Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Johnny Davis looks god awful.  Unseld just admitted he won't play much at all early in season.  Davis has no confidence, is unathletic, and can't shoot.  Another smart poster on a Wiz board said Davis' best bet is to be like Pat Beverly and concentrate on defense.  What a god awful pick. 

A variation of a prior post of mine on why the Wizards have the worst future of any team in the NBA...

Here is a variation of a prior post from me comparing every team in the NBA vs the Wizards...
WEST:
The contenders:
1). Denver 
2). GSW
3). Suns
4). Mavs
5). Clippers
6). Memphis

The good teams with young stars:
7). Pelicans

The teams with better rosters and will win more than the Wiz:
8). Lakers
9). Portland (Sharpe & Simons already are better young players than anything this stupid team has)
10. Kings (Murray is looking great and will prove the doubters on the draft day wrong)

The rebuilders:
11). Jazz
12). Utah
13). OKC
14). Houston
15). SAS

EAST
The contenders:
1). Bucks
2). Celtics
3). Heat
4). 76ers
5). Nets (as long as they have KD, insane Kyrie, and Simmons)

The good teams with young stars:
6). Hawks
7). Raptors
8). Cleveland (smart FO that knew when to tank. Mobely is a STUD)

The teams with better rosters and will win more than the Wiz:
9). Bulls (Last year may have been the peak, but they will win more than the Wizards and are doing the treadmill strategy better. At least they can draft good young players like Ayo where we take players like Todd instead in the 2nd)

The rebuilders:
10). Detroit (Ivey & Cade is a great start)
11). Orlando (Wagner was a home run pick. Suggs looked bad last year, but he'll get time. They are on their way)
12). Indiana (great young start to their rebuild (something their owner never permitted before. Tyrese, Duarte, and their #5 pick from Zona is a great foundation. They also have no bad longterm contracts)

The we have 1 young star:
13). Hornets (Bridges being a scumbag killed them. They still have LaMelo).
14). Knicks (They want to win now. Have a TON of future draft capital and don't have much horrible contracts either).

The stupid-idiotic strategy of going for the play-in:
15). Wizards (Dumbest team in the NBA. Has no strategy nor desire to ever try and win a title. Leonsis is the worst)

In essence, every team in team in the NBA has a brighter future than this sorry team. I hope we lose every game!

• Thumb down 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

My prediction - they will suck again.

If Porzingis stays healthy and he and Beal ball out, 8 seed is their ceiling.

Yup.  KP is the best player on the team.  He deserves better than this crappy organization.  I wonder if he balls out (and we still suck), if he's traded in mid-season.

Just now, Ball Security said:

I locked in the over 36.5 wins. Let’s go! 😎

Don't see it unless they go on a streak against smarter teams (i.e. the tanking teams like Utah, SAS, Indy) late in the year.  The EAST is going to be a bloodbath.  Boston, Bucks, 76ers, Raptors, Heat, Cavs, Atlanta, Nets are all clearly better.  Knicks & Bulls are assuredly going to be better.  Orlando & Detroit are teams on the rise (Magic FO is smart and traded away Vuc for Wagner+Bulls top 4 protected first this year.  Wagner is better than young player on this crappy team).  Hornets at least have Ball, Rozier, and Hayward (although they should be tanking).  Indy is the only team clearly tanking.

41 minutes ago, Long n Left said:

Well @mhd24, you’ve got me stoked for this season!

Better go buy some more bourbon 

KP, Deni, Kispert, Beal, Rui, and Wright (really tenacious defender) are the only reasons to watch this mediocrity.  I'm already out on Davis.  Hated the pick from day 1.

This is not a 50 win team, but not a lottery team either.  I'll even go so far as to say they aren't a play-in team either, if they can stay healthy when it matters. 

Lotta depth, and starting front court is pretty nasty on paper.  They'll survive at PG and make a trade if they have to like they always do.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

This is not a 50 win team, but not a lottery team either.  I'll even go so far as to say they aren't a play-in team either, if they can stay healthy when it matters. 

Lotta depth, and starting front court is pretty nasty on paper.  They'll survive at PG and make a trade if they have to like they always do.

Not a play-in team?  How are they going to finish ahead of...

1). Bucks

2). Celtics

3). 76ers

4). Heat

5). Raptors

6). Nets

That's not even counting Cleveland & Atlanta (teams with far superior rosters).  

25 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Not a play-in team?  How are they going to finish ahead of...

1). Bucks

2). Celtics

3). 76ers

4). Heat

5). Raptors

6). Nets

That's not even counting Cleveland & Atlanta (teams with far superior rosters).  

You are overrating the Nets and Raptors ability to deal with our front court, they don't scare me.  Cleveland and Atlanta should be wait and see mode as well overall. 

The top 4 East teams had near identical records last year, same with the 7 through 10 teams.  Getting in the sweet spot between those two groups isn't as crazy as it sounds, should I be terrified of Chicago and Charlotte as well?

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

You are overrating the Nets and Raptors ability to deal with our front court, they don't scare me.  Cleveland and Atlanta should be wait and see mode as well overall. 

The top 4 East teams had near identical records last year, same with the 7 through 10 teams.  Getting in the sweet spot between those two groups isn't as crazy as it sounds, should I be terrified of Chicago and Charlotte as well?

I'm not scared of Charlotte.  They are in the same tier as us.  They should be tanking.  Losing Bridges killed them.

Cleveland has Mitchell (comparable to Beal except younger), with Garland & Mobely (young studs), and Allen (excellent defensive center & rim runner).  That's not even counting LaVert, Love, Osmon, and Okoro (kind of a bust for his draft position, but he'll get open looks all day) as role guys.  They are massively ahead of us. 

Atlanta with Trey, Murray, Bogs, Hunter, Capella, Collins, and Okongwu is massively ahead of us too.  They are younger and much more athletic.  Also, unlike this sorry team, they have actually experienced success.  The Wizards are one of the least athletic teams in the NBA.  No one on the team has any ups :)

Toronto is a pain to play against for anyone.  They are a team filled with 6'7-6'10 guys who switch aside from Van Vleet.  Barnes is going to be GREAT.  They are also way better coached.

Chicago is a vet team that hits on picks (we take a project who will be out of league in Todd while they get Ayo in the 2nd rounder after we took Todd).  They have no incentive to tank as they don't own their pick.  Carusso is way better than Monte Morris, Barton, etc (our role playing guards).  They can sustain the loss of Ball.

Regarding the Nets, as long KD is healthy, Kyrie stays sane, they will be better than us.  They have tons of shooting (a major weakness for this team).

Who in our front court scares anyone aside from KP?  Rui has talent, but he's a deficient rebounder & horrible team defender.  Deni has the most talent, but he has to make layups and be able to go left.  Kuzma is a vet who will good & bad games.  Not a game changer.  Gafford has regressed since Westbrook left. 

@mhd24 you tripping saying no one on this team has any ups or athleticism, hard to take tou seriously how badly you trying to trash this team. 

Kuz is a borderline all-star, Rui is a four that can play the three and hasn't met his potential yet, and Gafford is same player he has been since he got here, the only center I've ever seen that if he gets the ball under the rim is dunking it.  Front court has plenty of athleticism and depth.

Beal averages 30ppg again they'll be fine, I'll admit it the whole team is built around and dependent on that. But he's done it before, can do it again.

4 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

@mhd24 you tripping saying no one on this team has any ups or athleticism, hard to take tou seriously how badly you trying to trash this team. 

Kuz is a borderline all-star, Rui is a four that can play the three and hasn't met his potential yet, and Gafford is same player he has been since he got here, the only center I've ever seen that if he gets the ball under the rim is dunking it.  Front court has plenty of athleticism and depth.

Beal averages 30ppg again they'll be fine, I'll admit it the whole team is built around and dependent on that. But he's done it before, can do it again.

Kuzma is a good vet role-playing forward.  He's no all-star though.  He's valuable in that can he can switch, get hot, and even play small-ball center.  However, he's not talented enough to make an all-star team (which is overrated as ALL-NBA matter much more to me).  Just in the EAST, the all-star caliber forwards would be Giannis, KD, Tatum, Simmons (all-world defender, but who knows), Brown, Pascal, Barnes, Randle (overrated and overpaid), Demar, Middleton, Collins, Butler, Mobely.  That's not even counting a projected big jump from Cade.

Kuzma isn't in the same league as those guys (no disrespect, he's a good player, but he's not on that tier).

Rui has legit talent (no doubt).  He's got to show it.  Defensively, he's just bad.  He's got to rebound (the numbers are not good in that department).  There is a reason why DeAndre Hunter just got extended & Rui didn't (both from the same draft class).

Gafford has hops, but he got bullied by Charlotte's 3rd string center in the 3rd pre-season game.  He's a quality backup center, but I expected more after extending him.  Russ made his life easy.  Luckily KP (assuming he's healthy) is cemented as the starting center.

Beal's 3-point shooting has regressed big time.  What happened?  When you're making that much coin, it isn't unreasonable to expect him to keep his shooting form.

Three of the problems for the Wiz:

- There will be not enough shots to go around for some of these guys to be effective. Which leads to...

- Too many bad defensive players on this team. 

-You've got 4 guys playing of their next contract and Deni is playing for the rookie extension that Rui didn't get.

The team could be okay but their defense will be poor. Even the players have acknowledge that this season comes down to how they play D. 

@mhd24 you backtracking on our overall athleticism and having the audacity to say you'd rather have Ben Simmons then Kuzma makes me want to end this conversation and jus say "wait and see".

Everyone's three point shooting dropped last year, not jus Beals, who knows how much having a first year head coach struggling to scheme an offense had an effect on that. 

Hes now a 2nd year HC, I'm refusing to panic or bury this team before they even play Indiana. Throwing Gafford in the trash over a 3rd preseason game, man, cmon...

10 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

@mhd24 you backtracking on our overall athleticism and having the audacity to say you'd rather have Ben Simmons then Kuzma makes me want to end this conversation and jus say "wait and see".

Everyone's three point shooting dropped last year, not jus Beals, who knows how much having a first year head coach struggling to scheme an offense had an effect on that. 

Hes now a 2nd year HC, I'm refusing to panic or bury this team before they even play Indiana. Throwing Gafford in the trash over a 3rd preseason game, man, cmon...

Ben Simmons is easily an all-star talent.  He's a head case though obviously.  He's an ELITE defensive player and playmaker.  I wouldn't want him at his salary and the risk it comes with it.  Nevertheless, he's an all-star talent.  Much more than Kuzma (again no disrespect, but he's good role player, not an all-star).  There is a difference in talent between the two.  There's a reason why Simmons went #1 in the draft.  Even taking off Simmons from that list, you telling me Kuzma is a better bet to make the all-star team than anyone else on that list? 

Beal's 3 point decline has been dramatic over the years.  Wall made his life easy.

2016-2017:  40.4

2017-2018:  37.5

2018-2019:  35.1

2019-2020:  35.3

2020-2021:  34.9

2021-2022:  30.0

Regarding athleticism, Gafford is athletic, but he gets bullied in the paint.  That pre-season game wasn't the first time either.  He's perfectly suited as a backup center type on a good salary (considering the spike in the. cap coming up).  However, I expected more after the extension.  Davis isn't a high end athlete.  Kispert isn't.  Beal isn't.  Morris isn't.  Barton isn't.  Deni isn't (he's a very good defender though).  Only above average athletes are Wright (who should be starting), Gaff, & Rui in the rotation.  KP's injuries sapped a ton of his athleticism unfortunately.     

@mhd24 you really with a straight face put more of a defense for Simmons who basically stopped shooting his last games playing and made ever excuse possible not to play last year then your own team's players? 

I didn't say he Kuz was an all-star, said borderline, and with format now where it's all forwards and guards, he absolutely can build on what he did last year and get in as a reserve.

Dude, Oden was a #1 overall pick, that's not a factor in whether a player is better or not then any other these days.  You concern me dogging your team so badly while praising some one who keeping bailing on theirs in Simmons.

Edited by Renegade7

35 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

@mhd24 you really with a straight face put more of a defense for Simmons who basically stopped shooting his last games playing and made ever excuse possible not to play last year then your own team's players? 

I didn't say he Kuz was an all-star, said borderline, and with format now where it's all forwards and guards, he absolutely can build on what he did last year and get in as a reserve.

Dude, Oden was a #1 overall pick, that's not a factor in whether a player is better or not then any other these days.  You concern me dogging your team so badly while praising some one who keeping bailing on theirs in Simmons.

I did say Simmons was a head case and someone at his salary I wouldn't want.  However, he's made an ALL-NBA team and 3 all star teams and always has been elite defensive player capable of guarding anyone on the court.  The talent is there.  The mentality (on offense with respect to shooting (he's an excellent ball handler and passer)) isn't.  

Kuz isn't ever making an all-star team (again no disrespect).  If you include my forward list, and include centers (Embiid & Bam), and guards (Kyrie (nutcase nothwithstanding), Harden (horrible reputation notwithstanding), Garland (ascending talent), Jrue, Beal, Trey, Murray, LaMelo, LaVine, etc, there is no spot available.  

Before that substitution, noticed on the Pacers side of the floor, each Wizards player was bigger then the Pacers player they were standing next to.

So badly hoping we stay healthy, Indiana doesn't have an answer for our Front Court and Unicorn acting jus like that.

I don't know if it can hide the backcourt, Beal is probably only guy I trust and he still has to earn some back.  I've already seen some really odd plays by our guards or inability to finish, no like.