Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Don’t think his issue is athletic.  What I mean is that while he’s not a special athlete, he’s not slow either.  His handle is loose and he’s not anticipating the help defender before he makes his move.  I keep seeing him losing the ball or slamming the brakes when he gets even with his man and finds the center waiting on him.  He’s not seeing the moving parts like he needs to.  He’s also got a terribly slow crossover in that lowlight video, not because his foot speed but because its inefficient and sloppy.

reminds me of the struggles Beal had early on when he ran oddly (so oddly he had stress injuries from it) and couldn’t get by anyone.  Now he’s a better driving scorer than shooter.  

too early to panic but the early results aren’t positive.  

• Like 3

Don't know how many of you have access to the athletic, but Hollinger just wrote a piece that DESTROYS the Wizards:

https://theathletic.com/3418290/2022/07/13/beal-lillard-contracts-wizards-blazers/

Oh, and the Lowe & Marks had a podcast (I'll listen sometime this weekend maybe) that apparently was just as negative on the Wizards:

https://www.audacy.com/theteam980/sports/wizards/wizards-signed-bradley-beal-but-path-forward-still-murky

Leonsis is lucky Snyder is in the area.  He's the worst owner in the NBA.  Inane strategy of never tanking.  Every other roster in the NBA has a brighter future.  The Wiz are stuck in the treadmill and will never win with that idiot in charge.  If Beal was traded 2 years ago, this team could have properly tanked.  Last year's top lotto ALL look like studs (with the exception of Suggs) (Cade, Green, Mobley, Barnes, Giddey, Kominga, and Wagner). 

3 hours ago, Destino said:

His handle is loose and he’s not anticipating the help defender before he makes his move.  I keep seeing him loosing the ball or slamming the brakes when he gets even with his man and finds the center waiting on him.

Yeah that's what it looks like to me too.  That helper is ****ing him up and he can't find the open man and his handle is way too loose.  I don't think a lack of athleticism is his primary issue.  He is getting some space with his first step and he can play above the rim.  But that handle is not good and it needs to be way more fluid and confident, and that issue feeds into the inability to keep his eyes up and reading the floor while attacking.

You don't have to be that fast to be a great guard, but if you're not super explosive then you need great feel and a strong handle and/or some strength and a post game like Chauncey Billups had.  Looks like Davis is much more of a project on the offensive end than I hoped for.  It took Beal years to develop his handle.

47 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

Johnny Davis = Jarvis Hayes 

At least Hayes was an NBA caliber athlete who could jump (and had a nice looking jumper.  Too bad it never went in).  Davis won't last his rookie contract.  Hey Leonsis, this is what happens when you draft late lotto and will never tank.  The Wizards are stuck in mediocrity because of an asinine ownership mandate to compete and not rebuild.  The entire NBA knows that the Wizards are a joke and a true mom & pop type team.

The Pacers (who are actually competently run) decided that years of trying to compete (which was likewise driven by ownership to not tank) was futile and decided to rebuild.  They are already much further along than we are.  Haliburton, Duarte, and Mathidin is a heck of a young core to build around.  Plus, they will stink this year and get a chance at a high lotto next year.  They also have no bad contacts on their team. 

Edited by mhd24
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mhd24 said:

Don't know how many of you have access to the athletic, but Hollinger just wrote a piece that DESTROYS the Wizards:

https://theathletic.com/3418290/2022/07/13/beal-lillard-contracts-wizards-blazers/

Oh, and the Lowe & Marks had a podcast (I'll listen sometime this weekend maybe) that apparently was just as negative on the Wizards:

https://www.audacy.com/theteam980/sports/wizards/wizards-signed-bradley-beal-but-path-forward-still-murky

Leonsis is lucky Snyder is in the area.  He's the worst owner in the NBA.  Inane strategy of never tanking.  Every other roster in the NBA has a brighter future.  The Wiz are stuck in the treadmill and will never win with that idiot in charge.  If Beal was traded 2 years ago, this team could have properly tanked.  Last year's top lotto ALL look like studs (with the exception of Suggs) (Cade, Green, Mobley, Barnes, Giddey, Kominga, and Wagner). 

No one is worse than Dolan. I'm going to laugh at the knicks if they trade a ton for Mitchell. That backcourt would be laughably short. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Hersh said:

No one is worse than Dolan. I'm going to laugh at the knicks if they trade a ton for Mitchell. That backcourt would be laughably short. 

Maybe personally, but as an owner, Dolan has at least made the finals.  Also, he's won at least 50 games (something this team hasn't done in 40+ years).  Leonsis is the WORST owner in the NBA.  Dude has been in charge for 17 years and they have the 6th worst record despite a strategy of not tanking (they've only really tanked once (after the Arenas-Caron-Jamison years that led to Wall)).

OKC is a million times smarter and more ahead than this mom & pop organization.  I'd trade anyone on the roster straight up for Josh Giddey.  SGA, Giddey, and Chet (along with a really good young 3&D player in Dort), PLUS a million first rounders is much brighter than this stupid organization we are forced to root for.

Leonsis is an utter idiot.  His press conference touting his gaming team accomplishments was insane.  WHO CARES???  The local media (except for David Aldridge) can't be bothered to write critically on the strategy of trying to make the play-in.  Every team in the East (except for Charlotte (and only because of the Bridges issue)) has a brighter future:

The contenders:

1). Bucks

2). Celtics

3). Heat

4). 76ers

5). Nets (as long as they have KD, insane Kyrie, and Simmons)

The good teams with young stars:

6). Hawks

7). Raptors

8). Cleveland (smart FO that knew when to tank.  Mobely is a STUD)

The teams with better rosters and will win more than the Wiz:

9). Bulls (Last year may have been the peak, but they will win more)

The rebuilders:

10). Detroit (Ivey & Cade is a great start)

11). Orlando (Wagner was a home run pick.  Suggs looked bad last year, but he'll get time.  They are on their way)

12). Indiana (great young start to their rebuild (something their owner never permitted before.  Tyrese, Duarte, and their #5 pick from Zona is a great foundation.  They also have no bad longterm contracts)

The we have 1 young star:

13). Hornets (Bridges being a scumbag killed them.  They still have LaMelo).

14). Knicks (They want to win now.  Assuming they get Mitchell, they will vault over the Wizards).

The stupid-idiotic strategy of going for the play-in:

15). Wizards (Dumbest team in the NBA.  Has no strategy nor desire to ever try and win a title.  Leonsis is the worst)

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

Leonsis performs vastly better as an owner than a considerable percentage of Wizards “fans” perform as fans.

What??

Dude has routinely sold 2nd round picks for straight cash (including one that turned to be Jordan Clarkson).  Dude traded Andrew Nicholson (whom was signed for 4 years/24 million the off-season before and NEVER PLAYED because he was that bad) and a 1st rounder (that turned out to be Jarrett Allen) for a rental of Bogdan Bojonovich (whom his hand picked coach didn't play in a game 7 where Wall & Beal were so gassed because his FO could never field a bench) in order to save money on a luxury tax bill (the only time the Wizards have ever paid it).  He had no issues with paying IAN MAHINMI 4 years, 72 million to never play!  

He employed the WORST GM in the NBA in Ernie Grunfeld for 17 years!  He has a stated on the record strategy of never tanking (which will lead to no man's land).  Picking 9-12 gets you role players and not stars.  Why do you think Masai (from the Raptors) and Tim Connelly turned down the Wizards GM offer?  Why do you think no one except Grunfeld's #2 would accept the job?  

He's also a giant douche.  See this Washington Post article about a fan posting a sign advocating for firing Grunfeld:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2016/12/15/why-i-showed-ted-leonsis-my-fire-ernie-sign-at-a-wizards-game/

"Wizards owner Ted Leonsis, however, wasn’t as pleased. As my friend and I held up the sign before halftime to grab Leonsis’s attention, he asked why we talked so much and how old I was. After I replied that I was 25, he commented that I acted more like I was 15. He said that I should act my age. Then, a few minutes after the second half began, he came over to my seat, on his own accord, and handed me a cookie. The Wizards owner sarcastically “thanked me” for my efforts in creating the sign"

Sheehan has said the entire strategy is to make a profit by making the 1st round and getting 2 home playoff games.  He DOESN"T CARE ABOUT TRYING TO WIN A TITLE.  

Edited by mhd24
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hersh said:

I'm not defending Leonsis. They are a terrible organization. 

But James Dolan took over running the Knicks in 99. https://www.landofbasketball.com/teams/records_new_york_knicks.htm It's as bad, if not worse, than the Wiz. At least Ted has been relatively scandal free. 

Sure, personally Leonsis is better (although this article saying the Wizards furloughed a beloved equipment man that led him to leave the organization stings.  The Heat made him their equipment man when they played the Wizards in DC)

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/34227679/inside-secret-most-sacred-nba-summer-league-tradition-tribute-jerryoke

"It may have wrapped last night with one final blowout -- a twist that Walter, 65, did not anticipate when the Wizards furloughed him at the start of the pandemic and didn't bring him back"

The Knicks won 50+ games 2 years ago.  That's something this organization still hasn't done in 40+ years.  Ultimate mom & pop organization competing against super smart teams like OKC.  This team will never win.

57 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Sure, personally Leonsis is better (although this article saying the Wizards furloughed a beloved equipment man that led him to leave the organization stings.  The Heat made him their equipment man when they played the Wizards in DC)

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/34227679/inside-secret-most-sacred-nba-summer-league-tradition-tribute-jerryoke

"It may have wrapped last night with one final blowout -- a twist that Walter, 65, did not anticipate when the Wizards furloughed him at the start of the pandemic and didn't bring him back"

The Knicks won 50+ games 2 years ago.  That's something this organization still hasn't done in 40+ years.  Ultimate mom & pop organization competing against super smart teams like OKC.  This team will never win.

The Knicks did NOT win 50+ games years ago. Since Ted took over full control of the team in 2010, the team has 5 playoff appearances and 5 seasons winning 40+ games. The Knicks, in that same timeframe, have one 50+ win season and two 40+ win seasons while making the playoffs four times. The Wiz, amazingly have had more playoff success in that timeframe. In the prior ten years for Dolan, he had one other 40+ win season. 

I'm annoyed defending Ted but that's how awful Dolan has been for the NBA. 

Edited by Hersh

1 hour ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

Leonsis performs vastly better as an owner than a considerable percentage of Wizards “fans” perform as fans.

There aren't many DC fan bases barely clinging to life like as bad as the football team, Wizards fan deserve a pass for even being Wizards fans at this point.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mhd24 said:

Sheehan has said the entire strategy is to make a profit by making the 1st round and getting 2 home playoff games.  He DOESN"T CARE ABOUT TRYING TO WIN A TITLE.  

Most of the money is from the TV deals now, it's not like all the teams went in the red during the bubble season when no fans were allowed.  I've said he's too stingy with respect to the luxury tax, but believe he's jus another one that wants to win his way.

56 minutes ago, Hersh said:

The Knicks did NOT win 50+ games years ago. Since Ted took over full control of the team in 2010, the team has 5 playoff appearances and 5 seasons winning 40+ games. The Knicks, in that same timeframe, have one 50+ win season and two 40+ win seasons while making the playoffs four times. The Wiz, amazingly have had more playoff success in that timeframe. In the prior ten years for Dolan, he had one other 40+ win season. 

I'm annoyed defending Ted but that's how awful Dolan has been for the NBA. 

My bad.  I confused the Randle playoff-led team with the Melo-50 win season (that went to the 2nd round).  Getting to the playoffs isn't hard in the NBA considering more than 50% of the teams are ensured of getting in every year.  The goal is the win a title.  

I mean Dolan is the 2nd worst owner for sure (Vivek at least seems sincere at trying to win and he's not afraid of tanking).  Any true die-hard Wiz fan knows Leonsis sucks as an owner.  I still think every eastern conference team is miles ahead of the Wizards.  Cleveland tanked for 3 years and got 2 studs (they whiffed on Okaro, but that was a bad draft (Pat Williams went 4th!)).   

I'm glad Orlando didn't take Giddey.  He's going to be GREAT.  Still, the Wizards are stuck in a hole of mediocrity.  Hollinger and Lowe ripped them recently.  I'm glad national reporters are at least talking about (our local reporters are too nice and don't care for any criticism).  

13 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Most of the money is from the TV deals now, it's not like all the teams went in the red during the bubble season when no fans were allowed.  I've said he's too stingy with respect to the luxury tax, but believe he's jus another one that wants to win his way.

Trading a future 1st (which turned out to be Jarrett Allen)+Nicholson to save money showed he only cares about money.  Moving Buck & Phil from traditional court-side TV seats to way up in the rafters so he could sell a couple of more courtside seats shows he doesn't care.  Then replacing Buck & Phil with lower-paid replacements shows he only cares about money.

If Snyder did that to our announcers, he'd be crucified.  

Edited by mhd24

3 hours ago, mhd24 said:

My bad.  I confused the Randle playoff-led team with the Melo-50 win season (that went to the 2nd round).  Getting to the playoffs isn't hard in the NBA considering more than 50% of the teams are ensured of getting in every year.  The goal is the win a title.  

I mean Dolan is the 2nd worst owner for sure (Vivek at least seems sincere at trying to win and he's not afraid of tanking).  Any true die-hard Wiz fan knows Leonsis sucks as an owner.  I still think every eastern conference team is miles ahead of the Wizards.  Cleveland tanked for 3 years and got 2 studs (they whiffed on Okaro, but that was a bad draft (Pat Williams went 4th!)).   

I'm glad Orlando didn't take Giddey.  He's going to be GREAT.  Still, the Wizards are stuck in a hole of mediocrity.  Hollinger and Lowe ripped them recently.  I'm glad national reporters are at least talking about (our local reporters are too nice and don't care for any criticism).  

Trading a future 1st (which turned out to be Jarrett Allen)+Nicholson to save money showed he only cares about money.  Moving Buck & Phil from traditional court-side TV seats to way up in the rafters so he could sell a couple of more courtside seats shows he doesn't care.  Then replacing Buck & Phil with lower-paid replacements shows he only cares about money.

If Snyder did that to our announcers, he'd be crucified.  

I think everyone here agrees that Leonsis sucks as an owner. 

• Like 1