help pick swap with Portland at 3 in order to jump start the rebuild, but that was never going to happen with Beal flexing his NTC and picking Phoenix, who had zero worthwhile assets to flip.

The rebuild will take as long as it takes for them to get a high lotto pick in the right year.  That could be next year or it could be well outside the time frame the new GM has to remain employed.

Hopefully the next kid they start the build around is a big forward or a center.  Tired of trying to build around scoring wings and point guards who don't play defense.

• Like 1

It would take five years before contention if they got Wembanyama this month.  But the clock in honest contention isn't what we're worried about.  You can watch a bad team lose so long as they've got their foundation drafted and you believe there is a chance at future contention with what they are building.  The Wall years in 2011 and 2012 were still fun.

What we're concerned with is how long it'll take to start an honest build.  To get that high lotto foundation player.  We could be scuffling for years never getting that guy, or we could get him next off-season.  No way to know, but they're in a situation to have the worst record in the NBA next season and get a top 4 pick.

10 minutes ago, Destino said:

If they plan on building around lottery picks earned during the rebuild five years is optimistic. Takes three years for drafted stars to hit their stride. Wizards have no assets and no stars for any future drafted player to join. This is essentially “the process” all over again, but we just traded our best player for theater tickets.  

"Our best player" wasn't that good to begin with.  He's now a #3 or #4 in Phoenix.

I can see it taking 5+ years, I can see it taking 3.  So much can happen either way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Destino said:

If they plan on building around lottery picks earned during the rebuild five years is optimistic. Takes three years for drafted stars to hit their stride. Wizards have no assets and no stars for any future drafted player to join. This is essentially “the process” all over again, but we just traded our best player for theater tickets.  

This. Look how long it took the Sixers with the process. It has been quick for OKC because they went into it with SGA and a ton of draft assets before taking on the toxic contracts

17 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

It would take five years before contention if they got Wembanyama this month.  But the clock in honest contention isn't what we're worried about.  You can watch a bad team lose so long as they've got their foundation drafted and you believe there is a chance at future contention with what they are building.  The Wall years in 2011 and 2012 were still fun.

What we're concerned with is how long it'll take to start an honest build.  To get that high lotto foundation player.  We could be scuffling for years never getting that guy, or we could get him next off-season.  No way to know, but they're in a situation to have the worst record in the NBA next season and get a top 4 pick.

I would love for them to take chances on young productive role players in trades to see if those guys can evolve into stars. Guys like Kuminga and Terrance Mann fit that bill for me. If they can get Mann back as part of a package for CP3, that would make me happier

56 minutes ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

I appreciate your optimism.

From what I can tell, there's a lot to be optimistic about.  Ted gave up the reigns, it looks like he's hired some competent basketball people.  Beal (who, I have to agree with some other sentiments in this thread, I never really cared for) is finally gone.  Yeah, it's gonna suck for a year or two but the Wizards have sucked for a long time with some intermittent spurts of mediocrity and excitement.

Here's the deal: I hate it when my sports teams lie to me.  The Commies have been doing this forever, THIS IS OUR YEAR, WE GOT CARSON WENTZ, WE FINALLY GOT A QUARTERBACK, WE ARE GONNA BE GOOD.  I think the Wiz seem to have done that, too.  Deep down, you know the likelihood of the Commies being above .500 is a pipe dream, same with the Wizards winning 50+ games.  

I'd much rather have a team go through a implosion, sell off everything they possibly can, admit that they're going to be awful and build from the ground up rather than seeing them pretend like they're playoff contenders.  IMO, that's what they were with Beal:  WEVE GOT A GUY WHO CAN SCORE A LOT AND MADE SOME ALL STAR TEAMS, WE CAN COMPETE!  And they never really could.  

I'd much rather do it this way.  IMO, the Wizards just got way more interesting over the past 36 hours.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

20 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

"Our best player" wasn't that good to begin with.  He's now a #3 or #4 in Phoenix.

I can see it taking 5+ years, I can see it taking 3.  So much can happen either way.

Doesn’t matter if he was or was not that good. Last year they had three coveted players under contract, and they’ve converted that into a sack of trail mix and vague promises of a plan.

• Haha 1

I've been in the trade Beal party the last couple years. I'm just not happy with the return. And now including Goodwin and Todd in the trade... Two young, cheap players that may have some unreached potential.

Edited by CRobi21

5 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

That's what they've been since Wall got hurt. Only that vague plan was all in for 8th Seed. 

I get that no one wants to be the 8th seed, but when the team is winning 17 games a season those extra second round draft picks will prove to be cold comfort.

1 minute ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Coveted, eh?

Unicorn, Kuzma, and Beal. 

3 minutes ago, Destino said:

I get that no one wants to be the 8th seed, but when the team is winning 17 games a season those extra second round draft picks will prove to be cold comfort.

Unicorn, Kuzma, and Beal. 

Those aren't the point. The 2nd rounders do have a little more value now. But not much. This was 100% about cleaning up Ted's mess before they can map out their plan. Yeah, 17 wins for a lotto pick where they probably won't land the #1 sucks. This feels bigger than just fixing a roster. This could be about fixing the brand Ted hasn't done much to improve too. They want a clean slate to start with. If their plan is to suck, get some high draft picks. Invest better in development and scouting. Then when they are ready, make a run in free agency. That's a better plan than picking around 8-19 and coming away with a Troy Brown Jr and Chris Singleton. 

That doesn't even cover the coaching staff. For all we know, they are using this year to identify who they want for the future. and, might as well trade Porzingis and sign/trade Kuzma if possible. Might even up get more from those deals than Beal.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, CRobi21 said:

I've been in the trade Beal party the last couple years. I'm just not happy with the return. And now including Goodwin and Todd in the trade... Two young, cheap players that may have some unreached potential.

Todd is absolute trash and he is not an NBA player. That was another Tommy special giving that guy 4 guaranteed years. It is a positive we get his salary, albeit small, off the books.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, method man said:

Todd is absolute trash and he is not an NBA player. That was another Tommy special giving that guy 4 guaranteed years. It is a positive we get his salary, albeit small, off the books.

Yup.  He's was the proverbial 2 years away from being 2 years away.

Kispert & Deni are the only young guys worth anything on the roster.  Johnny Davis IMO is a huge bust.  Winger probably deals him next.  Davis has no value aside from being salary filler.  I'd take a future 2nd for him.  

1 hour ago, mhd24 said:

Yup.  He's was the proverbial 2 years away from being 2 years away.

Kispert & Deni are the only young guys worth anything on the roster.  Johnny Davis IMO is a huge bust.  Winger probably deals him next.  Davis has no value aside from being salary filler.  I'd take a future 2nd for him.  

Ehh...I'd give JD this year to see what he has. I don't think the guy is a future star or anything like that given his lack of athleticism but I think he could become a productive NBA player because he is a guy with high end work ethic. Remember he went from not doing much as a freshman to the conference POY as a sophomore in a great conference.

I would look at trading Deni. There is no point giving a second contract to him.

2 hours ago, method man said:

This. Look how long it took the Sixers with the process. It has been quick for OKC because they went into it with SGA and a ton of draft assets before taking on the toxic contracts

I would love for them to take chances on young productive role players in trades to see if those guys can evolve into stars. Guys like Kuminga and Terrance Mann fit that bill for me. If they can get Mann back as part of a package for CP3, that would make me happier

How many players "turn into stars"?  Seems pretty clear in their rookie or at most after their 2nd year that stars show to be stars.  

2 hours ago, @DCGoldPants said:

Those aren't the point. The 2nd rounders do have a little more value now. But not much. This was 100% about cleaning up Ted's mess before they can map out their plan. Yeah, 17 wins for a lotto pick where they probably won't land the #1 sucks. This feels bigger than just fixing a roster. This could be about fixing the brand Ted hasn't done much to improve too. They want a clean slate to start with. If their plan is to suck, get some high draft picks. Invest better in development and scouting. Then when they are ready, make a run in free agency. That's a better plan than picking around 8-19 and coming away with a Troy Brown Jr and Chris Singleton. 

That doesn't even cover the coaching staff. For all we know, they are using this year to identify who they want for the future. and, might as well trade Porzingis and sign/trade Kuzma if possible. Might even up get more from those deals than Beal.

Yup. This franchise has not signed a non top 3 pick to a second contract since god knows when. That is absolutely pathetic. It all starts with talent acquisition personnel. I did see a nugget that they are hiring a new analytics guy so it looks like they are building out the mid level of the org as well.