Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

3 hours ago, mhd24 said:

Trading a future 1st (which turned out to be Jarrett Allen)+Nicholson to save money showed he only cares about money.  

Timeout, didn't you jus say we traded that first that ended up being Allen for what turned into a one year rental because we didn't resign that dude from Brooklyn we traded for?  Now it's a cost saving move?  That was Ernie getting desperate trading for Bogdanavich, not a cost saving move forced by Ted.

3 hours ago, mhd24 said:

Moving Buck & Phil from traditional court-side TV seats to way up in the rafters so he could sell a couple of more courtside seats shows he doesn't care.

Are we sure we're only team that does this now post-pandemic?  I thought it was because being courtside with that much plexiglass around them was a dangerous and jus haven't moved back down yet (may never now), could be wrong.

3 hours ago, mhd24 said:

Then replacing Buck & Phil with lower-paid replacements shows he only cares about money.

I also hate spending this much time defending Ted, but that was a Comcast decision.  Comcast was paying them, not Ted.

3 hours ago, mhd24 said:

If Snyder did that to our announcers, he'd be crucified.  

*Frank Herzog has entered the chat 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I also hate spending this much time defending Ted, but that was a Comcast decision.  Comcast was paying them, not Ted.

Monumental has equity ownership in NBC Washington and has seats in the board.  Neither Leonsis nor his son reached out to Phil and Buck in the months after their dismissal.  Buck has been on record that Leonsis definitely could have stepped in.  I'm not giving him a pass because he technically got his stooges at NBC Washington to do his dirty work for him.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bearrock said:

Monumental has equity ownership in NBC Washington and has seats in the board.  Neither Leonsis nor his son reached out to Phil and Buck in the months after their dismissal.  Buck has been on record that Leonsis definitely could have stepped in.  I'm not giving him a pass because he technically got his stooges at NBC Washington to do his dirty work for him.

Stop this, yall really think Ted wanted to get rid of Phil and Buck vs Comcast wanting to go a new direction with younger commentators?  

Ted deserves to be called out for acting like nothing happened, but I'm not buying he was behind getting rid of them.  

And I know no one wants to hear this, but Kara wasn't that much of a downgrade from Phil, if at all.  Steve shoulda been allowed to go out on his own terms, but if it can happen to Herzog it can happen to anyone around that long.  I took it as more business (bad business), not personal.  

What beef yall think Ted has with Phil and Buck anyway to make comments like this?  Show me the carfax, I'll listen...

3 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Timeout, didn't you jus say we traded that first that ended up being Allen for what turned into a one year rental because we didn't resign that dude from Brooklyn we traded for?  Now it's a cost saving move?  That was Ernie getting desperate trading for Bogdanavich, not a cost saving move forced by Ted.

Are we sure we're only team that does this now post-pandemic?  I thought it was because being courtside with that much plexiglass around them was a dangerous and jus haven't moved back down yet (may never now), could be wrong.

*Frank Herzog has entered the chat 

They traded Nicholson+1st (Jarrett Allen) for a 2 month rental in Bogdonovich (whom Brooks didn't bother to play in the playoffs against Boston.  Turns out that Bogdonovich is pretty good considering he was excellent for Indy and Utah).  They got out of the rest of Nicholson's contract (signed idiotically alongside Mahinmi and Jason Smith the previous off-season after every FA worth anything spurned them because they know this is a Mom & Pop organization) to ensure they'd only pay 7 million in luxury tax payments the following year (the ONLY time Leonsis has ever paid the luxury tax).  Nicholson never played a meaningful minute in the NBA after signing that contract.  They were never resigning Bogdonovich because they needed to match Porter (whom Brooklyn signed to a max offer sheet).  

Regarding Buck & Phil, they moved them out of courtside long before the pandemic.  The rest of the league has quality broadcasts for the most part (Lakers, Nets, Heat, and the Knicks are the best production value in the NBA by far).  Opposing announcers have complained on air about how high they are in the rafters when commentating.

Replacing Buck & Phil was a total Leonsis move (his son apparently):

https://washingtoncitypaper.com/article/179365/steve-buckhantz-deserved-better-from-the-washington-wizards/

"But the true villains of the piece are lurking elsewhere. That would be team owner Ted Leonsis and his 30-something son, Zach. Sources have indicated they believe that millennial Zach, listed as senior vice president of strategic initiatives for Monumental Sports & Entertainment and general manager of Monumental Sports Network, was pushing for a change. And his father obviously acquiesced"

I also remember J. Michael (former Wizards insider who now lives in Indy and covers the Pacers) tweeting that it was an ownership-directed move.

• Like 1

I can't imagine he wants to play here anymore than he did the first time, which was not at all.  He's better off staying in Brooklyn, which I suspect is what happens.  Cooler heads will prevail. KD will eat some humble pie and run it back.

There's just no deal worth a damn that puts him in a better spot than where he is now.  

Edited by justice98

There is zero chance the Wiz can put together a better offer than the Knicks. WTF they didn't go after Murray is something I don't understand. He was a perfect fit next to Beal. 

1 hour ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

Mitchell + Beal + Porzingis would be a good threesome. If they could somehow hold onto Kuzma in the trade, this would be an interesting starting 5 full of size, athleticism, and shooting

Mitchell

Beal

Kuzma

Porzingis

Gafford

Porzingis and Kuzma are a waste in that lineup. Mitchell and Beal will put up every shot. 

28 minutes ago, bearrock said:

Does DC have enough ammo?  And why on earth are the Hawks in that mix?

Zero idea. I'm skeptical of the report. I'm skeptical that Tommy did anything beyond just checking in, which I'm sure most GMs did. The Wiz cannot match what the Knicks can offer for DMitch nor can the match the offers out there for KD. 

• Sad 1

Turned on TV and Sports Junkies came on, talking Mystics.

And almost immediately started making excuses for why don't want to spend a lot of time talking about them, saying it's a ratings thing and people will tune out more if they "talk about them too much".

Seriously?  Arguably the best professional sports team in DC with other ones either hot garbage or in their offseason, what else is there to talk about?  I get there needing to be a limit given the popularity of WNBA, but the way they were laughing it off kinda made me sick, I'll be honest.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

And almost immediately started making excuses for why don't want to spend a lot of time talking about them, saying it's a ratings thing and people will tune out more if they "talk about them too much".

Seriously?  Arguably the best professional sports team in DC with other ones either hot garbage or in their offseason, what else is there to talk about?  I get there needing to be a limit given the popularity of WNBA, but the way they were laughing it off kinda made me sick, I'll be honest.

I watched the Bill Burr special on Netflix last night.  He had a good bit blaming feminists for the lack of popularity of the WNBA.

3 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

They only brought it up because a caller asked them why they don’t talk about the Mystics. The same caller admitted he didn’t actually watch Mystics games. 

It was you that called in wasn’t it?😂

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, CobraCommander said:

They only brought it up because a caller asked them why they don’t talk about the Mystics. The same caller admitted he didn’t actually watch Mystics games. 

It was you that called in wasn’t it?😂

I caught that, too, like, bruh :rofl89:

Nah, I actually watch and been to games.  Kinda frustrated I had to add that stupid CBS Sportsnetwork to get more of them, thought NBC Sports Washington would have my back carrying DC United now, but apparently not 😒

21 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

I watched the Bill Burr special on Netflix last night.  He had a good bit blaming feminists for the lack of popularity of the WNBA.

Bill Burr is the man, thanks for heads up on that

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1

WNBA has been trending up though.  Their ratings have been in the 300K range, which isn't too far behind MLS's 400K range.  Considering the mishmash of terrible coverage, that's pretty good.  MLS just got 10 year 2.5 billion from Apple (though I think that's insane), so WNBA may see a significant revenue boost when their current TV deal ends in 2025.  

Edited by bearrock
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1